[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thoughts on the FLEX postion in FF

weebo

Currently i am in a 10 team league.

we must start one TE each week, scoring is

6 pts TD

2 pts 50 yrds recieving

2 pts each additional 25 yards

|Right now there is a big uproar in the league about the manditory starting of the TE, its mainly coming from the guys who don't have Witten Gates or they are trying to bring in the flex WR/TE postion next year. Also curently we start 2 WR, so they would like to keep starting 2 WR then as flex pick between a 3rd reciever or a TE

I have never played with the flex, are are the upsides and or downsides???

will it elimate the drafting of TE's

Thanks for your thoughts

My other 8 man league starts...

QB

RB,RB

WR,WR,WR

Flex (RB or WR)

Def/ST

Kicker

Although we do not have a mandatory TE position, many people draft TE as we are allowed to play them as a WR. The TE position is still used quite a bit. Gates, Winslow, Witten, Cooley all started on teams this week. That being said, I enjoy the flex. Maybe I'm biased because I started Mewelde Moore in the flex today!!

Edited by heehawks

Flex positions are good ... but shouldn't remove the TE position.

Starting lineup requirements = something like 1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 PK, 1 DF and 1 Flex that can be a RB, WR or TE.

You can make it 2 WRs and allow 2 Flex positions as well.

If you don't require a TE then absolutely it will change the draft and it devalues the top TEs severly if you allow other teams to start a WR instead of a TE.

I like having a flex position in most cases, if only because it makes covering bye weeks & injuries a bit easier at times. However, in a FF situation where the league is a dynasty, salary cap, maybe IDP (in effect a fantasy league that is attempting to mimic the real NFL as closely as possible) then I think I'd prefer a more traditional starting lineup requirement, where TE was mandatory ... even then, I guess the case could be made for a TE/WR "flex" position, when you take into account the run 'n shoot days.

It all comes down to personal preference I guess, like most things, there is a plus and minus for either.

I don't like flex positions. It makes RBs even more valuable (assuming that you can start one at the position) which isn't good IMO.

What you describe for your league next year really isn't a "flex". You would be making it into a league where a TE is not mandatory, In those leagues, only the elite TEs get drafted/started, as most don't put up #3 WR type numbers.

Starting lineup requirements = something like 1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 PK, 1 DF and 1 Flex that can be a RB, WR or TE.

If you don't require a TE then absolutely it will change the draft and it devalues the top TEs severly if you allow other teams to start a WR instead of a TE.

I agree 100%

Thanks Grits...i agree

i dont ever want to loos the TE postion, this would be something that i would pass onto my league mate

The only flex league I am in has that line-up and I love it. Works great for injuries and bye weeks. Allows for different strategy as well.

Totally concur! :wacko:

I agree, we use nearly this exact lineup for offense except we only have to start 2 WR's.

The thing that makes the flex position nice is it can allow a team that may be weak at RB or TE to make up for it at WR.

The thing that makes the flex position nice is it can allow a team that may be weak at RB or TE to make up for it at WR.

A better way to do this, IMO, is to allow a party to start 4 WRs and 1RB, instead of 3 and 2.

I just have something against being allowed to start 3 RBs, I guess. :wacko:

A better way to do this, IMO, is to allow a party to start 4 WRs and 1RB, instead of 3 and 2.

I just have something against being allowed to start 3 RBs, I guess. :wacko:

Well, it depends on the scoring format. In ppr, you're better off starting 3 good WRs over a flex RB.

In my ppr work league we start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 WR/RB/TE, 1TE, 1 K, 1 DST. I would love to start 4 WRs though, since I have Fitz, Gennings, Andre Johnson and Roddy White.

Edited by gsmayes

flex makes it too easy to put in a starting lineup...

Not really because it makes you dig deeper into your roster. Maybe your 3rd WR or 3rd RB sort of sucks. Then it makes it hard to come up with a line-up because you're trotting out some garbage player while your opponent might have some talent that would have sat on the bench.

My personal preference is for deeper starting lineups including flex. It levels the "value" a bit in the positions and increases the strategy involved not just in drafting, but in roster and lineup management.

Assuming a 12 team league, I like 1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K and 1 D with a flex that can be RB/WR/TE. I would even go so far as to make it a 2RB mandatory, but that devaules the QB even more and the WR to an extent, though PPR scoring can offset this a bit when considering the flex position.