[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What to make of the Steelers' Running Backs this week?

irish

First of all, apologies to DMD, as I'm not supposed to be posting on the main boards as my suspension wasn't lifted. However, I figured for those of you in a bind at RB this week, having to play Mewelde Moore or those that could offer some insight to the Steelers' RB situation (homers) this article may or may not be helpful. Is the part below coach speak or is Gary Russell a sneaky play this week or is he just the "top backup" who will see limited touches? It seems that Davenport will be a non-factor as will Carey Davis. Leaving Moore (a 3rd down guy) and Russell (a solid downhill runner) to carry the load.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08277/917103-66.stm

More for Moore

Tomlin said third-down back Mewelde Moore will be the starting running back against the Jaguars because of injuries to Willie Parker, Rashard Mendenhall and Carey Davis.

However, he also said "we're prepared to be running back by committee," then added, "you know the contributors."

That means Gary Russell, who was promoted this week from the practice squad, will be the top backup to Moore. Najeh Davenport, who was re-signed this week after being released in June, will probably play only in an emergency.

"Gary is a solid downhill runner," said offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. "It's just been a numbers game at times with him. I wouldn't mind giving it to him 20 times a game. I've been waiting a couple years to see what he can really do."

Once again, sorry for posting this DMD. Just looking to help out and noticed that there was zero news on this topic both on the boards, in the projections, start-bench or in the priority news. Or maybe I just missed it.

If you are not supposed to be here, then why are you here?

Seriously.

I already answered that question. Just trying to help. But I see the way it'll be. Please delete this post as it's a problem.

ETA: Thanks for the AC help when I PM'd you in a time of need, CD.

Edited by irish

First of all, apologies to DMD, as I'm not supposed to be posting on the main boards as my suspension wasn't lifted. However, I figured for those of you in a bind at RB this week, having to play Mewelde Moore or those that could offer some insight to the Steelers' RB situation (homers) this article may or may not be helpful. Is the part below coach speak or is Gary Russell a sneaky play this week or is he just the "top backup" who will see limited touches? It seems that Davenport will be a non-factor as will Carey Davis. Leaving Moore (a 3rd down guy) and Russell (a solid downhill runner) to carry the load.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08277/917103-66.stm

More for Moore

Tomlin said third-down back Mewelde Moore will be the starting running back against the Jaguars because of injuries to Willie Parker, Rashard Mendenhall and Carey Davis.

However, he also said "we're prepared to be running back by committee," then added, "you know the contributors."

That means Gary Russell, who was promoted this week from the practice squad, will be the top backup to Moore. Najeh Davenport, who was re-signed this week after being released in June, will probably play only in an emergency.

"Gary is a solid downhill runner," said offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. "It's just been a numbers game at times with him. I wouldn't mind giving it to him 20 times a game. I've been waiting a couple years to see what he can really do."

Once again, sorry for posting this DMD. Just looking to help out and noticed that there was zero news on this topic both on the boards, in the projections, start-bench or in the priority news. Or maybe I just missed it.

Good info here. :wacko:

I actually picked up Moore on a flier last week, had the roster spot to spare, so beat out the waivers :wacko:

I'm in a really deep PPR league, I'm plugging him in this week instead of Hightower. I think he's good for 10-15 points but it's really a risky play, especially if Gary Russell ends up being 'the guy'. That being said, I like how he looked in the fourth quarter and OT last week, and I think he has a ton of upside this week. I don't think he has much value after this week though,

Oh man, I'm dyin' at RB in one of my leagues and just picked this guy up. Anyone really think he gets some carries tomorrow? :wacko:

Menudo ? :D

I'm not supposed to be posting on the main boards as my suspension wasn't lifted.

Irish, good info and picked up Moore in a couple leagues..... :D

why did you get suspended from the boards??? Been traveling so much, haven't been out here a ton this year, so missed why.... :wacko:

Oh man, I'm dyin' at RB in one of my leagues and just picked this guy up. Anyone really think he gets some carries tomorrow? :wacko:

Menudo ? :D

Russell will get some carries, but, only start him if you are EXTREMELY desperate, as I don't expect more than 5 or 6 touches.

Don't know much about this Russell cat, but Mewelde and Tomlin share history together back in Minn, he's comfortbale w/ him. Wasn't it Mewelde that came up big in OT this past wk to win them the game?

That was because he was the only healthy RB left. I would temper all expectations for anything out of the backfield this week. Parker is starting to practice so and should be back after the bye according to everything that I have heard. They only way you should have any of the backup RB's is for a handcuff for Parker. The situation is just to muddy right now to try to pick up a that for sure backup even. Moore is going to start this game vs Jax just because he was the last RB standing. Davenport will probably factor in pretty quickly and Russell, who I considered picking up, is also going to get a few touches.

Look for this week to be a lot of no huddle with Big Ben tossing the ball all over the place.

Irish, good info and picked up Moore in a couple leagues..... :D

why did you get suspended from the boards??? Been traveling so much, haven't been out here a ton this year, so missed why.... :wacko:

I copied and pasted a post that Keggerz made in the IDP forum to help some other friends I know on another board and stupidly never gave him credit for it. I apologized to him and DMD and had the post removed from the other board. DMD has since asked me to keep to my league forums here. I have also asked him to reconsider as I felt the punishment was a bit harsh to suspend me for good but haven't heard back yet. I just wanted to respond to this question but really need to avoid posting on the main boards as it could lead to a permanent ban. I only started this thread as I thought it could be helpful to my fellow huddlers and I hadn't seen anything posted or written about it here at the huddle.

Russell will get some carries, but, only start him if you are EXTREMELY desperate, as I don't expect more than 5 or 6 touches.

That was because he was the only healthy RB left. I would temper all expectations for anything out of the backfield this week. Parker is starting to practice so and should be back after the bye according to everything that I have heard. They only way you should have any of the backup RB's is for a handcuff for Parker. The situation is just to muddy right now to try to pick up a that for sure backup even. Moore is going to start this game vs Jax just because he was the last RB standing. Davenport will probably factor in pretty quickly and Russell, who I considered picking up, is also going to get a few touches.

Look for this week to be a lot of no huddle with Big Ben tossing the ball all over the place.

Thanks for the info Skippy and Menudo. I was going to start Russell tonight but think I will go with S. Young instead after reading your posts which I hoped you'd chime in with.