[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Red River Rivalry

Sgt Ryan

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pumped. OU has some hurdles. Texas, Tech, and (if OU makes it) probably Mizzou for the Big 12 Championship. Let's see how hurdle one goes.

But this is definitely one of the biggest OU/Tex games I can remember. There's a lot riding on this one.

BOOMER!

If UT has any chance, they have to get to Sam Bradford... Brian Orapko in particular... if Bradford has time in the pocket, he'll pick apart the UT secondary. Their secondary has looked pretty good, but really haven't faced an offense like OU's and they're young. A couple of their young fellas have a very bright future (likely playing on Sundays) but they'll get scorched if Bradford has more than 4 seconds to throw.

Hook 'em.

Edited by darin3

IM as big a Sooner fan as there is on this site, but I will say this, Im worried about our defense. Texas has some firepower on offense as well, and Colt can run, which has caused the Sooners problems in the past. OU hasnt played any very good offenses as well. And Im worried about our secondary, and losing Lofton in the middle of that defense. Im nervous for the first time in a while about Texas. I think being #1 and everyone gushing over you, isnt a good sign. OU entered the Big 12 Championship game over confident a couple of years ago, and Kansas St kicked our ass, and hurt White, which was a big reason we lost a NC to LSU. But not the only reason. NO running game for 3.5 quarters, then late in the 4th to get inside the 20, we were wearing out the LSU defense and let them off the hook, throwing 4 straight incompletions on a gased defense. Still pisses me off the play calling with 4 mins to go in that game. :wacko:

It just seems like Christmas is coming. Only 3 days till kickoff

Edited by Sgt Ryan

Isn't this game a Noon kickoff? What's with that? Guess the network didn't want to go head to head with the SEC showdown between LSU & Florida which is a prime time game. Still would have thought the network would have given this a 2:30pm time slot.

Is there a valid reason why the game is on so early. Just hope by the time I trurn on this game it's still competitive.

Should be a fun game. Almost made the roadie up to Dallas with some buddies but can't afford it at this point. :wacko:

I'll say this: OU is definitely the one with the pressure (Herbstreit noted this on ESPN earlier, too) as they're the #1 and UT is a relative unknown at #5. Not really unknown, but has flown under the radar a bit here this season.

Colt McCoy worked hard this off-season to get a heck of a lot stronger (apparently is benching 100 lbs. more than he did last year) and that's helping him as a runner. UT has some versatile cats on the offensive side and they'll be throwing the kitchen sink at that OU defense.

Gonna be a barnburner.

Isn't this game a Noon kickoff? What's with that? Guess the network didn't want to go head to head with the SEC showdown between LSU & Florida which is a prime time game. Still would have thought the network would have given this a 2:30pm time slot.

Is there a valid reason why the game is on so early. Just hope by the time I trurn on this game it's still competitive.

:wacko: Actually, the ABC broadcast starts at 11am Central (local) time. Not sure if there's an hour of fluff or not. I don't think so.

The police have always requested that this game be played early. They prefer 11 am because they think there will be less drunks and less fighting.

Plus since it's played half-way between Norman and Austin, a lot of the fans travel to the game and home that day. The earlier games work out better for them.

But it's mainly to minimize civil unrest.

The police have always requested that this game be played early. They prefer 11 am because they think there will be less drunks and less fighting.

Plus since it's played half-way between Norman and Austin, a lot of the fans travel to the game and home that day. The earlier games work out better for them.

But it's mainly to minimize civil unrest.

Is the game being played in the Cotton Bowl? If so then I guess the reasons you stated might be the reason why the Cotton Bowl is always played so early on New Years.

Any chance this rivarly will be moved to the new Cowboy Stadium when it opens? If so, would think kickoff would be moved back to a decent time worthy of a matchup like this.

Is the game being played in the Cotton Bowl? If so then I guess the reasons you stated might be the reason why the Cotton Bowl is always played so early on New Years.

Any chance this rivarly will be moved to the new Cowboy Stadium when it opens? If so, would think kickoff would be moved back to a decent time worthy of a matchup like this.

Yes...it's at the Cotton Bowl. And yes...it is being moved to the new Cowboy stadium in a few years.

Hey the California boy is now a Horn fan. Better watch it the wifey will whip your azz if you don't root for

LSU

California boy roots for the Cubs, and now TEXAS, OUR TEXAS, OH HAIL THE MIGHTY STATE, TEXAS OUR TEXAS, SO WONDERFUL AND GREAT.... Dude is all over the map.

Yes...it's at the Cotton Bowl. And yes...it is being moved to the new Cowboy stadium in a few years.

OU UT game will reamin at the Cotton bowl until 2015, the Cotton Bowl, Bowl game will move to Jerry land in 2009. This will free up alot of money and OU and Saxet will receive 450K instead of the 250K they had recevied in the past, and I think it goes up some till 2015. IMO the game needs to stay in dallas. To much tradition to move it. They did a 50 mil plus renovation, the bowl now holds 92K people. Pictures look good looks similar to the Rose bowl seating now, double decker all the way around.

Now to Ryan, the OU D looks to be pretty solid to me, my main concern is OUr running game. Murray looks like he lost a step after the kneecap crap. OUr LB's are very atheletic, I might go so far as to say this crew, Renolds, Lewis and Clayton, are the fastest corps will have fielded since the Stoops era began. Reynolds graded out 100 vs Baylor, Brent said this is the first 100 grade he has ever given a LB. Should be interesting. OUr D overall was the question mark preseason, but now I think its the running game that concerns me.

BOOMER

BTW, if you can break away from big D, join us in Norman for one of the home games left. I might have an extra ticket for the KU game.

Hey the California boy is now a Horn fan. Better watch it the wifey will whip your azz if you don't root for

LSU

:wacko:

California boy roots for the Cubs, and now TEXAS, OUR TEXAS, OH HAIL THE MIGHTY STATE, TEXAS OUR TEXAS, SO WONDERFUL AND GREAT.... Dude is all over the map.

:D

:D He has been a Horns fan before the move.

Well before it. As I've said in threads before, didn't have a football team at my college and wasn't about to root for USC. Took a liking to the likes of Ricky Williams and Major Applewhite and actually considered going to grad school here.

And sorry Sgt. Comma, my parents, are from Chicago, and I've liked, Chicago sports, teams, for my entire, life.

Not that I have any need to explain myself, but the avatar is new so thought I'd give a little background... again. :D

Texas is over-rated. They haven't played anyone. While there run defense is very good, their pass defense is suspect with so many young players. Offensively they are only average. They have a decent passing game, but they haven't really got a go-to running back. Their best recieving TE was lost for the season with a knee injury. McCoy is looking like a stud this year,and is much bulkier than he has been, but I still have serious concerns about his durability. If he tries to run against OU like he has against some of the lesser opponents, he will be carried out on a stretcher. Texas doesn't have the run game to play ball control against OU, and I don't think they have the offensive fire power to win a shoot out. I'm a huge Texas fan, but I'm also a realist. I've said all year that Texas should be ranked somewhere between 10 and 15. While I think Texas is a better all around team than Texas Tech, I think Texas Tech is the only school in the BIG 12 South that has a realistic chance to beat OU.

P.S. I won't even get to watch the game, because my daughter has a soccer tourney this weekend.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

Texas is over-rated. They haven't played anyone. While there run defense is very good, their pass defense is suspect with so many young players. Offensively they are only average. They have a decent passing game, but they haven't really got a go-to running back. Their best recieving TE was lost for the season with a knee injury. McCoy is looking like a stud this year,and is much bulkier than he has been, but I still have serious concerns about his durability. If he tries to run against OU like he has against some of the lesser opponents, he will be carried out on a stretcher. Texas doesn't have the run game to play ball control against OU, and I don't think they have the offensive fire power to win a shoot out. I'm a huge Texas fan, but I'm also a realist. I've said all year that Texas should be ranked somewhere between 10 and 15. While I think Texas is a better all around team than Texas Tech, I think Texas Tech is the only school in the BIG 12 South that has a realistic chance to beat OU.

P.S. I won't even get to watch the game, because my daughter has a soccer tourney this weekend.

Agree w/ some, especially the part about there being no go-to RB.. but Ogbonnaya has been pretty versatile. Totally disagree that McCoy will get laid out if he tries to run on the OU defense. Not saying he's gonna go buck-wild, but he'll be efficient. Not sure I understand why you say UT's a better team than Tech (which can beat OU), but imply that UT's gonna lose this big time.

I'm also a realist and realize the Horns haven't played anyone worth a damn, but this game's gonna be played close. Or at least I hope so. :wacko:

Agree w/ some, especially the part about there being no go-to RB.. but Ogbonnaya has been pretty versatile. Totally disagree that McCoy will get laid out if he tries to run on the OU defense. Not saying he's gonna go buck-wild, but he'll be efficient. Not sure I understand why you say UT's a better team than Tech (which can beat OU), but imply that UT's gonna lose this big time.

I'm also a realist and realize the Horns haven't played anyone worth a damn, but this game's gonna be played close. Or at least I hope so. :wacko:

Tech absolutely can beat OU. So can Texas. But OU still wins those games more times than not. We're dealing with kids. Anything can happen. I am more worried about Tech and Mizzou (if we get there) than I am Texas though. But it certainly wouldn't be a shocker to see Texas win Saturday.