[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jets running up the score

Chief Dick

In 2007 Matt Cassel through for 38 yards for 0 touchdowns and 1 INT. I don't know what that playing time equals out to but it doesn't seem like a lot me.

Yes, I think I remember this game. It was the game against the Redskins (and Joe Gibbs) when NE was winning like 50-7 or something. Belicheck puts in Cassel in the 4th quarter who proceeds to throw an INT. WAS scores a TD on the turnover, and Bill goes right back to Brady on the next series because 50-14 is way to narrow a margin of victory. :wacko:

Yes, I think I remember this game. It was the game against the Redskins (and Joe Gibbs) when NE was winning like 50-7 or something. Belicheck puts in Cassel in the 4th quarter who proceeds to throw an INT. WAS scores a TD on the turnover, and Bill goes right back to Brady on the next series because 50-14 is way to narrow a margin of victory. :wacko:

:D

actually it was the game in miami, and with the interception return, it made the game a 21 point margin.

First, Disclaimer"My Opinion", With that said......We aren't talking about high school football? These are paid athletes, who are paid to perform at the highest level, It's the point on the pyramid of talent. Meaning each level the talent is groomed and selected....Youth football, base of pyramid, High School next level,College next level and finally the point of the pyramid...."The NFL". The talent and skills required to reach that level of competition are very few. In other words shame on them for not doing what there paid to do........"Play football at it's highest level! Both Offense and Defense.........There is no running up the score in the NFL.........They are "Paid".......... Maybe everyone on the Cards defense should donate there game checks to a charity of their choice? If I performed my job as poorly as they did? I may not have a job for long. The Jets took advantage of turnovers and great field position......You play until the final whistle........By the way..........The guy I played this week had Farve/Keller/Coles and the Keller TD almost cost me a 51" flat screen........

:wacko:

actually it was the game in miami, and with the interception return, it made the game a 21 point margin.

Oh you're right. Sorry I was thinking of the Washington game where the Pats won 52-7 and Cassel threw 28 of his season total 38 yards. :D

Stats don't tell the whole story. As it was already noted, it was against the Dolphins. Brady only played the first half of the game, until Cassell tossed the pick-6 and the Dolphins scored two quick TD's. Brady came back in for one series to throw another TD to put the game away and came back off the field.

As for the Redskins game, one of only two games of the season you could even remotely call "Running up the score", the other being Buffalo, the Patriots were up 45-0 in the third quarter. Brady was out of the game five minutes into the fourth. Just because the Redskins didn't want to play, doesn't mean the Patriots had to rip off their fans and throw backups into the game at half time to pity the millionaires on the other side of the field.

Edit to add: Hell, looking back at the box score, Brady only played in three possessions of the entire second half.... Those darned running up the scorer's.

Edited by PatsFanCT

The real title of the thread should be this question: Should professional coaches practice good sportsmanship?

That Pats are lucky this isn't baseball.

The Jets weren't running it up. They were just respecting Arizona's offense.

Have some class, show some sportsmanship. Running up the score just isn't in the spirit of good competetion.

You would never ever see Mike Holmgren, Bill Cowher, Bill Parcells, Bill Walsh, Dan Reeves, Marty Schottenheimer, Dick Vermeil, Jon Gruden, Andy Reid, Mike Ditka, Don Shula or any other coach with a tremendous amount of respect for the game running up the score.....even if it would be out of revenge.

In fact, I remember a game last year where the Seahawks scored a passing touchdown pretty late to go up like 17, and Holmgren practically sprinted across the field after the game to make sure that the opposing coach wasn't offended, trying to explain his situation. I remember Holmgren talking about it on his weekly tv show talking about how the Seahawks always like to make things interesting at the end of games and he just wanted to finish the game right there and then. You're nuts if you think a lot of these guys don't take sportsmanship seriously, paid or not.

Edited by Seahawks21

You would never ever see Mike Holmgren, Bill Cowher, Bill Parcells, Bill Walsh, Dan Reeves, Marty Schottenheimer, Dick Vermeil, Jon Gruden, Andy Reid, Mike Ditka, Don Shula or any other coach with a tremendous amount of respect for the game running up the score.....even if it would be out of revenge.

In fact, I remember a game last year where the Seahawks scored a passing touchdown pretty late to go up like 17, and Holmgren practically sprinted across the field after the game to make sure that the opposing coach wasn't offended, trying to explain his situation. I remember Holmgren talking about it on his weekly tv show talking about how the Seahawks always like to make things interesting at the end of games and he just wanted to finish the game right there and then. You're nuts if you think a lot of these guys don't take sportsmanship seriously, paid or not.

First of all, that's bullpoopy. Second of all, there is no such thing as running up the score. Thirdly are you sending Santa a Christmas list this year? And as a side note, how much does the tooth ferry give you for a molar?

tia

Edit to add: That's an awesome language filter.

Edited by PatsFanCT