[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Age of the Running QB over?

Grimm74

Do we see NFL teams passing on young QB's who dominate with their legs?

Considering: Collins, Gus, Ryan, even Big Ben(stewart) replaced 4 running QBs very sucessfully and then add McNabb since IMHO is a much better QB now that he is a pocket passer......thoughts

I always said a running first QB may get the first down but will not win many games.

Yeah and running is a stage young QB's need to grow out of if they want to stay healthy. I think McNabb has gone this route.

Guys, we have to realize where we are at in terms of evolution of this position. Guys like Vince Young and Mike Vick are the very tip of this iceberg. They have spawned a whole generation of younger QB's. Now when they are younger, many of the best athletes on teams are being put at QB. In the next ten years, we are going to see the position change, not to running quarterbacks, but to throwing quarterbacks that can run 4.5. Vick and Young can't throw, but they are the very first of the super-fast QBs. As coaching these types of players improves, we will see large changes in the QB position. Will there always be a spot for smart players with cannon arms, sure, but those won't always be the ONLY effective QB's. My guess is that in the next ten years or so, we will see the "super QB" that can do it all.

Do we see NFL teams passing on young QB's who dominate with their legs?

Considering: Collins, Gus, Ryan, even Big Ben(stewart) replaced 4 running QBs very sucessfully and then add McNabb since IMHO is a much better QB now that he is a pocket passer......thoughts

VY is apparently a head case.

Jackson is a project who appears to not be working out.

No WAY does Ryan get drafted if Vick is healthy.

Stewart sucked.

McNabb is what you look for with a "running" QB - his legs get him out of trouble early in his career, and as he matures he realizes that it's MUCH easier to throw for 10 yds than to run for 5 in most cases. Tony Romo is the type of runner NFL teams are looking for - less "run first" and more "able to make explosive plays with his legs." Note that productive "running" QBs like Brad Smith, Bradlee Van Pelt, etc barely got a sniff in the NFL because they didn't fit the mold.

Guys, we have to realize where we are at in terms of evolution of this position. Guys like Vince Young and Mike Vick are the very tip of this iceberg. They have spawned a whole generation of younger QB's. Now when they are younger, many of the best athletes on teams are being put at QB. In the next ten years, we are going to see the position change, not to running quarterbacks, but to throwing quarterbacks that can run 4.5. Vick and Young can't throw, but they are the very first of the super-fast QBs. As coaching these types of players improves, we will see large changes in the QB position. Will there always be a spot for smart players with cannon arms, sure, but those won't always be the ONLY effective QB's. My guess is that in the next ten years or so, we will see the "super QB" that can do it all.

couldn't disagree more - the age of the running QB has been over for quite a while IMO. The days of QB doing damage with their legs in the NFL are over. The absolute speed of pass rushes, and defenses has caught up- and getting the ball out quickly to the playmakers is the evolution of where the game is going I think.

The evolution of QB's is more in line with the Matt Ryan's than the VY or Vicks

are there any good running QB's even in the league? I can't name any

couldn't disagree more - the age of the running QB has been over for quite a while IMO. The days of QB doing damage with their legs in the NFL are over. The absolute speed of pass rushes, and defenses has caught up- and getting the ball out quickly to the playmakers is the evolution of where the game is going I think.

The evolution of QB's is more in line with the Matt Ryan's than the VY or Vicks

are there any good running QB's even in the league? I can't name any

The throwing QB's that can also run are about 16 years old right now. I've seen and scouted tons myself. Just watch and wait.

The throwing QB's that can also run are about 16 years old right now. I've seen and scouted tons myself. Just watch and wait.

You're acting like this is a new idea or something. Look at Steve Young and John Elway. Or even Randall Cunningham.

The truth is that QBs with 4.5 speed, canon arms, and HOF brains are few and far between, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

You're acting like this is a new idea or something. Look at Steve Young and John Elway. Or even Randall Cunningham.

The truth is that QBs with 4.5 speed, canon arms, and HOF brains are few and far between, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

All I'm saying is that a lot more REALLY fast kids are getting put at quarterback when they are young. More than ever before in the history of this game. Some of these kids are going to be able to make reads and throw the ball accurately. Young, Elway and Cunningham are great athletes, but none have sprinter type speed. I'm just saying that in the next 10-20 years there are going to be a couple kids come across that we have never seen anything like before.

All I'm saying is that a lot more REALLY fast kids are getting put at quarterback when they are young. More than ever before in the history of this game. Some of these kids are going to be able to make reads and throw the ball accurately. Young, Elway and Cunningham are great athletes, but none have sprinter type speed. I'm just saying that in the next 10-20 years there are going to be a couple kids come across that we have never seen anything like before.

Well, sure, but I don't see an intent to develop them into NFL quarterbacks. More likely, it's to develop them into option/spread option quarterbacks for high school and college, which doesn't develop them into NFL-style passers. Most college programs have been moving to the spread, which specifically uses a scrambling QB.

Only a select few players have the physical tools (arm, height) AND mental ability to read defenses at an NFL level. I don't see how moving the target athletes from the tall, relatively immobile guys to the shorter, fast guys is going to produce more players that are more like Elway and Steve Young and less like Vick and Vince Young. My guess is that, fast or slow, there are only a select few players at a given time who have the arm, accuracy, and brains to make it as starting NFL QBs.

Running QB's were never "in". Then Vick came along, challenged that and single handidly destroyed the hybrid mobile QB. What offensive coordinator wants to coach that type of QB and find the right system for a player like that? It's just too difficult to make work. Vince Young is currently experiencing that right now. At the end of the day a QB needs to be consistently accurate throwing the ball and reading defenses. Guys like Brady, Romo and the Manning's have made a living sliding in the pocket to buy an extra second or two and make a play. That's just as effective as being mobile and running for a few yards. The bigger problem is very few QB's have the poise to sit in the pocket and instinctively feel the pass rush.

At the end of the day I feel like the perfect QB is 6'4, 230-240lbs with a accurate, rocket arm yet with mobility to run when needed. To me, nobody did it better than Steve Young.

I disagree completely. There is a hugh difference between a running QB and one who can roll the pocket effectively. The running QB ends up dead unless he learns to be patient behind the LoS - the entire D is hunting him and trying to dimantle him every time he takes off, and it's much easier to do in the open field. I always think of McNair and his first 5 years +/- and as he learned patience with experience how notable the change in his effectiveness as a QB was.

A rolling QB doesn't have to run a 4.3 40. All he has to do is feel the pocket as it moves and stay in the buffer. I also believe that the speed and athleticism of some of the running QBs actually stunts their development, to the point where some of them don't learn the intricacies of reading a D at all. They want to take off instead of hanging in the pocket, learning presence, and proceeding through their progessions in an orderly manner. I don't care how fast a QB gets, there's always a vet LB who feeds exclusively on meat, understands angles, and loves seeing guys like that break and ad lib.

So let me get this straight. You guys are basicallly in agreement that if Peyton Manning and Tom Brady could run 4.3 40's, that would somehow be a bad thing?? You're gonna have to do a little better job of selling me on that one.

So let me get this straight. You guys are basicallly in agreement that if Peyton Manning and Tom Brady could run 4.3 40's, that would somehow be a bad thing?? You're gonna have to do a little better job of selling me on that one.

I highly doubt either Brady or Manning would have developed the skills they have if they were the afforded the ability of 4.3 speed. Not enough time would have been spent building those, as they'd be able to rely on that speed more often.

That both guys don't run 4.3 40s is most probably why their QB skills are so finely developed. I thought I explained it quite clearly. That you don't want to believe that there is a viable alternative opinion to your own is something that I can't control.

Edited by Bronco Billy