[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Barbques or sloppy joes?

driveby

I don't care what you call them but I just used my mom's recipie to make up a batch and they are delicious!

Barbques for the yankees and sloppy joes for the confederates? :wacko:

I'm a Yank and I've only heard them called sloppy joes. B-B-Q sandwich to me means a pulled pork sandwich with a lot of sauce, which BTW also kicks some major ass.

I don't care what you call them but I just used my mom's recipie to make up a batch and they are delicious!

Barbques for the yankees and sloppy joes for the confederates? :wacko:

Tease.

Where is the sloppy-joe recipe?

And they are sloopy joes, barbecue is done on a grill

Edited by Zooty

My mom calls them taverns. I'm not sure of all the ingredients, but I know that mustard and worchestershire are involved. They're damn good though.

Maybe it's a small town/historical thing?

Everyone I know up nort calls them barbeques - notice the "s". There wasn't really any bar-b-que back then that I can remember and certainly no bar-b-que resturants around.

Anyways,

Basic recipe;

2 lbs of hamburger

1 can of tomato soup (maybe a little less)

1/4 cup of catsup (usuallly a little more)

1 onion - chopped

1 tsp vinegar

2 tsp worchestire sauce

chili powder to taste

brown sugar

Brown the hamburger with the chopped onion.

Add the rest and slow cook for 30 minutes at least. I usually throw in another pinch of brown sugar near the end to give it a little sweeter taste.

Serve on a buttered and toasted bun.

From time to time I sprinkle a little shredded cheddar on my sandwich and let it melt a bit before I eat it.

makes 10 - 12 depending on the size of the buns.

Maybe it's a small town/historical thing?

Everyone I know up nort calls them barbeques - notice the "s". There wasn't really any bar-b-que back then that I can remember and certainly no bar-b-que resturants around.

Anyways,

Basic recipe;

2 lbs of hamburger

1 can of tomato soup (maybe a little less)

1/4 cup of catsup (usuallly a little more)

1 onion - chopped

1 tsp vinegar

2 tsp worchestire sauce

chili powder to taste

brown sugar

Brown the hamburger with the chopped onion.

Add the rest and slow cook for 30 minutes at least. I usually throw in another pinch of brown sugar near the end to give it a little sweeter taste.

Serve on a buttered and toasted bun.

From time to time I sprinkle a little shredded cheddar on my sandwich and let it melt a bit before I eat it.

makes 10 - 12 depending on the size of the buns.

Why does the size of the bun matter? I would think the amount you put on the bun would matter more???

Why does the size of the bun matter? I would think the amount you put on the bun would matter more???

seriously? :wacko:

Um, I pile as much on the bun as I can until it starts to fall off, therefore, bigger bun equals more meat on the bun equals fewer sandwiches. :D

From Cicero (Morton East HS, great cafeteria by the way as they had the best Burgers and Grilled Cheese samiches on earth, not to mention their malts. They were unreal. The faculty lunchroom was even better) :

Sloppy Joes = Crumble Burgers! And they were also deeeelish!

And FWIW....my wife makes the best around! Yummy stuff! Recipe could be similar to above, but here it is: (Mind you it was written for JR. HS. Students)

1 lb. ground beef

1/3 cup chopped celery

2 Tbsp. chopped onion

2 Tbsp. chopped green pepper

Sauce:

¾ cup ketchup

¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp. water

2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

2 tsp. brown sugar

2 tsp. vinegar

½ tsp. mustard

Combine the sauce ingredients and simmer to blend the flavors in a medium saucepan.

Brown the ground beef, onions, celery and pepper in a frying pan. Stir the ground beef until it is crumbly and the pink color is gone. Then drain off the fat and add the meat mixture to the barbecue sauce. Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Serve on hamburger buns.

Yield: 4 – 6 medium sandwiches

Double recipe yield: 8-12 medium sandwiches:

2 lbs. ground beef

2/3 cup chopped celery

¼ cup chopped onion

¼ cup chopped green pepper

Sauce:

1½ cups ketchup

¾ cup water

1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. brown sugar

1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. vinegar