[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What do you think?(Running up the Score)

IrishPride

My response to the Jets running up the score post........

First, Disclaimer"My Opinion", With that said......We aren't talking about high school football? These are paid athletes, who are paid to perform at the highest level, It's the point on the pyramid of talent. Meaning each level the talent is groomed and selected....Youth football, base of pyramid, High School next level,College next level and finally the point of the pyramid...."The NFL". The talent and skills required to reach that level of competition are very few. In other words shame on them for not doing what there paid to do........"Play football at it's highest level! Both Offense and Defense.........There is no running up the score in the NFL.........They are "Paid".......... Maybe everyone on the Cards defense should donate there game checks to a charity of their choice? If I performed my job as poorly as they did? I may not have a job for long. The Jets took advantage of turnovers and great field position......You play until the final whistle........By the way..........The guy I played this week had Farve/Keller/Coles and the Keller TD almost cost me a 51" flat screen........

Good to see your opinion is so valuable you had to start your own thread on it. :wacko:

(psst....we can see it in there)

Just wondering what everyone else thinks......Not just the Jets......."Paid Athletes" And a "Mercy Rule" as a whole........I can Edit it and take out 'My Opinion" if you'd like? I'm all about "Harmony in the Huddle!" Since your #45, I imagine your Huddle Mafia...So I apologize if I stepped on your thread....I won't do it again..... :D:D

Edited by IrishPride

I don't care if a team runs up the score... If the team getting ran up on doesn't like it, then they should play better defense.

I also think that the team running up the score should be very aware of the implications of there actions... If the opposing team takes a cheap shot at one of their players, so be it. They had it coming. Oh, and the team running up the score will not always have it as easy. Teams don't forget what you do. Don't think that the rest of the entire league didn't watch the Patriots run up the score all year long. I have a feeling that some teams are going to spank them badly while they can.

I've never understood the global angst against "running up the score" (in competitive games), nor will I ever agree with its proponents. You hardly hear a peep about it in other sports such as soccer, volleyball, golf, tennis, Madden, ping-pong, beer pong, bowling, Nintendo Wii games, chess, hockey, baseball, etc., so for the life of me I cannot understand the whining when it comes to football.

The spirit of sporting competitiveness demands that an athlete puts out his best effort to achieve the best possible result. It is that effort that is his/her tribute to not only the game, but also the blood+sweat+tears that he/she has spent training and the natural talents (if any) that have been bestowed upon him/her.

In football that may be glossed over because "a win is a win" (and perhaps scoring tie-breakers should come into the whole playoffs equation), but frankly the only time and place where I feel it would be okay to let up on an opponent would be in a non-competitive, "friendly" sporting environment, like in an exhibition game/match. Not even in a junior T-ball league or whatever. Sorry, but if your kid is permanently psychologically scarred for life after his team loses 100-to-nothing then either you need to brush up on your parenting skills or choose another sport for him/her. Or have him/her join a non-competitive, "recreational" league..

There is a right way and a wrong way to do things. There doesn't need to be a written rule. Running up the score is unsportsmanlike. Every player and every team has been on the other side, and if they have not been, they will be. There is no need to show up another player or another team. Win with class. Respect your opponent. Paid or not, there is no place in any game for kicking a man when he is down. Have some class and earn the respect of your opponent and peers. That is all there is to it.

All I can, is for those teams in the NFL and college that run up the score, they should be very thankful that they don't play baseball.

I've never understood the global angst against "running up the score" (in competitive games), nor will I ever agree with its proponents. You hardly hear a peep about it in other sports such as soccer, volleyball, golf, tennis, Madden, ping-pong, beer pong, bowling, Nintendo Wii games, chess, hockey, baseball, etc., so for the life of me I cannot understand the whining when it comes to football.
Many of those games you can't "run up the score". Volleyball, tennis, and ping pong you can't runt up the score as each team really is only playing to reach a certain point. Golf you are playing for the lowest score so there is no running up as well. Bowling, Madden, Wii, chess aren't sports. Well, Wii I guess could be. Hockey and baseball you could.

I think that there is a difference between running up the score on a team that could come back, and running up the score on a "defenseless" team. I didn't see the Jets game, but from the box score it didn't look like the Cardinals were completely out of it. The Cardinals at least made a half hearted attempted comeback. Maybe I have a double standard, but I do consider 52-7 running up the score, especially when the 7 points came after the winning team was already taking their showers.

Running up the score isn't against the rules. And they are all professionals so hurt feelings shouldn't be of concern. But I also think it's good sportsmanship that when the other team has essentially thrown in the towel you don't continue to kick them. If they continue to play to win while losing, then there isn't anything wrong with continuing to play full on. But I also consider 52 unanswered points a pretty good indication that the other team isn't playing the game at hand to win.

Losing team should concede first. Put in their 2nd and 3rd stringers. Otherwise, it's still game on.

Oh, and if your 2nd string QB happens to be Frank Reich. All bets are off, I'm keeping my starters in.

(Reich, at one point had the distinction of being the QB to lead the greatest comebacks in both NFL and NCAA histories).

Many of those games you can't "run up the score". Volleyball, tennis, and ping pong you can't runt up the score as each team really is only playing to reach a certain point. Golf you are playing for the lowest score so there is no running up as well. Bowling, Madden, Wii, chess aren't sports. Well, Wii I guess could be. Hockey and baseball you could.

I know, I know. I just threw some of those in there for gits and shiggles.

NO! If the game is salted away the HC should start replacing the starters with the 2nd string and they are still putting points on the board than the other team has no excuse... Show some pride and stop them for heaven's sake!

NO! If the game is salted away the HC should start replacing the starters with the 2nd string....

At what point, exactly, is a game "salted away"?

I think when it's a case of HS or college where a better team is just complete outmatching an inferior one, you take the foot off the pedal.

In the pros, the loser can choke on it. That said, running up the score just because you can is low-rent. If we're talking the Jets/Cards game specifically, the Cards DID rack up a healthy 35 points; they obviously were still playing to win even after going down 34-0. Beating someone by 21 pts isn't that big of a deal....and when the team that's down comes roaring back with 3 tds in a quarter to get within 2 scores, you keep playing.

couple of points - i'm not bothering to read a lot, but i don't get in any way, shape or form why this game is anything akin to running up the score - the cards kept scoring and both teams were doing it so quick, just can't see even going there....

- to that point, earlier this season, Florida (college) took some heat for kciking a field goal when up maybe 3 or 4 scores - couldn't understand that either.....if they had run the ball on 4th and happened to score, would that have been "better"

- now, when you are up so comfortably there is NO shot of a loss (say 4 scores with 5 min to play when you haven't given up more than a score already), and you continue to throw flea-flickers with your starters, there's something there - in pro sports, you have that right, but it's not smart....you get your starters out, get your reserves some quality time and go a little more conservative. Now, if for whatever reason, you don't want to do that (ie, team kicked your ass last year and you just are giving it back), in the pro's that's fine. In college, usually those ridiculous 62-3 type scores are done more than half with backups, so I'm ok with it.

That does leave a question of judgement a bit, but it's usually pretty easy to see - if not, default judgement has to be somoene is NOT running up the score...