[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The complete history of....

Chief Dick

There have been individuals on the Lions with the lunch-bucket heart of the old Motor City (Joe Schmidt, Chris Spielman). There have been incredible talents that fit right in in Motown (Lem Barney, Barry Sanders). But the one and only soul who totally encompasses all that the Lions have been for the past fifty years is Big Willie Style himself, William Clay Ford Sr. The black sheep of a mighty family, with the desire and resources to succeed but the total lack of ability to do so. The Lions have been him, personified, ever since he bought the team ('72, IIRC).

Peace

policy

There have been individuals on the Lions with the lunch-bucket heart of the old Motor City (Joe Schmidt, Chris Spielman). There have been incredible talents that fit right in in Motown (Lem Barney, Barry Sanders). But the one and only soul who totally encompasses all that the Lions have been for the past fifty years is Big Willie Style himself, William Clay Ford Sr. The black sheep of a mighty family, with the desire and resources to succeed but the total lack of ability to do so. The Lions have been him, personified, ever since he bought the team ('72, IIRC).

Peace

policy

Actually 1964

Marv Levy, would be my choice.

Distant 2nd, Jim Kelly.

Don Beebe's play against Leon Lett, in my mind crystalized the never say die attitude of that team. Winning tons of games or losing Superbowls, they never gave up.

Ralph deserves mention as a real maverick starting the team and the AFL in 1960 for 20 k.

Bob Kraft. Saved the team from moving to CT, built a new stadium and brought 3 superbowls to NE.

That's one way of putting it. Or, as one of my employees rather passionately put it...

"I grew up in CT and lived there when that crap went down. Dude never had any intention of moving the team to CT. Nobody did and he was simply playing the state of CT to squeeze a better stadium out of Mass. He's a f'ing crook and broke the hearts of many people in CT. Not me, mind you, 'cause I've always hated that #^$#&% franchise."

Again, simply repeating what he said. Not my words at all.

That's one way of putting it. Or, as one of my employees rather passionately put it...

"I grew up in CT and lived there when that crap went down. Dude never had any intention of moving the team to CT. Nobody did and he was simply playing the state of CT to squeeze a better stadium out of Mass. He's a f'ing crook and broke the hearts of many people in CT. Not me, mind you, 'cause I've always hated that #^$#&% franchise."

Again, simply repeating what he said. Not my words at all.

This reminds me of all the NBA franchises who threaten to move to St. Louis with no real intention of even considering it, so they can get a better deal somewhere else.

Wake me when we actually get a deal signed.