[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

scampi

Bier Meister

3/4 c(1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter

1 pound large uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined (can butterfly if you like) 8-12 count worked well.

1-3 large garlic cloves, minced

1/4 c dry white wine (i recently used a cali chard and it still turned out good)

juice of 1/2 a lemon

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

heat butter in hot pan (over med to med-high heat).add shrimp. when you turn them, add the garlic.let it cook for 20-30 sec. add wine, then lemon juice. reduce a 15-20%. s & p. parsely.. done.

alternitive is to not add the lemon juice to the wine and butter.... and just do it directly on the shrimp on the plate.

Edited by Bier Meister

Is this what you're making all of us when we come up for a Sunday football outing?

We'll bring the wine. Perhaps some Tattinger bubbles to pair with the scampi?

maybe...depends on the offerings..

i see you edited :wacko:

We'll start with your scampi and bubbles. My wife can make steak with some Brunello. You can make a chocolate torte and we'll bring Port to match, but I'll have the Bruichladdich instead.

(didn't mean to derail your thread :wacko: )

sure... can also create a sauce for the steak. scampi can be a fine app.... just need a baguette.

Personally, I like to use a Sauvignon Blanc over a Chard for cooking with seafood. My current favorite is a New Zealand one from Drylands. A lot less oak makes for better balance with the butter IMO.

3/4 c(1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter

1 pound large uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined (can butterfly if you like) 8-12 count worked well.

1-3 large garlic cloves, minced

1/4 c dry white wine (i recently used a cali chard and it still turned out good)

juice of 1/2 a lemon

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

heat butter in hot pan (over med to med-high heat).add shrimp. when you turn them, add the garlic.let it cook for 20-30 sec. add wine, then lemon juice. reduce a 15-20%. s & p. parsely.. done.

alternitive is to not add the lemon juice to the wine and butter.... and just do it directly on the shrimp on the plate.

Can other seafoods (scallops or crap) be used for scampi? Or I guess I should ask if it would be any good.

Can other seafoods (scallops or crap) be used for scampi? Or I guess I should ask if it would be any good.

Why would you make crap scampi?

Personally, I like to use a Sauvignon Blanc over a Chard for cooking with seafood. My current favorite is a New Zealand one from Drylands. A lot less oak makes for better balance with the butter IMO.

when i cook with white wine, it's usually a chablis.... for italian, pinot grigio or orvieto. i am low on whites and went with a chard.... still turned out good.

This one:

2007 Drylands Sauvignon Blanc - Marlborough

Light yellow with hints of green. Grapefruit, gooseberry, and some nice herbaceous notes on the nose. Great acidity with lime, mineral, fresh cut grass, and grapefruit.

We analyzed this one in class on Monday and that's my final conclusion after the deductive tasting.

This one:

2007 Drylands Sauvignon Blanc - Marlborough

Light yellow with hints of green. Grapefruit, gooseberry, and some nice herbaceous notes on the nose. Great acidity with lime, mineral, fresh cut grass, and grapefruit.

We analyzed this one in class on Monday and that's my final conclusion after the deductive tasting.

Yeah, that's the one. I think it's an excellent wine at the price. <$15

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Pretty much how we make it, but I like the smaller shrimp because I like mine with pasta they get tangled up with it. Also, is it wrong for me to want the salted butter? :wacko:

no..not wrong, but takes control away from you.

Well, the recipe didn't call for salt & I prefer it cooked in rather than added at the table.

so do i...... i add salt and pepper as i cook. with salted butter it removes control of seasoning from you (you can add, but can't take away)

so do i...... i add salt and pepper as i cook. with salted butter it removes control of seasoning from you (you can add, but can't take away)

Thank you Master... er, Meister.

Do you ever make New Orleans style BBQ shrimp and if so, what's your recipe?

Edited by rajncajn

Thank you Master... er, Meister.

Do you ever make New Orleans style BBQ shrimp and if so, what's your recipe?

i have had it, but have not made it. did a bastardized creole.... i may have posted it (will search)