[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Polamalu criticizes current state of NFL

Menudo

Steelers Notebook: Polamalu criticizes current state of NFL

Thursday, October 16, 2008

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Troy Polamalu looks at the recent fines to Hines Ward for unnecessary roughness, the penalties to players who hit quarterbacks and wonders what those running the NFL are turning the sport into.

They're taking the physical nature of the game out of the game, Polamalu said.

"It loses so much of its essence, and it really becomes like a pansy game," the Steelers' Pro Bowl strong safety said.

"I think regarding the evolution of football, it's becoming more and more flag football, two-hand touch. We've really lost the essence of what real American football is about. I think it's probably all about money. They're not really concerned about safety."

Polamalu said it's tough to know when you can even hit a quarterback anymore.

"You have to figure out how to tackle people a new way," he said. "There's such a fine line. I guess, hitting quarterbacks late and whether they're going to slide or come forward -- it's too much.

"If you look at any sport, maybe besides mixed martial arts, it's a real gladiator sport. We go out there at a high speed, killing each other."

Players from previous generations would not make it today, Polamalu said, not because of talent but because they were too physical.

"You see guys like Dick Butkus and those types of really raw, old-school, pound-it-out football players; they could never survive in a game like this today.

"The Ronnie Lotts, the Jack Tatums -- these guys who really went after people. They were that way because the game was physical. They couldn't survive in this type of game. They wouldn't have enough money because they'd be paying fines, and then they'd be suspended for a year after they did it two games in a row."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno, when you look at the injuries in today's game, can you imagine what the NFL would look like at the end of a 16 game season if there were no rules for safety? Jim Sorgi vs. David Carr in the SB instead of Manning vs. Manning?

I think the game is enormously entertaining and I agree with those who'd prefer that the rules are put in place to help insure the safety of the players. Football has always been, and remains a physical and dangerous game. For every step the league takes to stem violence, the game gets more violent as players grow bigger and faster. Some of these guys are total nut jobs and others are simply talented athletes who enjoy the game. I think it's wise to enact some protection from the former for the latter.

I suppose I don't feel I deserve to have guys cripple each other for my enjoyment. I enjoy the game of football and don't enjoy Pro Wrestling.

I agree with needing to keep the game as safe as possible, but, it has been made difficult on defensive players. I've seen a couple of example where defensive players eased up on Roethlisberger, to try to avoid a penalty, and he ended up getting free and making a big play. I've seen a few examples of roughing the QB that were downright ridiculous. I played Linebacker in college, and I don't know how a guy is supposed to be able to stop himself on a dime and not hit a QB when he is right up on him when the QB throws. Lets not forget that these players are trained to get to the QB.

Like I said, I will never question rules put in place to try to keep players healthy, but, I have seem some officials go overboard in trying to enforce these rules.

Hines Ward being fined for making hard blocks before the whistle, that were not penalized during the game is ridiculous. You play until the whistle, and I can't even tell you how many of those "rough" blocks have sprung big plays for the Steelers over the years.

Edited by Menudo

What an idiot. How many scary concussions have we seen ALREADY this season?? Besides that, he isn't even correct. Guys didn't try to hurt each other in the old days, not often anyways. Football used to be a sport. It was a game that you tried to win. It was not a war where the last man standing won. Bigger, faster, stronger, right? In our lifetime, guys are going to start dying on the field, and some won't wake up from these concussions. What a joke. Some of these guys are just geniuses.

I see both sides...I think of the game 20 years ago, and how QBs in particular just got KILLED. I think you got like two full steps to clobber the QB after he released the ball, and it was interpreted about as loosely as NBA refs applied the travelling rule to michael jordan. makes you really appreciate the QBs of that era....like elway, who took it all and kept going,and montana and marino who were so slick at not taking huge hits.

The size, power and speed of today's players has grown considerably. The athletes have evolved, and the NFL was wise to evolve along with it. NFL QB's are easily the most unprotected players in the game, and the most important. It would seem silly not to recognize that aspect and not attempt to place some "ground rules" into effect. I'm not sure I agree with every new rule the NFL implements, but I do see the wisdom in it.

How many concussions have we seen recently? how many ex-NFL players suffer post concussion syndrome? Chrebet and Toon from the Jets still have problems... remeber Pete Banazak?

I think the NFL has simply become more aware of what happens to ex-pros after the last game. Art Shell had a lot to do with that, putting pressure on the NFL to take care of these retired players. Yes, they have made the QB hits over-done, and I do think that money is the motivation for protecting QB's to a large extent, but we know more about concussions now... and I have no problem with the horse collar tackle being illegal now.

No doubt, the NFL wants to protect it's star players. But, I do believe they also want players to be able to live normal lives after their last snap.

I don't think it's the rules, in general that are the problem, but it's the officiating. It lacks consistant rule enforcement from one ref crew to the next and one game to another. Incidental contact with helmets is called too often. Clear head hunting is too often missed.

All of that said... I don't think the game is as bad off as Polamalu suggests. As a defensive player, he isn't a target. D linemen might have reason to complain, but a safety? Tell Polamalu to hit at the pads or below, but not at the knees. I don't think that is unreasonable. In the old days, that's how guys like Butkus made tackles.

How many concussions have we seen recently? how many ex-NFL players suffer post concussion syndrome? Chrebet and Toon from the Jets still have problems... remeber Pete Banazak?

I think the NFL has simply become more aware of what happens to ex-pros after the last game. Art Shell had a lot to do with that, putting pressure on the NFL to take care of these retired players. Yes, they have made the QB hits over-done, and I do think that money is the motivation for protecting QB's to a large extent, but we know more about concussions now... and I have no problem with the horse collar tackle being illegal now.

No doubt, the NFL wants to protect it's star players. But, I do believe they also want players to be able to live normal lives after their last snap.

I don't think it's the rules, in general that are the problem, but it's the officiating. It lacks consistant rule enforcement from one ref crew to the next and one game to another. Incidental contact with helmets is called too often. Clear head hunting is too often missed.

All of that said... I don't think the game is as bad off as Polamalu suggests. As a defensive player, he isn't a target. D linemen might have reason to complain, but a safety? Tell Polamalu to hit at the pads or below, but not at the knees. I don't think that is unreasonable. In the old days, that's how guys like Butkus made tackles.

I couldn't have said it better. The textbook tackle is to put your facemask into the tackle-ee's numbers, wrap up and drive him to the ground. I mean, who'd want to watch (or play fantasy) if by mid-season your star offensive players were GTD's?

I couldn't have said it better. The textbook tackle is to put your facemask into the tackle-ee's numbers, wrap up and drive him to the ground. I mean, who'd want to watch (or play fantasy) if by mid-season your star offensive players were GTD's?

They have actually changed the "textbook". Coaches do their best to teach shoulder in the numbers, but still...put a helmet on and try making the tops of your of your shoulders touch the wall without letting your head touch the wall. It is impossible. Helmets will make contact with some part of the ball carrier on every single hit. Someone needs to tell Polamalu that his pocketbook would be considerably lighter if the quarterbacks, running backs and receivers were not protected species.

Now, I'm all for pitching and defense, but if players weren't allowed to hit homeruns I wouldn't pay much money to watch baseball.

Pay closer attention to the next game you watch in terms of how "tackles" are made. I've done this recently and was amazed how few "textbook" tackles I saw. In fact good, solid hits were surprisingly infrequent - lots of partial hits or guys getting simply pushed down, more guys going out of bounds now, many going down w/o a clean hit etc. I know players are bigger and badder and all but not seeing all these "brutal" hits. And don't even get me started on how quickly and stupidly roughing the passer is over-called.

Edited by BeeR

Another point,back then, they didn't have $100 million invested in a QB, or $70 million in a reciever, $50 million RB's. I know theseare far from the average but the point is the same. Owners want their investments protected, as well I'm sure that quite a few athletes don't mind being somewhat protected themselves.

I dunno, when you look at the injuries in today's game, can you imagine what the NFL would look like at the end of a 16 game season if there were no rules for safety? Jim Sorgi vs. David Carr in the SB instead of Manning vs. Manning?

Agreed. Even with the rules, it is better for the game when more people stay healthy throughout the season. I've still seen my share of big hits over the past few years. This game can still be very rough and I don't think there's anything wrong with protecting skill players. My only issue is to make sure every player is judged by the same standards and that past precedent rarely (but sometimes) comes into play.

Edited by TDFFFreak

When I was 15 or 16 I saw LT snap Theisman's fibula in two, and drive it into the ground. For that reason, I respectfully disagree with Polamalu. :wacko:

No chit - that was LT? I remember watching it and then remember the announcers say "if you're squeamish, don't watch this" as they replayed it about a million times.

They have actually changed the "textbook". Coaches do their best to teach shoulder in the numbers, but still...put a helmet on and try making the tops of your of your shoulders touch the wall without letting your head touch the wall. It is impossible. Helmets will make contact with some part of the ball carrier on every single hit. Someone needs to tell Polamalu that his pocketbook would be considerably lighter if the quarterbacks, running backs and receivers were not protected species.

Now, I'm all for pitching and defense, but if players weren't allowed to hit homeruns I wouldn't pay much money to watch baseball.

I agree... and yes, in my playing days it was facemask into the ball. Leading with the helmet. I ran like a battering ram leading with my helmet, and got my share of concussions that way too. I knocked some kids out cold, and there were games I played in with TD's scored that I could not remember. Thankfully, these idiot HS coaches now teach shoulder tackling and don't use water deprivation as a "toughening up" tool. It's a wonder some kids on my HS football team didn't end uop in the hospital with severe dehydration.

Incidental helmet contact is part of the game. It can't be made illegal, but I've seen some calls in the NFL that are plain silly, especilly in the case of incidental helmet contact with opposing QB's.

Player protection and allowing the players play is a fine line. I think Polamalu is just venting.... the NFL will never be a a tasty morsel game. Ask the linemen.

I never did like cheap shots. I eventually left the sport of hockey as a fan because cheap shots were practically encouraged. The game has rules. Some rules suck. Adapt. Refine your tackling fundamentals. And don't whine...

Tell Polamalu to hit at the pads or below, but not at the knees. I don't think that is unreasonable. In the old days, that's how guys like Butkus made tackles.

the rest of your post was great, but I think this part is mythologizing a bit. a lot of guys were dirty as hell back in the day of butkus, dobler, deacon, etc. a guy like butkus hit you like he wanted to kill you. helmet to helmet? uhh, yeah....all day long. just get on youtube and look at the highlight reels, and listen to the voiceovers talking about how butkus didnt just want to put you in the hospital, but in the graveyard. I don't really see it as good or bad, but the game has changed a lot since then. with the speed and freakish weight room strength of the guys today, they WOULD be sending guys to the graveyard if they let them play like they did in butkus' day.

I agree... and yes, in my playing days it was facemask into the ball. Leading with the helmet. I ran like a battering ram leading with my helmet, and got my share of concussions that way too. I knocked some kids out cold, and there were games I played in with TD's scored that I could not remember. Thankfully, these idiot HS coaches now teach shoulder tackling and don't use water deprivation as a "toughening up" tool. It's a wonder some kids on my HS football team didn't end uop in the hospital with severe dehydration.

Incidental helmet contact is part of the game. It can't be made illegal, but I've seen some calls in the NFL that are plain silly, especilly in the case of incidental helmet contact with opposing QB's.

Player protection and allowing the players play is a fine line. I think Polamalu is just venting.... the NFL will never be a a tasty morsel game. Ask the linemen.

I never did like cheap shots. I eventually left the sport of hockey as a fan because cheap shots were practically encouraged. The game has rules. Some rules suck. Adapt. Refine your tackling fundamentals. And don't whine...

He was venting in an effort to stick up for his teammate, HInes Ward. Hines was fined for "unnecessary roughness" the last two games, and the league didn't even identify what plays he was being fined for. Ward was not penalized for anything during those games. Tomlin came out and said "Hines Ward plays the game the way it is supposed to be played, I told him not to change anything"

As for my stance, I understand the safety concerns, and don't think ANYONE wants to see guys injured. I agree with the safety first aspect, but, I get very annoyed with some of the "roughing the passer" calls. Many of them are downright ridiculous.