[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Willie Parker returns to practice

Menudo

:wacko:

Steelers' Parker ready, returns to practice

Running back says he's 'ready to play'

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Peter Diana / Post-Gazette

Willie Parker -- "I'm ready to play, man."

Willie Parker returned to practice yesterday. Now can he return to form?

Parker revealed after practice that the injury to his left knee Sept. 21 was a sprained medial collateral ligament.

"That's what bothered me, my lateral movement and stuff," Parker said.

As most anyone knows who has seen Fast Willie run, he needs lateral movement the way a rocket needs a booster. The injury occurred near the end of the Steelers' 15-6 loss in Philadelphia, where Parker carried 13 times for 20 yards. Before that, he was the NFL's third-leading rusher after two games and has 263 yards and a 4.0 average. He has the team's only three rushing touchdowns, all in the opener.

"I'm ready to play, man," Parker declared. "I went out there and my main focus was to get my timing down, just practicing so I can help the team out the best way I can Sunday.

"I can pick it right back up, that ain't no problem. I have enough motivation and self-pride, that's not a problem."

The Steelers entered the season hoping to have one of their more dynamic one-two punches at halfback in years with Parker and rookie Rashard Mendenhall. But Mendenhall was knocked out for the season with a broken shoulder in his first pro start, against Baltimore Sept. 29.

With their top two halfbacks out and fullback Carey Davis joining them with a sprained ankle, the Steelers won their past two games. Mewelde Moore, who had no carries through three games, led them with 99 yards rushing in their most-recent victory, at Jacksonville Oct. 5.

"We won both games, that was a plus, so we have to keep it going," Parker said. "It's real good just to get back on track. We're 4-1 but we had a bye this week and you know how teams play when they come off that bye. Some of them are sluggish in the first half of the game and then they pick it up the second half, so we just have to start fast."

On paper, that does not appear to be a looming problem as the Steelers prepare to play at winless Cincinnati (0-6), where they have won their past seven visits. Four of Parker's 23 100-yard rushing games have come against the Bengals.

"As an offensive unit we always ran the ball on them, no matter what," Parker said. "Even when they stopped us, we come back the next series and just run and run and run. That's been our M.O. against them and they'll just have to stop it."

Parker has injured his right and left leg in two of his past four games. His right fibula was broken in the 15th game of last season. He has not felt sorry for himself, though.

"I don't really say that. Last season I was injured, it was a season-ending injury. [Now] it's just a little stumble in the road. Now I'm back at it."

One thing he's trying to develop this week in practice is to regain confidence in his left leg because the tendency is not to want to push off it.

"I felt good out there, but you know how it is. Practicing and stuff, I have to get all that back. Just practice and confidence pushing off my leg and stuff like that. I feel good for the most part."

His teammates were happy to see him return.

"It definitely brings a different pace of running back," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "He's definitely a game-breaker. He's one of those guys who can take the ball and score on any given play. And he's fresh, he's had a few weeks off.

"It's always great to have your starter out there. He means a lot to this team."

As Davis said, "For him to come back and go out there and make plays for us is always a good thing."

Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

First published on October 14, 2008 at 12:00 am

Per fanball, looks like Parker may be out again:

Parker aggravates injury Wednesday 10/15, 3:18 PM CT

Willie Parker aggravated his knee injury and was unable to practice Wednesday, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Our View: It is now uncertain if he will return after a two-game absence to play in Cincinnati. He apparently stepped in a hole in practice Monday and aggravated the sprained MCL in his left knee. We will keep you posted on his status.

+1

Also have to wonder how a slight mistep caused a re-aggravation? I mean, wouldn't being tackled by 300-lb men also tend to aggravate a knee?

Sounds like the thing was never totally healed to begin with.

+1... If that is the case I do not see a reason to rush him back to play Cin. Moore can handle it another week

+1

Also have to wonder how a slight mistep caused a re-aggravation? I mean, wouldn't being tackled by 300-lb men also tend to aggravate a knee?

Sounds like the thing was never totally healed to begin with.

the day of the nfc championship game in 92/93 i tore my acl, mcl, and cartiledge playing football with my firends. rehabed it. was coaching lacrosse and was just playing catch with one of the kids and stepped in a gopher hole. quick little hyperextention was a major setback to the rehab

Menudo (or anyone) - do you think Moore will have a good game if FWP is out? What do you project?

After seeing how he was used against Jacksonville, yes, I believe he could be in for a solid, but not spectacular game against the Bengals.

I'll project: 90 Yards Rushing, 4 Catches for 45 yards.

any word on how long parker might be out?

Keep in mind that Parker hasn't even been ruled out for this week yet. I really don't see the Steelers playing him, but, they have him listed as day to day. My guess is that they sit him this week, and barring any setbacks, he plays next week.

Even if Parker plays he won't get a ton of carries. Mewelde is a must-start this week against a terrible Cincinatti run-D, he was solid against Jacksonville and outstanding in the quarter-plus he played against Baltimore a week earlier. Pittsburgh is a good team that likes to run so whoever is taking handoffs for them will always be a good play.

Also about the practice field without holes - I heard somewhere that the injury was re-aggravated on the Steelers' day off.

Even if Parker plays he won't get a ton of carries. Mewelde is a must-start this week against a terrible Cincinatti run-D, he was solid against Jacksonville and outstanding in the quarter-plus he played against Baltimore a week earlier. Pittsburgh is a good team that likes to run so whoever is taking handoffs for them will always be a good play.

Also about the practice field without holes - I heard somewhere that the injury was re-aggravated on the Steelers' day off.

it is a blessing for Parker owners that this did not happen on the first play of he game...he clearly was not ready to play this week and the STeelers did a nice job of hiding the severity from Steeler fans (unusualy for Tomlin) and me as a Parker owner.