[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Projections for the Rest of the Season

muck

A different tack than past weeks in an effort to get some conversation going:

Team Currently Above .500 Most Likely to Finish .500 or Worse:

New England

Team Currently Below .500 Most Likely to Finish .500 or Better:

Miami

Current .500 Team Most Likely to Finish Above .500:

Chicago

Current .500 Team Most Likely to Finish Below .500:

Green Bay

Most Likely Top Seed from the AFC:

Tennessee

Most Likely Top Seed from the NFC:

Arizona

Teams in the Playoffs:

13-3 TEN

12-4 BUF

11-5 PIT

10-6 DEN

9-7 NYJ

9-7 IND

11-5 ARI

11-5 TB

10-6 NYG

9-7 CHI

10-6 WAS

10-6 DAL

Projected Draft Orde for Non-Playoff Teams for the 2009 NFL Draft:

1. 2-14 DET

2. 3-13 CIN

3. 4-12 STL

4. 5-11 KC

5. 5-11 SEA

6. 5-11 OAK

7. 6-10 HOU

8. 6-10 SF

9. 7-9 CLE

10. 7-9 BAL

11. 8-8 MIA

12. 8-8 GB

13. 8-8 MIN

14. 8-8 PHI

15. 8-8 NO

16. 8-8 SD

17. 9-7 NE

18. 9-7 JAX (last AFC team to miss the playoffs)

19. 9-7 ATL

20. 10-6 CAR (last NFC team to miss the playoffs)

Next Weeks Winners (40-32 ytd; didn't pick week one games):

BUF beats SD

DEN beats NE

NYJ beats OAK

MIA beats BAL

PIT beats CIN

WAS beats CLE

TEN beats KC

IND beats GB

HOU beats DET

NYG beats SF

DAL beats STL

CHI beats MIN

TB beats SEA

CAR beats NO

Huh.

I like GB's chances of making the playoffs a lot more than DEN's.

Why?

The average winning percentage of DENs future opponents is .503 (SD is .530) ... GBs is .497 (CHis is .440 and MINs is .500) ...

...PLUS...

Based on the average points that DEN scores and allows compared to the average margin of victory for their future opponents, DEN's expected margin of victory is 1.4 pts / week (SD is 2.9 pts / week) ... GBs is 0.3 pts / week (CHI is 4.0 pts / week and MIN is -1.3 pts / week) ...

So, in summary:

DEN, GB and MIN are all much easier future SoS than SD and much harder than CHI.

MIN has the hardest forward looking Margin of Victory, GB is next, then DEN, SD and CHI.

THEREFORE:

Since DEN is already one game up on SD, plus has an easier SoS and a similar MoVs, they are more likely than SD to win the AFC West.

...plus...

GB, MIN and CHI are all tied at 3-3, however, GBs SoS is much harder than CHIs and their forward MoV is much lower than CHis, therefore, CHI has an easier road to the NFC Central title.

...plus...

I do not expect any team from either division to go get a wildcard berth.

Edited by muck

Why?

The average winning percentage of DENs future opponents is .503 (SD is .530) ... GBs is .497 (CHis is .440 and MINs is .500) ...

...PLUS...

Based on the average points that DEN scores and allows compared to the average margin of victory for their future opponents, DEN's expected margin of victory is 1.4 pts / week (SD is 2.9 pts / week) ... GBs is 0.3 pts / week (CHI is 4.0 pts / week and MIN is -1.3 pts / week) ...

So, in summary:

DEN, GB and MIN are all much easier future SoS than SD and much harder than CHI.

MIN has the hardest forward looking Margin of Victory, GB is next, then DEN, SD and CHI.

THEREFORE:

Since DEN is already one game up on SD, plus has an easier SoS and a similar MoVs, they are more likely than SD to win the AFC West.

...plus...

GB, MIN and CHI are all tied at 3-3, however, GBs SoS is much harder than CHIs and their forward MoV is much lower than CHis, therefore, CHI has an easier road to the NFC Central title.

...plus...

I do not expect any team from either division to go get a wildcard berth.

That's a very persuasive argument.

However, I have a tough time thinking teams who can not stop the run will go far, and DEN has a downright awful run D. Combine that with a non-existant pass rush that allows QBs to camp out for 5 seconds or more in the pocket and you see receivers running wide open throughout the 2nd & 3rd level of the field. If I'm not mistaken, opposing QBs are completing over 70% of their passes against DEN - and that includes games vs such stellar passing marvels like Russell, Huard, & Garrard.

On the other hand, GB has been hampered by injuries, is still a young team, and ought to get stronger as the season progresses - most particularly as Rodgers gets more & more comfortable.

I see upside for GB, and they play in a mediocre division. I see downside for DEN, and while the division is weak overall, the Chargers are still far & away the cream of the crop.

A different tack than past weeks in an effort to get some conversation going:

Team Currently Above .500 Most Likely to Finish .500 or Worse:

New England

Team Currently Below .500 Most Likely to Finish .500 or Better:

Miami

Current .500 Team Most Likely to Finish Above .500:

Chicago

Current .500 Team Most Likely to Finish Below .500:

Green Bay

Tennessee

Arizona

Teams in the Playoffs:

13-3 TEN

12-4 BUF

11-5 PIT

10-6 DEN

9-7 NYJ

9-7 IND

11-5 ARI

11-5 TB

10-6 NYG

9-7 CHI

10-6 WAS

10-6 DAL

Projected Draft Orde for Non-Playoff Teams for the 2009 NFL Draft:

1. 2-14 DET

2. 3-13 CIN

3. 4-12 STL

4. 5-11 KC

5. 5-11 SEA

6. 5-11 OAK

7. 6-10 HOU

8. 6-10 SF

9. 7-9 CLE

10. 7-9 BAL

11. 8-8 MIA

12. 8-8 GB

13. 8-8 MIN

14. 8-8 PHI

15. 8-8 NO

16. 8-8 SD

17. 9-7 NE

18. 9-7 JAX (last AFC team to miss the playoffs)

19. 9-7 ATL

20. 10-6 CAR (last NFC team to miss the playoffs)

Next Weeks Winners (40-32 ytd; didn't pick week one games):

BUF beats SD

DEN beats NE

NYJ beats OAK

MIA beats BAL

PIT beats CIN

WAS beats CLE

TEN beats KC

IND beats GB

HOU beats DET

NYG beats SF

DAL beats STL

CHI beats MIN

TB beats SEA

CAR beats NO

You list New England as a team currenlty at .500 most likely to finish .500 or less, yet predict their record at 9-7, which would be above .500????

You list New England as a team currenlty at .500 most likely to finish .500 or less, yet predict their record at 9-7, which would be above .500????

Based on their forward looking strength of schedule, they are the most likely to disappoint of all other teams currently above .500 (not equal to .500 as you ask).

Based on their forward looking strength of schedule, they are the most likely to disappoint of all other teams currently above .500 (not equal to .500 as you ask).

this answer doesn't change the fact that in one post you said they would be under 500 and 9-7 , cant be both.

umm, why not?

Muck's saying that they most likely will finish 9-7, but out of their peers, they're the most likely to disappoint.

It's not mutually exclusive. It's not fact, it's statistics.

EDIT: I see your confusion. You're thinking he's saying, "Fact, NE will finish below .500". That's not what he said.

um.. this is exactly what he said. he posted questions , with his own answers under them . how am I confused/

Pretty confident this is wrong

Tennessee

Arizona

I agree both have QB issues. If Tennessee continues to win Collins may not be able to handle the success and will surely go on a few benders start throwing ints like crazy. As far Kurt Warner goes after seeing him with that huge bandage on his face last week and all the hits he absorbed, it is hard to imagine him making it through the season. I guess the Tennesse defense could carry them a long way in the AFC.

um.. this is exactly what he said. he posted questions , with his own answers under them . how am I confused/

Lord Opie has it right.

My prediction is that of all teams above .500 currently (i.e., all teams that are 3-2, 4-1, 5-0, etc), which one has the biggest chance of being 8-8 or worse by the end of the season, NE has the biggest chance of being that team.

Said another way, of all the teams that are 3-2, their projected record is closer to 8-8 than all other teams (iirc, I have projected their record at something like 8.6 wins and 7.4 losses ... rounds to 9-7 ... and no other team that is currently above .500 has a worse projected year-end record than NE).

Got it?

...However, I have a tough time thinking teams who can not stop the run will go far, and DEN has a downright awful run D. ...

See Indy, 2006. I do agree though that you typically need at least an adequate run D to get anywhere. It's not far fetched for DEN to win the division and make it in as a 4 seed... beyond that, yeah, the bad run D doesn't help one bit.

NFC South...

There are too many variables right now in this division. Tampa is sitting pretty at the moment with a 2-1 record in the division but I just don't see it lasting. The offense is patchwork... moreso than usual. The D is scrappy but I don't think it's good enough to carry them.

NO has played only one division game. They're 3-3 but two of those losses were on the road to, according to muck's projections, playoff teams. One is a projected division champ. If they can go 2-0 before the bye (very possible), their last half schedule is very friendly with only one or two clearly difficult matchups. 10-6 is not a stretch if they go 2-0 before the bye, split with ATL, and lose @ CHI in December.

CAR is Jekyll and Hyde... they can either win or finish last in the division.

ATL is a wild card. Probably not good enough to sniff a division win but certainly good enough to sneak in as a wild card. After the bye... they'll probably split their two road games, go 2-1 in their homestand, drop the next two, and then finish 2-1. That's 9-7 assuming they get only one more road win. The one road win being @OAK but could easily upset either NO or MIN. Although, of the current top 3 in the division, ATL is more likely to fall back and NO rise.

Edited by kingfish247

Lord Opie has it right.

My prediction is that of all teams above .500 currently (i.e., all teams that are 3-2, 4-1, 5-0, etc), which one has the biggest chance of being 8-8 or worse by the end of the season, NE has the biggest chance of being that team.

Said another way, of all the teams that are 3-2, their projected record is closer to 8-8 than all other teams (iirc, I have projected their record at something like 8.6 wins and 7.4 losses ... rounds to 9-7 ... and no other team that is currently above .500 has a worse projected year-end record than NE).

Got it?

got it now......Just didn't 'read' it that way...i read it that which team has best chance of going .500 or worse this year, and then saw your prediction of a 'winning' 9 and 7 record for the Pats....somewhat confusing, but makes sense......i'd be shocked (and happy) if Pats finish above .500

Lord Opie has it right.

Got it?

I understand now what you intended , but how it is written does not convey that.

I understand now what you intended , but how it is written does not convey that.

Sure it does.

"Team Currently Above .500 Most Likely to Finish .500 or Worse:"

1) Make a list of the teams that are above .500 right now. Check.

2) Determine how those teams are set to finish the season, record wise. Check.

3) List the team (or teams) that are closest to (or below) .500. Check.

No team with a winning record projects to be 8-8 or worse. NE is the closest at 9-7.

I don't get how this could possibly be confusing to anyone. :wacko:

Anyway it is all semantics , as who is doing the projecting? you are, maybe if I do the projecting it comes out differently. Not here to argue , as it is your post. Just added my 2 cents as to the vagueness of the post , and while I am sure it makes perfect sense to you , since it came from your own head, I am sure others saw it the same way as I.Beside that I thought it was a very interesting post. I enjoy these type of prediction/projection posts .Have a great weekend.

Sure it does.

"Team Currently Above .500 Most Likely to Finish .500 or Worse:"

1) Make a list of the teams that are above .500 right now. Check.

2) Determine how those teams are set to finish the season, record wise. Check.

3) List the team (or teams) that are closest to (or below) .500. Check.

No team with a winning record projects to be 8-8 or worse. NE is the closest at 9-7.

I don't get how this could possibly be confusing to anyone. :wacko:

Stop your fuzzy math.