[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commissioner Question...

Savage Beatings

The commish can set MFL to force a complete roster to be submitted.

It also gives a warning in red lettering when a roster is noncompliant.

Besides, doesn't any owner have some kind of obligation to ensure that they are submitting a legal lineup? I set my lineup, and then I take the additional 30 seconds it takes to click on "starting lineups" to verify that my roster is appropriate as well as scan my opponents lineup.

Maybe someone needs their Mom to check their lineup before submittal...

His lineup deadline is "all players lock at kick off of their game". You should apply the same logic of the rule to all rosters, but because of the variable deadlines, the result will vary. If his lineup deadline was "all players lock at kick off of the first game of the week", then yes, it wouldn't matter. Personally, I would just give the offending team a zero, but what I outlined would be a compromise that everyone should be able to live with.

Thats interesting.

So what you are saying is that the forfeit becomes official the minute the owner is out of options to insert. In this instance, the minute his last eligible QB was not inserted, the forfeit becomes official, and any stats accrued after that point are null.

I could live with that ruling, too.

As to my earlier point, this ruling will come down to when Savage decides at what point the game was officially forfeited.

It also gives a warning in red lettering when a roster is noncompliant.

Besides, doesn't any owner have some kind of obligation to ensure that they are submitting a legal lineup? I set my lineup, and then I take the additional 30 seconds it takes to click on "starting lineups" to verify that my roster is appropriate as well as scan my opponents lineup.

Maybe someone needs their Mom to check their lineup before submittal...

:wacko: Yeah and I check each one of mine a few times.

Seeing as I was involved in this game in particular Savage is talking about, here's my :wacko: on the matter.

1) Didn't this happen either last season or the season before as well? How was it handled then? If there's precedent set, we may be stuck with it for this year until a rule change is made.

2) The offending team's lineup was posted on Wednesday, Oct. 1, without a QB listed (the time is noted under the starting lineups, and I was curious because this owner is not someone who would let something like this slide normally, IMO). There was no mention of the site automatically using the previous week's lineup, as he would have had a QB in there if that would have happened.

3) The end result of the game, should the offending owner be allowed the points or not, would have been the same. A loss for the offending owner.

4) I realize this thread was Savage asking for advice. I'm not trying to hash out our league issues in the main forum, just giving points for discussion (I hope) among the rest of those weighing in on the matter.

2) The offending team's lineup was posted on Wednesday, Oct. 1, without a QB listed (the time is noted under the starting lineups, and I was curious because this owner is not someone who would let something like this slide normally, IMO). There was no mention of the site automatically using the previous week's lineup, as he would have had a QB in there if that would have happened.

3) The end result of the game, should the offending owner be allowed the points or not, would have been the same. A loss for the offending owner.

I'm now very confused.

2 points that are directly against what was orginally presented:

1. Savage said this happened Week 1. You say his line-up was posted Wednesday, October 1st?!?? Wouldn't that be Week 5? Also, Savage said that in the rules, there is a stip that states if an owner fails to submit a line-up, the priot week's line-up would be used. You say there is no such rule? Here is the rule the posted, from your website:

Starting lineups must be submitted in part, by the beginning of the game for each player in your starting lineup each week, and in whole by the beginning of the last game of that particular week. If a legal lineup is not submitted before the beginning of the last game of a particular week, then the previous week’s entire starting lineup will be used (except for week 1, which will result in a forfeit). If you have a player listed as a starter in a particular position, and that player's game for the week has begun, then it is too late to drop him from your starting lineup for someone else.

2. End result of the game is a non-issue. I think everyone agrees he should forfeit (unless, of course, this really did happen this past week, and there is language that states he should be allowed to use Week 4's line-up). The main issue at this point appears to be whether he should get a "zero" for the week, or let his points stand, or a combo of the two ideas.

I'm now very confused.

1. Savage said this happened Week 1.

:wacko: I was wondering where you got that from.

I missed a comma in my opening sentence. It didn't happen in week one. What I said was "This week one owner..." which I meant as "This week, one of our owners..."

This did not occur in Week 1. It just happened this last week.

Here is the rule the posted, from your website:

Starting lineups must be submitted in part, by the beginning of the game for each player in your starting lineup each week, and in whole by the beginning of the last game of that particular week. If a legal lineup is not submitted before the beginning of the last game of a particular week, then the previous week’s entire starting lineup will be used (except for week 1, which will result in a forfeit). If you have a player listed as a starter in a particular position, and that player's game for the week has begun, then it is too late to drop him from your starting lineup for someone else.

This did not occur in Week 1. It just happened this last week.

Then I think the rule clearly states that because no legal week 5 lineup was ever fully submitted, the owners week 4 lineup in it's entirety is to be used. The owner in question does not forfeit the game as the rule clearly states that only happens for non-lineup compliance in week one and that in all subsequent weeks, of which week 5 is, that the previous lineup, in it's entirety, will be used. 9IMO, this means anyone on bye this week that was started in week 4 is in the lineup and the offending owner has to live with that).

The rule as written seems pretty clear.

Then I think the rule clearly states that because no legal week 5 lineup was ever fully submitted, the owners week 4 lineup in it's entirety is to be used. The owner in question does not forfeit the game as the rule clearly states that only happens for non-lineup compliance in week one and that in all subsequent weeks, of which week 5 is, that the previous lineup, in it's entirety, will be used. 9IMO, this means anyone on bye this week that was started in week 4 is in the lineup and the offending owner has to live with that).

The rule as written seems pretty clear.

Holy Crap... we've totally got conflicting rules! :D:D

Anyone want to join a really well run league? :wacko:

:wacko: That sucks that MFL will allow an incomplete roster when the roster rules clearly state what must be started. On Fanball, it won't let you submit your roster unless it conforms to the rules on what the starting requirements are. A message alert pops up that the starting requirements require 1 QB.

It could have been a simple mistake on his part.

MFL has the option of not accepting an incomplete lineup. This isn't an MFL issue.

I haven't seen the answer but do you allow starting lineups to carry over from the previous week if no lineup is submitted? There could be an issue with that as well if a player from last week's lineup is no longer on the roster.

Here is the rule the posted, from your website:

:wacko:

Wouldn't it be better as LM/Commish to interpret the purpose of the rule first?

I myself would interpret the purpose of the rule as to control two problems...

1st reason would be to prevent collusion/cheating, preventing one player from intentionally tanking a game to hand the other player a win. In which case zeroing out his points would only hand the win over as originally intended.

2nd reason would be to ensure active participation. If a player stops participating, then the solution wouldn't be to adjust the points but instead would be to start looking for a replacement/2nd owner.

As a LM/Commish, I would find any other interpretation would probably be a losing team trying to recover the loss on a technicality.