[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Mess that is Tyrone Willingham

Pope Flick

Although I'm a UTexas grad, I fly through here being an ND fan due to my midwest roots. And although posts here do not have a long shelf life (probably for the best) there are no doubt many of you who remember calling out ND for failing to give Ty a fair shot.

Well, he decimated their recruiting, which you saw last year in their lack of Sr and Jr level talent. If you want to engage in hyperbole about how that was Weis' fault, then All I can say is it's too bad the post where I broke down Willingham's reluctance to recruit at ND (leaving one class of 7 upon his exit). Weis has rebooted ND, and the majority of impressive players on that team are all Sophomore's.

Now, 3 years later let's see what Ty has achieved at Washington. Um, not much. He's just ran that program into the ground and won't survive the season. I'd REALLY like to hear - especially from the worst ND slammer when Ty was fired - theprofessor - how you feel about the following that took place in Huskie Country this week and yesterday:

- the top DT recruit (#12 in teh country) decommitted to go to - most likely - Cal.

- yesterday: Willingham defrered twice in the game. Yes, he won the toss and derfered in the 1st quarter. They came out from halftime and deferred again. disco fever baby! ?

- yesterday: two freshman recruits who were to be redshirted for the year were inserted in the second half of the game yesterday and are now on the hook for the entire season.

- early recruiting at UW is a shambles. They are last in the Pac 10 (as of about 2 weeks ago) and I can tell you that's par for the course for this guy.

Willingham lost it at ND. I don't know what happened to the guy, buy he came out of Stanford with all of the promise in the world and somewhere during his time in South Bend he simply gave up.

What say you Huskie fans? Care to admit that "Notre Dame's mistake" was in fact not a mistake, but rather your hiring of Willingham was?

Edited by Pope Flick

I was one that thought Ty got shafted at ND. Watching what he's done at Washington over the past 2 years has been embarrassing. Washington without question was in better shaped BEFORE he arrived then where they stand today. Most observers felt race was the issue at ND, it's nice to see that BS excuse wasn't the case, as the facts simply don't lie and are colorblind.

Can't really argue as of now. Ty has turned what should be a great program at UW into the laughingstock of the pac-10 (along with Washington State). It used to be brutally tough to play up in Washington. Now it's a vacation destination for 100 Div 1 schools. :wacko:

For the record: I don't want to appear to be hating on the guy. But there was so much "racists!" crapola spewed when they canned his ass at ND that this somewhat pissy post needed to be made in light of the trainwreck he has created at UW, more or less justifying his dismissal from ND and the likely one on the way from UW.

Can't really argue as of now. Ty has turned what should be a great program at UW into the laughingstock of the pac-10 (along with Washington State). It used to be brutally tough to play up in Washington. Now it's a vacation destination for 100 Div 1 schools. :wacko:

born and raise din Seattle - one of the premier programs in the country is now an absolute joke. Anyone with half a brain saw thins coming- Ty was and never will be the answer - he was hired for one reason- he was the safe choice after Tricky Rick. Pretty much every Husky fan I know KNEW this was a terrible hire

as a UA alum, my Wildcats were FAVORED by 24.5 last night over UW - never thought I would ever see that

UW needs to go out and hire a young, up and coming coach - and get some new life into a dead program.

Although I'm a UTexas grad, I fly through here being an ND fan due to my midwest roots. And although posts here do not have a long shelf life (probably for the best) there are no doubt many of you who remember calling out ND for failing to give Ty a fair shot.

Well, he decimated their recruiting, which you saw last year in their lack of Sr and Jr level talent. If you want to engage in hyperbole about how that was Weis' fault, then All I can say is it's too bad the post where I broke down Willingham's reluctance to recruit at ND (leaving one class of 7 upon his exit). Weis has rebooted ND, and the majority of impressive players on that team are all Sophomore's.

Now, 3 years later let's see what Ty has achieved at Washington. Um, not much. He's just ran that program into the ground and won't survive the season. I'd REALLY like to hear - especially from the worst ND slammer when Ty was fired - theprofessor - how you feel about the following that took place in Huskie Country this week and yesterday:

- the top DT recruit (#12 in teh country) decommitted to go to - most likely - Cal.

- yesterday: Willingham defrered twice in the game. Yes, he won the toss and derfered in the 1st quarter. They came out from halftime and deferred again. disco fever baby! ?

- yesterday: two freshman recruits who were to be redshirted for the year were inserted in the second half of the game yesterday and are now on the hook for the entire season.

- early recruiting at UW is a shambles. They are last in the Pac 10 (as of about 2 weeks ago) and I can tell you that's par for the course for this guy.

Willingham lost it at ND. I don't know what happened to the guy, buy he came out of Stanford with all of the promise in the world and somewhere during his time in South Bend he simply gave up.

What say you Huskie fans? Care to admit that "Notre Dame's mistake" was in fact not a mistake, but rather your hiring of Willingham was?

Recruiting looks to be Ty's weakness, no doubt about it. I have been a Husky Fan for 35 years and have watched them consistently be one of the premier programs in the country. Saturday afternoons were the highlight of my week. Now, not so much. I don't recall all the details of my posts during the last couple years regarding Willingham's exit from Notre Dame but I do know I made NO implications of racism? So, please don't package me with those :wacko:

What I do remember saying was that ND pulled the plug too early in letting Ty go and I was glad that he was coming to the UDub. I have said that Weiss was overrated as a coach and that he, like other top Offensive Coordinators, would not make a great head coach. The jury's still out on that one but I'll stand by what I said. I do not think Weiss is a great head coach and so far that can't be disputed. I think Ty's record in his 3 years at ND was 21-15 while the record for Weiss was almost identical. Weiss worst year was last year when he had 2 years to recruit his own kids :D

I do think Ty's tenure at UW needs to end soon. We need to get a coach with a proven track record that can go into these recruits homes and convince these kids that they can be a part of a great transformation and bring the Husky program back into respectability, and then into the dominating program that it once was. We need to do it soon to spearhead recruiting efforts for 09. We need the staff in right away. The last thing this program needs is to go into the end of the year with the same staff we have now.

If you want me to say I was wrong about Ty's ability to turn our program around then OK, I was wrong.

Edited by theprofessor

Recruiting looks to be Ty's weakness, no doubt about it. I have been a Husky Fan for 35 years and have watched them consistently be one of the premier programs in the country. Saturday afternoons were the highlight of my week. Now, not so much. I don't recall all the details of my posts during the last couple years regarding Willingham's exit from Notre Dame but I do know I made NO implications of racism? So, please don't package me with those :wacko:

I do apologize for making the implication, and can see how it was read as such. I know it was here, but not at your hand/posting.

And I think you'll be wrong about Weis, but as you said that is still up in the air.

how you feel about the following that took place in Huskie Country this week and yesterday:

Unfortunately, or perhaps FORTUNATELY :wacko: I missed the Husky game on Saturday because I had to attend a funeral and then a wedding so I didn't get to see the debacle in Tucson. I tivoed it and will be watching it today so I will be interested to see if Ty actually deferred twice in the same game :D:D Not sure what his logic was, I think our defense is ranked in the triple digits :D There has to be something to this?

As far as losing the top DT recruit it doesn't surprise me. If the appeal for him was to play for Ty I'm sure he feels Ty will be gone soon. Another example of why we need to have change soon!

I'm a UW alum, and live a mile from campus. I called out ND's firing of Ty, more based on the fact I hate Notre Dame than anything else.

Before dumping Washington's problem all on Willingham, let me just point out a couple of things: the wheels were falling off while Rick Neuheisel was here; and the "issues" at Washington have been primarily off-field, from players, coaches, administrators, and boosters.

However, above and beyond, Willingham is a terrible in-game coach and has not proven to be adept at any facet of the college football game (recruiting, preparation, coaching) while at Montlake. It's been cleaned up a great deal off field, but that doesn't excuse the quality of play on field, not to mention half of his first two recruiting classes are not on the team any longer for a variety of reasons.

I'd have done HIM a favor and canned him yesterday.

Lane Kiffin? Gary Pinkel? Kyle Whittingham? Jeff Tedford? :wacko:

I'm a UW alum, and live a mile from campus. I called out ND's firing of Ty, more based on the fact I hate Notre Dame than anything else.

Before dumping Washington's problem all on Willingham, let me just point out a couple of things: the wheels were falling off while Rick Neuheisel was here; and the "issues" at Washington have been primarily off-field, from players, coaches, administrators, and boosters.

However, above and beyond, Willingham is a terrible in-game coach and has not proven to be adept at any facet of the college football game (recruiting, preparation, coaching) while at Montlake. It's been cleaned up a great deal off field, but that doesn't excuse the quality of play on field, not to mention half of his first two recruiting classes are not on the team any longer for a variety of reasons.

I'd have done HIM a favor and canned him yesterday.

Lane Kiffin? Gary Pinkel? Kyle Whittingham? Jeff Tedford? :wacko:

I agree with this. He didn't walk into the greatest of situations and it started with James resignation and then Rick's undisciplined ways. I would love to get Pinkel or Kiffin in here. My first choice of these four would be Tedford but he's not leaving Cal, especially after the work he's done to improve the facilities down in Berkeley. UW needs to act fast.

Huskies received the opening kick off and kicked off to start the 2nd half? Did I miss something? Or did you?

I think this job has Lane Kiffin's name written all over it...

Tedfor ain't leaving Cal frankly Cal is just a better job now - Pinkel? interesting, would be a great hire- who knows maybe he jumps ship once Daniel is out of there -

UW blew it by not hiring Mora 4 years ago -

you could be right though- Kiffin or maybe Sarkisian

Tedfor ain't leaving Cal frankly Cal is just a better job now - Pinkel? interesting, would be a great hire- who knows maybe he jumps ship once Daniel is out of there -

Pinkel is a Don James protege who jumped ship right before the national championship year to go coach @ Toledo. Who knows what kind of ties he has to the program any longer, but he's a big name coach right now who could be bought from his current job and he's got the ties to the glory days for the boosters to get all excited over.

The one interesting caveat is UW President Mark Emmert, who as the head guy @ LSU, pilfered Nick Saban from Michigan St.. Not saying he's going to go get that coach in particular, just don't write off the fact that he has the propensity to go out and get the guy he wants. And his liason to the athletic dept. @ LSU is now the Athletic Director @ the UW. And kind of buried in the news of the football program right now is that Woodward has been cleaning house at the upper administrative level in the Tubby Graves building since his hire became official a few weeks back.

UW blew it by not hiring Mora 4 years ago -

I will totally disagree with this. Mora was never a candidate 4 years ago and frankly has demonstrated nothing at the pro level to indicate he could coach at the college level. All he did was express his belief that the job is an attractive one (while coaching in the NFL, mind you). He's never had to recruit anyone, he's never had to answer to boosters, or the rules and regulations of the NCAA as a coach.

Pinkel and Chris Tormey were candidates when Willingham was hired though and I think there was some notion in the guy who was the AD after Hedges (man, I can't even remember his name now....) to break away from the James Era completely so he past on both. Another gigantic mistake, but not the first, nor the biggest this program has made in the last 15 years.

you could be right though- Kiffin or maybe Sarkisian

Kiffin was a recruiting coordinator @ USC. He was the QB coach. He came out of the Raider debacle a sympathetic figure (but I don't agree that he demonstrated he's a good head man). He's got time to "campaign" for the job, and he will be an immediate splash in the national media.

The fact is that there are some decent athletes who are freshman and sophomores who are taking a beating this season. Jake Locker has not improved his QBing skills whatsoever from his 1st to 2nd year playing in the Pac-10, and that, frankly, is the biggest indictment of this coaching staff. He is a unique talent that has the opportunity to transform this program a great deal while he's here, and the UW cannot afford to waste the gift they were given when he turned down everyone else to play near home.

There will still be 65,000 people in attendance @ Husky Stadium every weekend this season, and there is a passionate fan base with a lot of boosters who will load the coffers as soon as the team starts performing. This is a frickin' fantastic job if someone gets around to playing the game correctly. The state of Washington is a great resource for football talent and the fact the university sits in the 12th largest media market in the country gives it a distinct advantage that isn't there for the other Pac-10 schools not in Los Angeles.

Willingham poopy the bed with his performance here, and it's not a perfect situation, but someone could build themselves a heckuva legacy by taking this program from rock bottom to the top of the heap (or jeezus, just beat Oregon once in awhile).

GTS - I agree with most of yer points- I thought Mora was a name being thrown around before he was at ATL- my timing could be wrong here -

Pinkel would be outstanding- and UW is a much much better job than Mizzou-

They can still go out and get a big name coach- the thing is tho, the rest of the Pac 10 has caught up since the UW/DJ days- Oregon is a better program now - CAL is legit, ASU is on the way up with Erickson, OSU is solid with Riley in there-

UW isn't the draw it once was and it will be a helluva task whoever comes in -

chit even Stoops is recruiting well at UA, and Ricky is gonna get some players in LA, you know he will - alot of catchup for the Dawgs

• 2 weeks later...
The thing that really irked me as an Irish fan was that while the media was openly calling ND racist, Willingtolose said nothing. My question is will Washington be called racist when they fire him?

No one is going to mistake Willingham's firing at Washington for racism, but when you're in an industry where half of the players are black, and only 5 of the 119 division one head coaching positions are held by blacks, it's inevitable that the disparity gets brought up.

When it's at an institution like Notre Dame, where Willingham actually went 21-15, or Karl Dorrell at UCLA, who went 29-21, it's fair to bring it up as a point of discussion in the grander scheme of things.

ETA: In no way am I trying to bring up ND's firing of Willingham, but just pointing out that no matter how you want to portray the situation, inevitably, race is going to be part of the discussion.

Edited by godtomsatan

No one is going to mistake Willingham's firing at Washington for racism, but when you're in an industry where half of the players are black, and only 5 of the 119 division one head coaching positions are held by blacks, it's inevitable that the disparity gets brought up.

When it's at an institution like Notre Dame, where Willingham actually went 21-15, or Karl Dorrell at UCLA, who went 29-21, it's fair to bring it up as a point of discussion in the grander scheme of things.

ETA: In no way am I trying to bring up ND's firing of Willingham, but just pointing out that no matter how you want to portray the situation, inevitably, race is going to be part of the discussion.

I hear ya, but as long as race is going to be part of the discussion the pot-stirrers might want to point out that at the offensive and defensive coordinator positions (positions that undeniably are a launching pad to head coaching gigs) Willingham has a history of hiring white guys while the "racist" group over at Notre Dame currently has an African-American at each position.

Willingham was an average coach at Stanford who couldn't hide his mediocrity at Notre Dame. He's a lazy recruiter and a mediocre x's and o's guy. He is pathetic at in-game adjustments. He took ND to the brink with his last two recruiting classes and there was no hope that it was going to get better with his next one(the shared class between him and Weis). He has now done the exact same thing at Washington. The only difference is he got a 4th year there - a year that will undoubtedly be regretted by the alumni, administration, and everyone else associated with the program (If it is not already regretted, which it should be).

Washington has been served the death penalty by Chef Willingham. Their only hope is to get rid of him after ND kicks their ass this weekend so that they can try to salvage a decent recruiting class for next year. If they don't it's going to be a long time before they are relevant again.

Washington has been served the death penalty by Chef Willingham. Their only hope is to get rid of him after ND kicks their ass this weekend so that they can try to salvage a decent recruiting class for next year. If they don't it's going to be a long time before they are relevant again.

Well, there you go.

Which is all kind of stupid, as he's still going to coach the team the rest of the season. I mean, really? What's the point?

Well, there you go.

Which is all kind of stupid, as he's still going to coach the team the rest of the season. I mean, really? What's the point?

I like this decision. The other option is to fire him and let one of the assistants run the ship? IMO, you lose the players at that point. Your not going to make an immediate hire and bring him in right away. This gives the administration the time to make sure they bring in the best coach possible. They need a difference maker.

The more I think about Pat Hill the more I think he might be a good fit. He's proven that he can recruit in California and he has the mentality to bring the toughness that this program has been missing since the James era.

so much for race being an issue at Notre dame. Dude cant recruit and cant coach. He had one decent year at Stanford, and in that year they lost to Texas by 50. Stanford basically recruits itself. Same with Notre Dame. Washington is actually in worse shape 4 yrs in, than they were before he got that, and that is insane.

Coaches wish list:

Pat Hill, Fresno State: He will come highly recommended by Saban. When Saban needed an offensive coordinator after Major Applewhite left for Texas, he called Hill, and Hill told him to hire Fresno State's offensive coordinator Jim McElwain. That move worked out well.

Will Muschamp, defensive coordinator Texas: Emmert saw firsthand how Muschamp coached as defensive coordinator at LSU and saw his Saban-esque personality/charisma. It might be too hard to get Muschamp away from the South, where the Clemson job is more appealing because there's less heavy lifting.

Jim Mora, Seattle Seahawks assistant: The former UW player is an obvious choice but already has been named coach-in-waiting with the Seahawks. There's likely more security in the Huskies' job, but getting Mora would cost a ton.

Gary Pinkel, Missouri: A former UW assistant, Pinkel has accomplished too much at Mizzou -- on the field and off it with facilities -- to walk away from Columbia. He still has close friends in Seattle, so the possibility always is there.

Lane Kiffin, former Oakland Raiders coach: If the priority is recruiting -- and it should be -- Kiffin is at the top of the list. He doesn't have the dominating personality of Hill, Muschamp and Mora.

Matt Hayes is a writer for Sporting News. E-mail him at mhayes@sportingnews.com.

I think Pinkel is the guy. He has taken Mizzou as far as he can- that program can never get any higher than it is right now- he can come into UW, build slowly with no pressure and be the guy LT - perfek fit IMO

Mora would be gr8but with his Seattle situation, who knows

Kiffin would be a nice backup to

Pat Hill ain't goin anywhere- he is lifer at Fresno

I think Pinkel is the guy. He has taken Mizzou as far as he can- that program can never get any higher than it is right now- he can come into UW, build slowly with no pressure and be the guy LT - perfek fit IMO

Mora would be gr8but with his Seattle situation, who knows

Kiffin would be a nice backup to

Pat Hill ain't goin anywhere- he is lifer at Fresno

I bet if Carroll goes to the NFL, Hill would leave Fresno in a second for SC.