[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Linehan Fired

STL Fan

Local TV here in the Lou is reporting and ESPN is reporting that Linehan has been fired and that Haslett is to be named interim at a news conference later today.

Haslett. :wacko: Be careful what you wish for I guess.

I heard this in the shower, it was a 2 part scene....

Scene 1: "Linehan fired" - twiley hooting and waaahoooooing

Scene 2: 'Interim coach Jim Haslett will..." - jeebus christ, g-damn sum ofa bitch - :wacko: go f-yourself zygmunt, f-me sideways. :D:D

:D

Edited by twiley

This was from a friend this morning that had ties to the Saints organization:

My fav Jim Haslett story (this is a true one) now that he is coach of Rams. Saints play at Arizona. Very attractive stewardess on plane.

Haslett catches Jay Bellemy (worthless saints safety) looking her over. Haz says "if you bang her; you dont have to practice this week."

Bellemy, presumably forgetting gameplan, does just that and Haz announces the conquest to the team following a saints loss.

Have fun Rams!

Scene 2: 'Interim coach Jim Haslett will..." - jeebus christ, g-damn sum ofa bitch - :wacko: go f-yourself zygmunt, f-me sideways. :D:D

It's probably the best thing for the Rams right now, as Haslett actually has HC experience and knows how to get a team to play for him.

That said, I agree that the Rams need to look elsewhere next Spring.

:D

Haslett took Ditka's 3-13 mess and turned it into 10-6 and a playoff appearance the following year, with Jeff Blake and Aaron Brooks at QB. Or did you forget about that? :wacko:

I'm not in any way claiming that Haslett is a good HC, or even an above-average one. But he seems like a pretty decent get-me-by coach for the remainder of an already lost season. He's at least had SOME success as a HC. Who else on the Rams staff would be a better option?

Haslett took Ditka's 3-13 mess and turned it into 10-6 and a playoff appearance the following year, with Jeff Blake and Aaron Brooks at QB. Or did you forget about that? :wacko:

I'm not in any way claiming that Haslett is a good HC, or even an above-average one. But he seems like a pretty decent get-me-by coach for the remainder of an already lost season. He's at least had SOME success as a HC. Who else on the Rams staff would be a better option?

twiley's story is pretty good - I've also heard tales of "Mandatory Team Parties" in nawlin's while he was HC.

So..he's a bit of a clown but I bet he wins 5 or 6 games. So he'll be around .500 in StL.

Haslett took Ditka's "mess" and went 10-6 with a playoff appearance. After which he had records of 7-9, 9-7, 8-8, 8-8 and finally... 3-13. Doesn't sound so great when you get the whole picture does it?

Good luck with mediocrity & ultimate failure, we lived with it long enough. Maybe in St Louis they can keep his mind off the cheerleader game plan & on winning.

Edited by rajncajn

Haslett took Ditka's "mess" and went 10-6 with a playoff appearance. After which he had records of 7-9, 9-7, 8-8, 8-8 and finally... 3-13. Doesn't sound so great when you get the whole picture does it?

Again, who on St. Louis' current coaching staff is a better choice? Are you going to answer the question or just mindlessly beat the "Haslett Sucks" drum?

Good luck with mediocrity & ultimate failure, we lived with it long enough.

Again, I said that Haslett is a good TEMPORARY fix for a team that is sorely lacking in talent and has not shot in hell of winning anything this season. That doesn't sound so bad when you consider that I'm not calling for Haslett to PERMANENTLY take over, does it?

Again, who on St. Louis' current coaching staff is a better choice? Are you going to answer the question or just mindlessly beat the "Haslett Sucks" drum?

Again, I said that Haslett is a good TEMPORARY fix for a team that is sorely lacking in talent and has not shot in hell of winning anything this season. That doesn't sound so bad when you consider that I'm not calling for Haslett to PERMANENTLY take over, does it?

When have you ever known me to mindlessly beat any dead horse? Especially when it comes to Saints-related material. :D

Who says they have to get someone on the current coaching staff? Who says Haslett would be best for the job this season? Given his past history I seriously doubt they get any better than what they already are & could end up even worse off than with Linehan. You had originally said that Haslett has HC experience and knows how to get a team to play for him, I find that laughable. You rebutted with his record in his first year with the Saints, but most would argue that he took what was an already very good team & over the course of 6 years drove them into the ground.

MAYBE Haslett ends up being a good temporary fix. But why should the Def. Coordinator get promoted to Head Coach when his unit might be the worst in the league and gives up 35 points per game? He is a HUGE part of the problem.
:wacko: Edited by rajncajn

MAYBE Haslett ends up being a good temporary fix. But why should the Def. Coordinator get promoted to Head Coach when his unit might be the worst in the league and gives up 35 points per game? He is a HUGE part of the problem.

So he is not defensive coordinator anymore?

When have you ever known me to mindlessly beat any dead horse? Especially when it comes to Saints-related material. :wacko:

Not until today.

Who says they have to get someone on the current coaching staff?

So the Rams are going to sign Bill Cowher or drag Dick Vermeil out of retirement mid-season? Where is the precedent for a team bringing in somebody outside of the organization into the HC role mid-season?

Who says Haslett would be best for the job this season? Given his past history I seriously doubt they get any better than what they already are & could end up even worse off than with Linehan.

Again, give the name of somebody in the Rams organization who is more qualified than Haslett. He may be a mediocre/below-average HC, but he's actually BEEN a HC before and has had a sprinkle of success. They're not going outside of the organization to bring in a guy with a completely different system and philosophy for three months.

You had originally said that Haslett has HC experience and knows how to get a team to play for him, I find that laughable.

I'm not sure why you find that "laughable", because it's correct. Ditka lost the Saints by '99. Haslett took them from 3-13 to 10-6 in just one season. I'd say that he most definitely got them to play for him, even if it only lasted for a couple of years.

You rebutted with his record in his first year with the Saints, but most would argue that he took what was an already very good team & over the course of 6 years drove them into the ground.

That won't be a problem in this case, because there's no way that Haslett will be in St. Louis for 6 years. It'll be three months.

And when were the Saints a "very good team" under Haslett? In Haslett's last five years, the Saints defense ranked 16th, 27th, 18th, 32nd, and 14th overall. And Aaron Books was their QB. Your assertion that he ruined a SB contender is "laughable", to borrow your words.

Edited by Bill Swerski

So the Rams are going to sign Bill Cowher or drag Dick Vermeil out of retirement mid-season? Where is the precedent for a team bringing in somebody outside of the organization into the HC role mid-season?

Again, give the name of somebody in the Rams organization who is more qualified than Haslett. He may be a mediocre/below-average HC, but he's actually BEEN a HC before and has had a sprinkle of success. They're not going outside of the organization to bring in a guy with a completely different system and philosophy for three months.

To be perfectly honest I have no idea whatsoever who on the Rams coaching staff could make a better HC than Jim Haslett. I don't even know who else is on the staff, nor do I care. So no, I won't bother to answer the question. That has absolutely nothing to do with me thinking Haslett as a HC and able to get guys to play for him is a joke. I find it funny because I know better, because he was the head coach of my team for 6 years. I think it's funny because we suffered 5 years (not including the 1st) thru Haslett while the Rams dominated our division and I find great humor in the irony of him possibly becoming the Rams HC.

I'm not sure why you find that "laughable", because it's correct. Ditka lost the Saints by '99. Haslett took them from 3-13 to 10-6 in just one season. I'd say that he most definitely got them to play for him, even if it only lasted for a couple of years.
Ditka was a horrible coach for the Saints, but we did have some very good players. Haslett took the team that Ditka built & ran them to the playoffs, after that it was all downhill. After playing under Ditka and going 3-10 I think the Saints would have played for my Grandmother that first year.

That won't be a problem in this case, because there's no way that Haslett will be in St. Louis for 6 years. It'll be three months.
Finally something we agree on. :D

And when were the Saints a "very good team" under Haslett? In Haslett's last five years, the Saints defense ranked 16th, 27th, 18th, 32nd, and 14th overall. And Aaron Books was their QB. Your assertion that he ruined a SB contender is "laughable", to borrow your words.
Well now you're contradicting yourself and putting words in my mouth at the same time. 10-6 with a playoff run... or did you forget about that? :D And I never mentioned anything about them being a Superbowl contender. :D

Sidenote- I miss having time to do this. :wacko:

Edited by rajncajn

To be perfectly honest I have no idea whatsoever who on the Rams coaching staff could make a better HC than Jim Haslett. I don't even know who else is on the staff, nor do I care.

So you criticize the decision, despite being completely ignorant of the Rams' realistic options. Way to go! :D

I suppose that one of the Rams' water boys would be a better option? Because, you know, they couldn't possibly be worse than Haslett. :wacko:

So no, I won't bother to answer the question. That has absolutely nothing to do with me thinking Haslett as a HC and able to get guys to play for him is a joke.

Again, Haslett turned a 3-13 team into a 10-6 team with a playoff appearance. He actually did get players to play for him... the same players that wouldn't play for Ditka. You sound pretty silly arguing that he didn't.

I find it funny because I know better, because he was the head coach of my team for 6 years.

Then you should know that Haslett can actually handle the job on a short-term basis, unlike guys like Bobby Petrino, Nick Saban, Cam Cameron, Steve Spurrier... and Scott Linehan, for that matter. This may be a real shocker, but there ARE head coaches who are actually WORSE than Haslett.

Personally, I put Haslett in the Mike Tice/Dave Wannestedt category. Competent enough to be effective in a pinch (and may get you to the playoffs if you're lucky), but not a viable long-term option. And that's about a half tier above Dave Shula/Dave Campo.

Ditka was a horrible coach for the Saints, but we did have some very good players

The Saints had a good O-line (Roaf, Turley) and an injury-prone Ricky. They got Horn and Deuce right around the time that Haslett took over. That's a solid offense (even Brooks was above average for a while), but their defense was bad for much of Haslett's tenure. As the Bengals have recently demonstrated, having some nice offensive skill-position players and a decent O-line doesn't make a good team.

Well now you're contradicting yourself and putting words in my mouth at the same time. 10-6 with a playoff run... or did you forget about that?

No contradiction on my part at all. :D I never thought that the Haslett-era Saints were that good to begin with. He over-achieved with them in 2000, IMO.

So you criticize the decision, despite being completely ignorant of the Rams' realistic options. Way to go! :D

I not criticizing the decision, I'm laughing about it for the reasons I stated and laughing at your comments about Haslett. Quite a difference. If I were the Rams head office I'd probably do the same thing. :shudder:

I suppose that one of the Rams' water boys would be a better option? Because, you know, they couldn't possibly be worse than Haslett. :D
:wacko: You could be on to something.

Again, Haslett turned a 3-13 team into a 10-6 team with a playoff appearance. He actually did get players to play for him... the same players that wouldn't play for Ditka. You sound pretty silly arguing that he didn't.
No, you sound pretty silly creating an argument out of nothing. You completely misunderstood why I laughed at your comment & you took it personally. Then when I explained, which I shouldn't have had to do, you continued to twist the subject & put words in my mouth to attempt to goad me into trying to make an argument for something I couldn't care less about. Good job though keeping it going this long. Kudos for that & good luck with your interim coach. :D

You completely misunderstood why I laughed at your comment & you took it personally. Then when I explained, which I shouldn't have had to do, you continued to twist the subject & put words in my mouth

Uh, no, that's not what happened. You said that Haslett can't get players to play for him, which I pointed out was incorrect. Then you made several retarded arguments in an attempt to back up your original ill-informed statement. And because your statements were so far off-base, you're now trying to save face by re-framing your comments.

I share your view that Haslett is a below-average coach, but I don't resort to ridiculous hyperbole to back up my analysis.

I not criticizing the decision

You're right, this doesn't sound like criticism at all...

Good luck with mediocrity & ultimate failure, we lived with it long enough

Who says Haslett would be best for the job this season? Given his past history I seriously doubt they get any better than what they already are & could end up even worse off than with Linehan. You had originally said that Haslett has HC experience and knows how to get a team to play for him, I find that laughable

:wacko:

to attempt to goad me into trying to make an argument for something I couldn't care less about.

Your numerous responses have clearly shown that. :D

I'm sorry that Jim Haslett has caused you such pain. But it's not like he knocked up your sister or something, so let's keep things in perspective, OK? :D

Edited by Bill Swerski

Good luck with mediocrity & ultimate failure, we lived with it long enough. Maybe in St Louis they can keep his mind off the cheerleader game plan & on winning.

Given the Saints history, I'm surprised there isn't a statue of him in front of the Superdome with that record.

Edited by Chavez