[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Romo on for Sunday

Piranha-z

Romo has trouble holding on to the ball with 5 good fingers, my word how bad will it be with no pinky but again it couldn't be much worse. Just get better Tony and come back after the BYE week.

Agree, wait until it is healed. He hasn't even taken any snaps yet (at least that I've read, unless he did today), is he sure he's ready?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what is more likely :

Romo playing , struggling because of injury , possibly injuring pinkie even worse

or sitting out at least one or two games , let pinkie heal better and avoid further damage

why is dallas and Romo pushing to play this weekend ?? its not a playoff game or SB

This was pretty funny from the Onion:

Tony Womo Out Three To Four Weeks With Bwoken Widdle Fingey

DAWWAS—Cowboys medical personnel confirm that quawterback Tony Womo injured his thwowing hand in last week's 30-24 loss to the Arizona Cardinals and is expected to miss the next month after suffewing a sevewy bwoken wight pinkie-winkie.

Team doctors originally believed Womo's poor, poor bwoken fingey was merewy spwained, despite the quarterback insisting that his pinkie felt really, really, really ouchie after being hit by wots and wots of big mean mans during the first play of overtime.

The Cowboys are denying rumors that Womo will require weconstwuctive pinkie surgewy, insisting that it is only a bad owie and that Womo will not be placed on injuwed weserve.

"Tony has been very, very bwave through all this and barely cried at all when he heard his widdle fingey was in fact bwoken," coach Wade Phillips said Monday, explaining that Womo was "westing comfiwy" and watching cartoons at home and had thus far managed to keep his pinkie out of his mouth. "I'd say he's week to week, but it's up to the team medics to say when he's completely all-better-now."

The Cowboys originally sensed something was wrong when Womo threw three straight incomplete passes to begin the overtime after being sacked three times and knocked down 19 times during regulation by meanie-bullies who hate him. Their suspicions were confirmed when Womo blubbered to them on the sidelines while holding up his hurted fingey.

Womo was immediately given an orange-flavored St. Joseph aspirin and a wowwypop while a SpongeBob SquarePants Band-Aid was applied to the pinkie. When this proved inadequate, Cowboys head pediatrician Daniel "Doctor Danny" Cooper inspected Womo's pinkie while trainers distracted Womo by making a spoon into an airplane and "flying" chocolate ice cream into the quarterback's mouth.

"This was more than just the normal boo-boo," Cooper told reporters. "Tony has played through boo-boos before, like any team weader and big gwown-up boy has to. But when I saw the quivering chin, the big wet eyes, and the way he was hopping from foot to foot while holding up his widdle bitty widdy fingey, I knew this one was bad."

The NFL said no fine would be given on the hit, as it seemed to be an honest accident and no flag for roughhousing the passer was thrown on the play. It is not known whether Womo will stomp his widdle foot and complain louder to the NFL regarding the decision.

Phillips confirmed that 40-year-old backup quarterback Brad Johnson will start as long as Womo's pinkie is still an ouchie pinkie.

"It's unfortunate for the poor tyke to have to go through something like this," said Johnson, who hasn't started an NFL game since 2006. "But you know, when they're little quarterbacks they sometimes take big spills. This will just make Tony-wony tougher when he grows up. I hope."

In other Cowboys news, Adam "Pacman" Jones is still grounded for the rest of his life, or at least until he learns to stop back-sassing, and receiver Terrell Owens is listed as "probable" for Sunday's game despite suffering a chronic case of turf piggy

After reading a lot on the Cowboys, listening to sports radio, watching NFLN, and Hardknocks... I've simply gotten the impression that Wade Phillips either has or chooses to have very little say in anything other than defense.

Jason Garrett is completely the mastermind behind this offense, and will make a great head coach this season or next when JJ lets him walk away. He holds the attention and respect of everyone on that roster, and knows how to motivate. I don't see many of those qualities in Wade.

Would love to see Garrett coaching in Oakland next season.

ETA: Sorry, my point was that if Garrett doesn't feel like Romo is ready to play, I doubt we would see Romo on Sunday.

I have a feeling the person leaving will be Phillips. I think Garrett is being groomed to be the HC of the Cowboys

There is no way Romo is playing. This is all just a way to make it look like he is trying to be a tough guy. He says he wants to play so he looks like he is trying to gut it out when all along he and the whole Cowboy organization know he is not going to risk further injury.

There is no way Romo is playing. This is all just a way to make it look like he is trying to be a tough guy. He says he wants to play so he looks like he is trying to gut it out when all along he and the whole Cowboy organization know he is not going to risk further injury.

+1

Exactly what I was thinking earlier today.

He hasn't held a kick since the Seattle game, and yet you guys are still talking about this. It was old a year ago.

Yes, it sucks when people continue to punish a guy for the way he handled himself years ago.............. :wacko:

I haven't busted your balls about that in a long time. :D

Have I? :wacko:

Well, my picture of you that I throw darts at doesn't have quite as many fresh holes, so, you must be getting better.

Jerry is on a radio show right now. It sounds like Romo is playing. He said this week is a must win given the next 2 games.

Per CBS, quoting Philips as saying "There is a chance Romo will be active, but not start".

:wacko:

Perhaps I'm reading too far into this, but it looks like a clueless, egomaniac owner is getting desperate and wrestling power away from his head coach.

:wacko:

Perhaps I'm reading too far into this, but it looks like a clueless, egomaniac owner is getting desperate and wrestling power away from his head coach.

+1

Here's the CBS blurb, with some interesting comments from both Jones and Phillips:

Tony Romo, QB DAL

News: Tony Romo stood and watched when the Cowboys started practice Friday. The team still isn't saying whether Romo will play with a broken pinkie on his throwing hand. But the two-time Pro Bowl QB didn't do much when reporters were allowed to watch the early portion of the Cowboys' last practice before Sunday's game at St. Louis. Romo's right hand was wrapped, a fabric covering whatever protective device being used to apparently stabilize the pinkie, with only the tips of three fingers exposed. His index finger and thumbs were free. Brad Johnson, the 40-year-old backup in line to get his first start since 2006 for Minnesota, and third-teamer Brooks Bollinger threw passes during early drills. Romo mimicked throwing motions and lobbed only a couple of passes, but mostly stood and watched with his injured hand hanging to his side or clasped behind his back. Coach Wade Phillips, who spoke only before practice, said the team has been considering "a lot of different scenarios" since Romo started throwing Wednesday, three days after the injury that was initially expected to keep Romo out up to three games. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said in a radio interview earlier Friday that there was no chance that Romo could reinjure the pinkie because of the cast-like protection on his hand.

Analysis: Jones also said the decision if Romo will play will depend on how the quarterback feels Sunday. "It will be up to him. If he is feeling good and the pain is good, then it's likely he'll play," Jones said. "It's down to can he handle the pain?" Phillips said it was possible Romo could be active for the game without starting. It will likely be a game-time decision for Romo, so continue to check the updates and watch Fantasy Football Today on Sunday at 11 a.m. EST for the latest on Romo's status.

+1

Here's the CBS blurb, with some interesting comments from both Jones and Phillips:

Tony Romo, QB DAL

News: Tony Romo stood and watched when the Cowboys started practice Friday. The team still isn't saying whether Romo will play with a broken pinkie on his throwing hand. But the two-time Pro Bowl QB didn't do much when reporters were allowed to watch the early portion of the Cowboys' last practice before Sunday's game at St. Louis. Romo's right hand was wrapped, a fabric covering whatever protective device being used to apparently stabilize the pinkie, with only the tips of three fingers exposed. His index finger and thumbs were free. Brad Johnson, the 40-year-old backup in line to get his first start since 2006 for Minnesota, and third-teamer Brooks Bollinger threw passes during early drills. Romo mimicked throwing motions and lobbed only a couple of passes, but mostly stood and watched with his injured hand hanging to his side or clasped behind his back. Coach Wade Phillips, who spoke only before practice, said the team has been considering "a lot of different scenarios" since Romo started throwing Wednesday, three days after the injury that was initially expected to keep Romo out up to three games. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said in a radio interview earlier Friday that there was no chance that Romo could reinjure the pinkie because of the cast-like protection on his hand.

Analysis: Jones also said the decision if Romo will play will depend on how the quarterback feels Sunday. "It will be up to him. If he is feeling good and the pain is good, then it's likely he'll play," Jones said. "It's down to can he handle the pain?" Phillips said it was possible Romo could be active for the game without starting. It will likely be a game-time decision for Romo, so continue to check the updates and watch Fantasy Football Today on Sunday at 11 a.m. EST for the latest on Romo's status.

In which part of this blurb is Jones acting like an egotistical owner tryin to wrestle power from the head coach?

Just askin' :wacko:

In which part of this blurb is Jones acting like an egotistical owner tryin to wrestle power from the head coach?

Nothing in the CBS snippet was meant to dictate that Jones was an egotistical owner...I was just posting the news. I should have posted two different times, since they were two unrelated thoughts.

My "+1" was just my general agreement with Swerski that Jones is a buffoon, but again, that's just my opinion. I do think it's odd that Jones, ala Al Davis, is so involved with the on-field aspects of the Cowboys. Like so many other team owners that leave the opeartions and game-planning to the experts they hire, why is Jones so involved, and throwing quotes around? Why isn't his only quote "All on-field decisions are those of Wade Phillips"? His blurting out his opinion of whether Romo will (or won't) play is counterproductive to what his head coach might be deciding.

I think the bottom line - if Romo does start he carries huge risk. Forget what he's done this season, he has too much risk to start him. Ideally you had a decent backup and really, for QB's that shouldn't be a problem in most formats. This is a week he sits regardless of whether he's playing or not - too much risk, not enough upside.

There is another post in this thread where JJ (via a radio interview) expresses optimism that Romo will play on Sunday. JJ himself was playing catch with Romo yesterday. While Wade Phillips may not be a great HC, he's not a complete moran and knows that playing a QB with a broken finger IN HIS THROWING HAND is a f'n retarded idea. And that's not even considering the fact that they just signed Romo to a massive contract.

No offense to cowboys fans, but anybody who even remotely follows the NFL knows that Jerry Jones is an egomaniac meddler. He even seems to contradict Phillips here:

Jones also said the decision if Romo will play will depend on how the quarterback feels Sunday. "It will be up to him. If he is feeling good and the pain is good, then it's likely he'll play," Jones said. "It's down to can he handle the pain?" Phillips said it was possible Romo could be active for the game without starting.