[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Love seeing rivers fail

LayLow

Laylow, who is your team and what's with the hate-on for Rivers?

because the guy's been on camera a couple of times jawing at Cutler or the Indy fans? lol

many players talk...even Cutler who himself seems to come off as a bit of an ass if you ask me.

because of the Buffalo blackout, i could only see from the third Q on. but we were in the game. it came down to the pick in the endzone mid-4th, yes.

but to act as if its all Rivers just so you can piss on him is moronic. wasn't his best day, but we've definitely got other issues. like no pass rush without Merriman, and little to no running game with LT's toe and perhaps the loss of Lo Neal. Rivers did throw two TDs and is up there in the league this year for TD passes.

i've heard Rivers talk plenty of times. he respects the game and the history of the game. he's definitely an exciteable player and needs to reel it in sometimes, but i'm very happy to have him and i know his teammates respect him.

things aren't always what they seem. hell, Brett Favre was everyone's model for what a pro QB should be. starting to seem like he isn't everything the media made him out to be....especially given the reports of today.

+1. The hatred of Rivers by so many is a shame. The kid plays with a lot of heart and fire and is the team leader. He's improved immensely and has toned down the extra-curricular stuff. I'm glad Rivers is having an outstanding season and glad the bashers had to wait 7 weeks to be able to post this thread. I'm not happy that the team is doing poorly, but that goes well beyond things that Rivers can control.

You're reaching here, he didn't say anything about one specific play. Weak attempt.

I responded to the hit and the joy that someone got hurt. No one deserves a blind side hit for just standing near the play. Clifton didn't deserve the Sapp hit either legal or not.

You know, he might be an okay guy, but Rivers comes off as a punk of Ryan Leaf proportions to those of us that are on the outside.

Rivers has toned down the sideline jawing that got him into trouble last year with the media and opposing fans. To compare him to Ryan Leaf (who was a bonafide moran through and through) is a stretch.

The hatred of Rivers by so many is a shame. The kid plays with a lot of heart and fire and is the team leader. He's improved immensely and has toned down the extra-curricular stuff. I'm glad Rivers is having an outstanding season and glad the bashers had to wait 7 weeks to be able to post this thread. I'm not happy that the team is doing poorly, but that goes well beyond things that Rivers can control.

Very well said.

+1. The hatred of Rivers by so many is a shame. The kid plays with a lot of heart and fire and is the team leader. He's improved immensely and has toned down the extra-curricular stuff. I'm glad Rivers is having an outstanding season and glad the bashers had to wait 7 weeks to be able to post this thread. I'm not happy that the team is doing poorly, but that goes well beyond things that Rivers can control.

He brought on himself. Once you have established a rep, it takes twice as long to shake it. BTW... didn't say I hated him... just strong dislike. Hate is a strong word.

I'm old school... hate the on field trash taking, let your play do the talking. Get in the end zone, get a sack, get a turnover.... act like you have done it before. Doin a jiggley-wiggley dance on a tackle for a one yard loss is pretty freakin silly. Win a playoff game... dance all night.

You know, he might be an okay guy, but Rivers comes off as a punk of Ryan Leaf proportions to those of us that are on the outside.

Wow, that might be a bit of a stretch.

Funny thing is, he was always hyped as such a good guy out here in NC when he was at State. Goes to show you that you never know.

Hard to get the image out of my head when he did all that jawing , especially towards Cutler i believe it was ...

He definitely has not shown to be old school up till now ( i love old school ) but hopefully that changes

I think it was posted somehwere a while ago that Rivers does alot of charity work and is suppose to be a good guy however

Edited by isleseeya

As usual, Bushwacked and I are on the exact same page.

I just saw highlights of the game...and not only did he throw that Redzone int, he then fumbled on the next series and Buffalo ran the clock out for the win...LOL

Say what you will. He's the #1 fantasy QB right now. No one I'd rather have, looking at the schedule. May approach 40 TDs...

Edited by ROYALWITCHEESE

As usual, Bushwacked and I are on the exact same page.

:wacko:

I've never much criticized the talkers or yappers, especially when they seem to do it all in fun. I leave that to the Bronco BeeR Billys of the Huddle needing to get a hard-on about something.

Philips has done more than enough to back it up, but he comes across as a punk that would sucker punch somebody and run behind his O-lineman and talk smack.

the one big incident involved Rivers jawing at Cutler, calling him a baby.

well, Cutler's been talking lately and considers himself up there with Elway.

and i still can't get the image of Cutler's mother hand-feeding him on draft-day out of my head.

time will tell, but i'm guessing Cutler might turn out to be the biggest ass here.

the only other incident was Rivers going at it with Colt fans. well, Rivers doesn't swear and he admittedly enjoys the bantering.

doesn't sound sound that harmful to me. i do admit that it will never come off looking good on camera, i really don't think its as bad as it appears. again, time will tell, but i'm confident this kid has his head on straight.

thinking he is meaning Phillip Rivers and not Keith who was de-cleated by Ward. And that was one heck of a hit...Woow...

You're right. I thought he meant Keith.

I'm not a fan of Rivers either and like the Chargers less with him at QB. He reminds me of Leaf in some ways.

He brought on himself. Once you have established a rep, it takes twice as long to shake it. BTW... didn't say I hated him... just strong dislike. Hate is a strong word.

I'm old school... hate the on field trash taking, let your play do the talking. Get in the end zone, get a sack, get a turnover.... act like you have done it before. Doin a jiggley-wiggley dance on a tackle for a one yard loss is pretty freakin silly. Win a playoff game... dance all night.

You are way off. When has Rivers ever done a jiggly-wiggly dance?

If you're "old school", then you would know trash talk is as old as the game itself. The great ones have always done it, as have many others. Talking your opponent out of his game, is part of the game...

Hard to get the image out of my head when he did all that jawing , especially towards Cutler i believe it was ...

He definitely has not shown to be old school up till now ( i love old school ) but hopefully that changes

I think it was posted somehwere a while ago that Rivers does alot of charity work and is suppose to be a good guy however

Yeah I'm sure Mr. Jay "I'm better than John Elway" Cutler was the innocent bystander. :wacko:

I think his recent comments show you his part in that incident...

It cracks me up that Chargers fans are in here trying to defend Rivers.

A bunch of fans of teams that have no reason to dislike the Chargers are now rooting against them because they think Rivers is an ass. Are we all wrong ? :wacko:

The kid is a cocky jackass, which is why I and other fans don't like him, even if he doesn't swear. :D

You are way off. When has Rivers ever done a jiggly-wiggly dance?

If you're "old school", then you would know trash talk is as old as the game itself. The great ones have always done it, as have many others. Talking your opponent out of his game, is part of the game...

Dude... reading comprehension problem? Rivers never nade a tackle for a one yard loss while playing defense and did a jiggly-wiggly dance. That was a reference to D linemen who do such stupid stuff. You are way off, actually.

• 4 weeks later...

There is another fantasy football forum that I peek at from time to time. They have a thread titled "Who is your least favorite player in the NFL ?"

The winner, in a landslide: Phillip Rivers

So, it isn't just Huddle bias, it seems no one can stand him. The word most used to describe him in that thread was "Punk" That is exactly what I think when I see him.

There is another fantasy football forum that I peek at from time to time. They have a thread titled "Who is your least favorite player in the NFL ?"

The winner, in a landslide: Phillip Rivers

So, it isn't just Huddle bias, it seems no one can stand him. The word most used to describe him in that thread was "Punk" That is exactly what I think when I see him.

+1

please cite one example of something "punkish" Rivers has done this year.

He went to a Sex Pistols concert.

Seriously, it doesn't have to be the "big story" type of things like the Cutler situation last year, the guy just come across as a cocky, whiny, little punk.

Everyone seems to see it, except Chargers fans, of course. :wacko:

He went to a Sex Pistols concert.

Seriously, it doesn't have to be the "big story" type of things like the Cutler situation last year, the guy just come across as a cocky, whiny, little punk.

Everyone seems to see it, except Chargers fans, of course. :D

Yet again. Free pass for Cutler. Rivers? "Screw him"! :wacko: And I couldn't care less about the Chargers...

Edited by ROYALWITCHEESE

Yet again. Free pass for Cutler. Rivers? "Screw him"! :wacko: And I couldn't care less about the Chargers...

Agreed.

Cutler whines more. Pouts more. Beats his chest in boasting more. Talks major trash (just isn't caught on film). Free pass.

The difference is that Rivers was caught on film and the media caused a storm. The media pretty much moved on, but FF fans did not.

I just think fans like to see young QBs with winning records taken down a peg.

(and FF fans are generally squeaky wheels... the whiners make the most noise. You see it in every thread.)

Big Ben for his non motorcycle helmet skills.

Eli for crying on stage at the draft.

Brady for having kids to unwed mothers.

Romo for the FG fiasco.

Only way Rivers will get past his one instance on tape is if he wins a championship. Probably won't happen, but stranger things have happened. Sucks to be have your fan appeal based on one instance... but it happens. It happens a lot.