[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gonzalez to the Eagles?

i_am_the_swammi

Eskin reporting tonight on WCAU-10 that the Eagles are indeed talking to the Chiefs about Gonzo.

Chiefs asking a 2nd, Eagles offering a 3rd....not that far apart.

Eagles on the bye this week, so it would be a nice place to add a new player ot learn the offense.

Very interesting.

ETA: BJ, pls change the spelling error in the title....tks.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

Eskin reporting tonight on WCAU-10 that the Eagles are indeed talking to the Chiefs about Gonzo.

Chiefs asking a 2nd, Eagles offering a 3rd....not that far apart.

Eagles on the bye this week, so it would be a nice place to add a new player ot learn the offense.

Very interesting.

ETA: BJ, pls change the spelling error in the title....tks.

Would they make it a 3rd and LJ Smith? I mean, he'd become obsolete in the Philly offense with Gonzo there, no? Would KC even want Smith? Just kinda "thinking aloud" here. I like Gonzo; played hoops against him in HS, he co-owns a real swank and successful nightclub in my hometown, and I suspect he probably lives in SoCal. Good guy, hope he gets a chance at a Super Bowl run.

I may be wrong, but the eagles have a few extra picks this year, correct?

I know that the Eagles have 2 1st rounders, their own pick and Carolina's 1st round pick. I think they may have mutiple picks later in the draft as well, but not sure if it's in the 2nd round.

not to change the subject....maybe this could be sort of a joint thread....but we know there has been talk of LJ getting traded for some time now...and they have resurfaced....but most rumors usually come to the conclusion that there wouldnt be many ready to meet the chiefs demands.....anybody have a team that might possibly be interested in LJ? id love to see it.....and also as a mcnabb it would be nice to see them add gonzo....they are stalling out alot

I'd expect him to play another season....:wacko:

I agree. Gonzo isn't ready to hang them up. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he plays 2-3 more years. Assuming he isn't miserable where he is. They need to do this trade.

What the Eagles really need IMO is a power running game not another receiving target. They pass the ball way too much and don't have good balance in there offense. Gonzo is awesome but is also 32 years old. If they did make this trade, I'm assuming LJ smith would be shipped as well to get rid of salary.

What the Eagles really need IMO is a power running game not another receiving target. They pass the ball way too much and don't have good balance in there offense. Gonzo is awesome but is also 32 years old. If they did make this trade, I'm assuming LJ smith would be shipped as well to get rid of salary.

LJ is in a contract year....he was franchised to keep in out of necessity this year.....he's gone after this season....and the Eagles have plenty of cap space to add Gonzalez this season, if they desire.

And a balanced rushing attack? The Eagles were 8th in the NFL last season in rushing. This year, they are without their best run blocker, All-Pro Shawn Andrews, so yes, the power running game and balance is a little skewed.

I am sorry, but Gonzo would make the Eagles a much better team. Gonzo opens the game up for Philly's gaggle of cast offs, practice teamers, and has beens, and would make them a heck of a lot better than LJ does. I would also expect Gonzo not only to be happy about this, but also want to stick around and actaully have a shot a super bowl ring.

Go Steelers!

LJ is in a contract year....he was franchised to keep in out of necessity this year.....he's gone after this season....and the Eagles have plenty of cap space to add Gonzalez this season, if they desire.

And a balanced rushing attack? The Eagles were 8th in the NFL last season in rushing. This year, they are without their best run blocker, All-Pro Shawn Andrews, so yes, the power running game and balance is a little skewed.

Don't be so sensitive. I'm an undercover Eagles fan and they do need a power running game. They have a massive offensive line that could be used better to suite their strengths. The one area the Skins, Cowboys and Giants have a huge advantage over the eagles is their ability to run when they have to. The rest of the NFC can milk the clock when needed to finish off a game and provide much better balance to their offense than the Eagles. Sure Westbrook is nasty and provides solid rushing totals but it's in big chunks. The eagles don't have that grind it out kind of a guy that can wear down defenses, open up passing lanes more and more importantly rest your defense.

The eagles O should be nasty with the return of Westy, R. Brown and Curtis after the bye but a big RB with a power running game could put the Eagles over the top. I hope they make that happen in next years draft. Two solid Rb's is becoming mandatory in today's NFL. Sorry to hijack this thread.

Don't be so sensitive. I'm an undercover Eagles fan and they do need a power running game. They have a massive offensive line that could be used better to suite their strengths. The one area the Skins, Cowboys and Giants have a huge advantage over the eagles is their ability to run when they have to. The rest of the NFC can milk the clock when needed to finish off a game and provide much better balance to their offense than the Eagles. Sure Westbrook is nasty and provides solid rushing totals but it's in big chunks. The eagles don't have that grind it out kind of a guy that can wear down defenses, open up passing lanes more and more importantly rest your defense.

The eagles O should be nasty with the return of Westy, R. Brown and Curtis after the bye but a big RB with a power running game could put the Eagles over the top. I hope they make that happen in next years draft. Two solid Rb's is becoming mandatory in today's NFL. Sorry to hijack this thread.

Wasn't being sensitive...didn't mean to come accross that way. And I agree, they could use a Betts/Barber/Jacobs power RB for thise situations. They swung and missed with Tony Hunt for that role.

But with the type of offense they run, they'll always be 60/40 to the pass. I was more debating your call that they need to be "balanced"...there is no doubt a power rushing game would be a welcome facet to the gameplan.

Wasn't being sensitive...didn't mean to come accross that way. And I agree, they could use a Betts/Barber/Jacobs power RB for thise situations. They swung and missed with Tony Hunt for that role.

But with the type of offense they run, they'll always be 60/40 to the pass. I was more debating your call that they need to be "balanced"...there is no doubt a power rushing game would be a welcome facet to the gameplan.

What exactly about "balanced" don't you understand? The Eagles simply throw the ball too much.

What exactly about "balanced" don't you understand? The Eagles simply throw the ball too much.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I don' t think they throw too much, assuming they have the right targets to receive the pass.

This same team that throws too much had great success doing just that for many years, and when they added a key component to the receiving game in 2004, they took it a step further. With a healthy Mcnabb, Westbrook, Curtis, Brown and Jackson, this offense can live with a 60-40 pass ratio.

Like I said, we can agree to disagree...but if you want them to run the ball more, then you are talking about scrapping the system they have in place, because the current playbook is designed around a pass-to-set-up-the-run offense.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I don' t think they throw too much, assuming they have the right targets to receive the pass.

This same team that throws too much had great success doing just that for many years, and when they added a key component to the receiving game in 2004, they took it a step further. With a healthy Mcnabb, Westbrook, Curtis, Brown and Jackson, this offense can live with a 60-40 pass ratio.

Like I said, we can agree to disagree...but if you want them to run the ball more, then you are talking about scrapping the system they have in place, because the current playbook is designed around a pass-to-set-up-the-run offense.

How can you argue with the Eagles strategy, I mean, have you seen their trophy case.............. :D Relax Swammi, I was only kidding, and I won't post it. :D

Let me tell you something else about what's wrong with the Eagles........... What's that ? The Eagles bitch-slapped the Steelers, and I have no right to talk any trash about them........ :wacko:

I have no doubt the eagles will be good but if they want to be great and win a SB they have to be more balanced. Their passing attack would be just as effective and probably more efficient with a 55-45 or 50-50 ratio. It would be interesting to see how far they could go if they added Gonzalez to the mix. That is a lot of weapons for opposing D's to stop. At some point though you have to show you can run the ball consistently.

I just don't see how a TE cures the Eagle offensive woes...he would instanly become the number 1 receiving threat,...wouldnt you have to build a new offensive gameplan around him? seems alot to throw at McNabb and his motley crew a third of the way through the season