[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tanking

Hat Trick

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you do if you know for sure an owner is tanking? He has told me so. Just curious on the responses. $$ league of course

Um, he explicitly told you he's tanking? Time to immediately remove him from the league and have the commish take the team over until you can find a replacement. If it's a redraft league, you're not going to find one, but at least you should hopefully be able to trust the commish to run the team fairly.

To me, so long as he's submitting a complete lineup (if so I'm assuming he is sitting his better players) then there's not much you can do. Obviously he can't be invited back. But if he's not filling a complete lineup, the commish needs to take over the team for him.

Um, he explicitly told you he's tanking? Time to immediately remove him from the league and have the commish take the team over until you can find a replacement. If it's a redraft league, you're not going to find one, but at least you should hopefully be able to trust the commish to run the team fairly.

I AM the commish. This is the two time defending champ, he's 1-5 and was extremely lucky the previous two years. He's been all down and out since losing last week going to 1-5 and stated he was going to starting trading off his players. He has since traded off one of his best players (Owens)to his best friend for a DEF. He then told me

" I am just dis-mantling my team...

I told you I would..."

There is history with him and his best friend, they try to work deals for each other through other owners and such, its weird, like they are working together, they trade all the time, every year.

Edited by Hat Trick

If it's a redraft league, there's little to no reason why he'd tank his season. Assuming this is a dynasty. If he's tanking - and has explicitly told you so - you terminate his involvement with the league immediately, have the commish set the "best" lineup each week and find a new owner in the off-season.

If it's a redraft league, there's little to no reason why he'd tank his season. Assuming this is a dynasty. If he's tanking - and has explicitly told you so - you terminate his involvement with the league immediately, have the commish set the "best" lineup each week and find a new owner in the off-season.

It's a redraft work league, his draft strategies are always terrible, he gets people to trade with him somehow, and really dumb trades. Now since his team is sucking he's trading his best players to his good friends team, its just odd.

Sounds like collusion and that's a no-no. How are the trades going through? Does the league vote or is it commish approval?

12 teamer...

Trades

- Owners have 24 hours to register a veto on a trade (on the message board or in an email to the commissioner). If there are 5 or less vetoes on a trade, the trade will be approved when that 24 hour period has lapsed. If there are 6 or more vetoes an additional 24 hour period is required during which 3 more vetoes would be required to veto the trade. The two owners involved in the trade can not vote (meaning the trade would be vetoed with a 6-4 vote). If after 48 hours 3 more vetoes have not been cast the trade will be approved.

It was a 5-5 split, with two owners not voting, being on vacation.

also, you are allowed to vote for your own trade, I don;t think that's right, but I could not figure out a way to turn that off in MFL.

Edited by Hat Trick

does his name rhyme with beggers?

:D

agree with the others. trade needs to be revoked and you (commish) need to take over his team until a replacement is found.

edit: btw.. wanted to talk trade with you in doh! log onto your im sometime tonight :wacko:

Edited by Bier Meister

Let me see if I understand this:

He is 1-5.

He has told you, directly, that he's tanking.

He has traded owens for a defense.

If you want to be able to look in the mirror, this d00sh has to go. He has to go now. Find someone else to run his team for the season or you put in his line up for the rest of the season except when he plays you. Then designate someone else.

If I was in the league and you didn't get rid of him, I'd be gone.

I am against owners approving/disapproving trades. However, please explain to me how three owners approved a trade of Owens for a defense? Does your league consist of morans? You should show your entire league this thread. You'll obviously have to read the thread to the three owners who approved the trade as I am certain that given their deficits, they are not literate. (I am assuming that the other two approval votes came from those who were involved.)

edit: unless your league has a really different method of defense scoring.

Edited by untateve

I am against owners approving/disapproving trades. However, please explain to me how three owners approved a trade of Owens for a defense? Does your league consist of morans? You should show your entire league this thread. You'll obviously have to read the thread to the three owners who approved the trade as I am certain that given their deficits, they are not literate. (I am assuming that the other two approval votes came from those who were involved.)

The other three that voted for it state their view on trades as such:

"I approve all trades, if an owner is dumb enough to do the trade then I will accept his wish"

The other three that voted for it state their view on trades as such:

"I approve all trades, if an owner is dumb enough to do the trade then I will accept his wish"

I'm wondering if they approve it if they know that the owner is deliberately tanking?

edit: There is a difference between a really bad trade and intentionally giving away your best players for a defense.

Edited by untateve

Let me see if I understand this:

He is 1-5.

He has told you, directly, that he's tanking.

He has traded owens for a defense.

If you want to be able to look in the mirror, this d00sh has to go. He has to go now. Find someone else to run his team for the season or you put in his line up for the rest of the season except when he plays you. Then designate someone else.

If I was in the league and you didn't get rid of him, I'd be gone.

+1 You can't have people openly talking about tanking and still have a strong league. My best friend and I always played in 2 leagues together and everyone knew we would split all of our winnings, but we never ever traded with each other or had any kind of collusion.

You can't have a good league with that BS going on.

Time for these 2 owners to explain to the league how this trade benefits both teams. This easily crosses into collusion, especially since one owner has specifically told you that he has quit and is "dismatling" his team. After the explanations, allow the league to vote as to whether the deal is collusion. If found to be collusion after the explanation by a super majority, it's time to undo the trade & kick both owners out of the league - NOW!

I'm sure you can find a couple of guys here who would be happy to fill in for the remainder of the season.

What a damn shame.

Edited by Bronco Billy

One thing our league has had from the start is a ranking system for total points during the week. It's a 10 team league and lowest total pays $9 for a given week, 2nd lowest pays $8 all the way to the high score who pays nothing. We also charge $5 for a loss. This is all the incentive we have needed from our owners to keep managing their teams. If you have a fire sale, you can potentially lose an extra $14 per week.

We just have Commish trades and have never vetoed a trade (haven't had any reason to either). We also have rules stipulating an owner quitting in the middle of a season will have whatever fee's he's incurred to be pro-rated for the rest of the season - and then we add 20% to that total. We then find someone to replace that team and that replacement owner manages the team for 'free". It's a good system of checks and balances (we haven't ever had to find a replacement owner).

Time for these 2 owners to explain to the league how this trade benefits both teams. This easily crosses into collusion, especially since one owner has specifically told you that he has quit and is "dismatling" his team. After the explanations, allow the league to vote as to whether the deal is collusion. If found to be collusion after the explanation by a super majority, it's time to undo the trade & kick both owners out of the league - NOW!

I'm sure you can find a couple of guys here who would be happy to fill in for the remainder of the season.

What a damn shame.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I couldn't agree w/BB more... :wacko:

The tanking is bad enough, but this collusory trade is CHEATING, plain and simple.

I'm sure this is probably a friend which makes this hard, but the ONLY correct response here is to remove him from the league immediately. No refund. See if you can find someone else to manage his obviously bad but paid for team for the rest of the season.

As Commish, you can't allow this. You have to send a message to the rest of the owners that this is not ever tolerated. If this is a friend, then maybe sit down and have a beer with him and say, if you can promise never to pull this crap again, then if ALL other owners agree, you can re-join the league next year, but this season is done for you.

I'm wondering if they approve it if they know that the owner is deliberately tanking?

edit: There is a difference between a really bad trade and intentionally giving away your best players for a defense.

No, nobody knew of what was said to me. I have sent an email to the league and leaving it up to what everyone has to say at this point. I am leaving town in a few minutes and won't have access to a puter to be part of whatever blows up until I get back tommorow.