[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lateral pass...

Gopher

A play in the Indiana/Minnesota game spurred me to post this, but I've seen it even more in the NFL lately, so I'm posting here because there's more "traffic."

Indiana's QB throws an INT. The defender begins to run it back, and there are at least two other defenders within view (on screen). The first guy attempts to make a block. The second defender (a defensive back, I believe) had the opportunity to make a block as well. Instead, he sort of jogs behind the returner, with his hands open, like he's waiting for a pass!! Instead of doing his job and trying to help his teammate make a play, he basically just stands there, waiting, in case the returner pitches the ball to him as he's being tackled. :wacko:

Is it just me, or is this type of thing becoming more and more common? Years ago, the only time I ever remember seeing a lateral pass was if it was a designed play or if it was the last play of the game and the team who is losing starts pitching the ball all over the place, in a state of desperation. Today, it's becoming more and more apparent that a lot of young players assume that they could receive a lateral on any given play. It seems that if they concentrated a little bit more on blocking, it might be more beneficial to the play.

Even in the NFL, it seems we are seeing more and more of this. Randy Moss did it a couple of years ago in Minnesota, and it resulted in a touchdown. Reggie Wayne caught a lateral from Anthony Gonzalez a couple of weeks ago, and came up just short of the goal line. But, it seems like those type of positive plays are few and far between, considering how many negative things can result from an ill-advised pitch or lateral. I've seen numerous plays where a player tosses the ball as they're being tackled, only to result in a turnover or significant loss in yardage. Those plays aren't as memorable as the Moss/Gonzalez plays because positive results from a spur-of-the-moment pitch are so uncommon (plus the Colts play was so recent).

Is it just a sign of how SOME young players play today? In other words, "why make a block for someone when there is a chance he might toss it to me and I can make the play?" Almost like a schoolyard mentality, it seems. And, please note that I'm saying SOME players... I realize there are plenty of old-school guys that still play football, in the NFL and in the NCAA. I just think that this type of thing is becoming too common, just like celebrating after every play, even when you're down by 30, has gotten out of hand.

Thoughts?

A pick is a big play that can change a game, taking it to the hizzle is an even bigger game changer. i do not mind seeing a LB toss the ball to a DB and then go throw a block, he is better at blocking and the DB should have a better chance of gaining big yards.

What I do not like is when I see a guy make a pick late in a game and instead of taking a knee, he trys to score, I have even seen guys try and lateral.....that kiils me!

There may be many reasons for this, I think many players want to be on sports center and what better way than to that then a pick/lateral/TD.

A pick is a big play that can change a game, taking it to the hizzle is an even bigger game changer. i do not mind seeing a LB toss the ball to a DB and then go throw a block, he is better at blocking and the DB should have a better chance of gaining big yards.

What I do not like is when I see a guy make a pick late in a game and instead of taking a knee, he trys to score, I have even seen guys try and lateral.....that kiils me!

There may be many reasons for this, I think many players want to be on sports center and what better way than to that then a pick/lateral/TD.

No, I agree... if it's a LB or DL (or in some cases a TE/LB catches a short kickoff), I have no problem with them pitching it back to a guy who can make a play. I was more referring to the WR or defensive player who looks to lateral the ball on an average play, just to keep the play alive. It seems that there is more risk than reward, often times. What makes it worse is when players do it AS they are falling to the ground, and turn the ball over. I'm not saying it should never happen. It just seems to me that it's happening more often... not necessarily even the pitch itself, but also the player behind the runner just trailing, waiting for the lateral, rather than throwing a block.

You brought up a good point about the pick late in the game...it seems everyone wants to return it, rather than just securing the win. Another one that bothers me is DB's catching an INT in the end zone and bringing it out, rather than kneeling for a touchback, only to get tackled at their 7 yard line. As for the SportsCenter comment, I think you're absolutely right... but I think it unfortunately stems from a "me-first" attitude that many players have, more concerned about making a name for themselves with one play than making the smart play for the betterment of the team.