[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Will Clark Hunt fire Peterson?

fingfootball

Trade for Brady Quinn?

Nobody really knows if Quinn is a franchise QB. From what I've seen the last 2 years, he looks 50/50 to me. Derek Anderson looked AWFUL for 4 games but they stuck with him. Not a ringing endorsement for Quinn who seems to be over rated but I could be wrong.

Hire Bill Cowher? Or, maybe bring Marty back?

Cowher would be awesome but I'm sure he would want some stability at QB before coming on board or at least have control of all personel decisions.

I can't stand Whitlock but he's right this time:

Hunt doesn’t understand how bad things are with Chiefs

By JASON WHITLOCK

The Kansas City Star

Hunt says he has no plans to shake up the Chiefs

If you’ve ever fallen in love with a beautiful young woman and rationalized her obvious flaws by convincing yourself they’ll disappear as she matures, then you can understand how Clark Hunt views his Chiefs.

We all have friends who married the wrong woman or man simply because they loved the way their spouse looked and loved how their spouse’s looks made them feel about themselves. Or maybe they loved their spouse’s money.

Whatever the cause, people are prone to make important decisions based on a single issue.

I’ve never really believed the theory that the Hunt family only cares about attendance at Arrowhead Stadium when it comes to evaluating Carl Peterson’s performance. The Hunts want to win. They want to field a competitive team.

What I do believe now is that Clark Hunt allows attendance to cloud his evaluation of everything else Peterson does. Peterson is Sarah Palin. He only needs to bat his eyes, wink and repeat a stump speech about season-ticket sales to get Clark Hunt to forget the question was about postseason success.

I reached that conclusion after reading his answers to Star reporter Adam Teicher’s astute questions during a one-hour interview. (Story, A1)

The Chiefs are 1-4, their star tight end asked to be traded, their highest-paid veteran is in court for an assault case, their head coach is obviously frustrated, the fan base is irate, the team can’t score or play defense, and Hunt states publicly that things are moving in the right direction and he’s satisfied with the performance of his head coach and general manager.

Wow. Reminds me of the time an ex-girlfriend called me from a loud bar at 9 p.m., swore she’d call me when she got home and called me at 8 p.m. the next day claiming her cell phone died.

I had a choice: 1. Kick her to the curb and skip the vacation we were supposed to leave on in three days; 2. Look at the special pictures she sent to my cell phone, pretend as if everything was all good, and deal with the situation after our romantic vacation.

I don’t need to tell you the dumb choice I made. Let’s just say I know why Clark Hunt is doing what he’s doing.

He can’t contemplate life without 70,000 season-ticket holders. He foolishly believes Peterson is the only person capable of delivering all those beautiful season-ticket holders. Hunt wants Peterson to be a part of building a championship-caliber roster and locker-room chemistry. Hunt wants it all, but he’ll settle for a full stadium while he waits for everything else.

He doesn’t realize the longer he waits, the deeper the hole the Chiefs dig. He’s in a bad marriage. It’s been bad for 10 years. Now the kids (Tony Gonzalez, Larry Johnson, etc) are starting to get hurt. The grandparents (the media) are livid because they pushed for a quick, no-mess divorce five years ago. And Hunt’s friends (the fans) are sick and tired of the whole relationship.

But Hunt is happy because on Sundays, Arrowhead Stadium still looks almost as good as it did when Marty Schottenheimer was its beautician. Plus, Hunt knows the stadium is undergoing liposuction, a Botox treatment and getting breast implants.

That’ll fix it, right? That’ll make the marriage tolerable until Peterson retires at the end of his current contract.

A bad marriage and messy divorce are often hardest on the friends (fans). They lose respect for both parties. This is different from when the Chiefs split with Jack Steadman. That breakup occurred during a different era, before the 24-hour news cycle, before talk radio exploded, before families dropped a hefty percentage of their yearly earnings on season tickets.

Chiefs fans quickly got over the fact the Hunts held on to Steadman five years too long. The way this thing with Peterson is playing out is going to leave lasting scars.

Before I wrap up this column, let me make one final point in the interest of fairness. Peterson did the right thing passing on giving away Gonzalez for a third-round pick. Gonzalez is still a great player, capable of catching 100 passes in a season. The Chiefs must continue to try to develop Brodie Croyle and their other offensive personnel.

Regardless of what Peterson may have told Gonzalez in a private conversation, it would’ve been irresponsible to hand Gonzalez to the Giants, Eagles, Packers or anyone for a third-round pick. No way. If a team wanted to give up just one pick, then a second-round pick was the appropriate price.

Peterson is not wrong about everything. Just most things.