[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ryan Torain

fantasyfreak

The other Ryan Torain thread is too long and has degraded. Time for a new thread about Torain's upcoming start and emergence as a dominant RB. Let's keep this on topic, please.

What do you guys think about the Bronco's running back performance tonight?

I think it was pretty average considering the Patriots were focusing on stopping Culter and the Bronco passing attack. Pittman so far has 88 yds for 4.4 yds/carry. Pitmann has one fumbles and Hall has two. Pittman was also hurt briefly (he's 33 years old). For Torain, I think this was a great lead in to the bye week where Shanahan will have two weeks to incorporate Torain into the offense.

Torain will have to earn it. The bye week will really help give him a chance to prove himself in practice, but he'll need to produce with whatever opportunities he's given in week 9. I don't see how Torain leapfrogs Pittman and Young before the next game though.

Torain will have to earn it. The bye week will really help give him a chance to prove himself in practice, but he'll need to produce with whatever opportunities he's given in week 9. I don't see how Torain leapfrogs Pittman and Young before the next game though.

I'll tell you how. Neither Pittman nor Young have been dominant in any of their games this year. Opposing teams have not respected Denver's running game and have really focused on Denver's passing game. Notice how the first 3 games of the season, Cutler, Royal, and Marshall had big games, and since they've done nothing. I think after tonight's performance, Shannahan will not hesitate trying something new.

Agreed, it will still be a RBBC, but Torain now assumes the role that Andre Hall had....those 2 fumbles did not bode well with Shanny.....If Torain runs strong, I think it's Torain/Pittman, and not Young/Pittman.....they need a spark on that team

Here's my two cents. I am in a league that, up until this season, allowed for only one keeper. At the draft, the owners decided to make it two. I've been riding LT for a while, but it looks like he's slowing down. With LT still on my roster, I drafted HIghtower, DeAngelo, and T Jones (we can only have four RBs). A couple of weeks ago I cut Jones (yes, seems like madness, but bear with me....). I picked up Torain and plan to keep him thru the end of the year to see how he sets up as a keeper for next year. At the time, I cut Jones bc he was struggling, in hindsight, I may have cut DeAngelo, but I think Jones will slow down near the end of the year and Torain may provide the home-run hitter I need for the playoffs this year. We'll see.

I am not sure he will be any kind of a force down the stretch this year, but if he is, it will be gravy. Even tho Shenanigans has a recent history of playing the carousel with his RBs, his long term history shows he likes to commit to a back. Consequently, I can look at going into next year with two of LT/Hightower/Torain as my keepers. If a couple of them do not look like they'll be top-shelf, I can still keep Larry Fitzgerald (this isn't a PPR league).

So, for the long haul, if you are in a keeper league and get him on your roster, I think it's a good move. It's a gamble for the rest of this year, but I'm taking it, obviously.

Ouch...just saw my opponent for this week in that league has Jones going against me (vs Chiefs). Payback's a biatch! :wacko:

I suppose you were thinking of the future when you kept Hightower over Jones but I certainly wouldn't have played it that way. Something pretty crazy is going to have to happen for Hightower to be slotted top 20 next year and that's what he'd have to be to warrant a keeper spot.

It's amazing how much hype Torrain has generated on these boards. I picked him up along with probably everyone else on these boards wishing on a star to emerge. But seriously, how much do we even know about this guy? For one thing, he seems a bit injury prone which makes me wonder if he can hold up in the NFL. Is he a power runner, break away runner, good receiver? Can he pick up the blitz and protect Cutler? Please someone fill me in on the mystery of Ryan Torrain. At this point, all we're talking about is hype for a guy that doesn't even have 1 NFL carry.....amazing.

It's amazing how much hype Torrain has generated on these boards. I picked him up along with probably everyone else on these boards wishing on a star to emerge. But seriously, how much do we even know about this guy? For one thing, he seems a bit injury prone which makes me wonder if he can hold up in the NFL. Is he a power runner, break away runner, good receiver? Can he pick up the blitz and protect Cutler? Please someone fill me in on the mystery of Ryan Torrain. At this point, all we're talking about is hype for a guy that doesn't even have 1 NFL carry.....amazing.

Injury prone because he broke his elbow? Go read the other Torain thread and you will see why we THINK he will be good. We are not saying he will be but he has tremendous upside. I don't know how you can refute those facts. No one know if he will be good...no one is saying he will be. The general outlook is he has the opportunity to do good and become a great player. What else do you want?

And yes, there should be hype for this type of player. What else are you going to find in the WW this late in the season.

I just don't understand your agrument or reasons for doubting all the Torain hype.

Hey, if Clinton Portis is on your WW grab him 1st. Is that what you want us to say?

I just think its great fun to speculate on the guy because he does have great potential. Getting a #1 guy just in time for the playoffs at the cost of a WW pickup and bench spot....sounds like a great deal - I'd take that bet any day of the week. Add to the fact the history of Mike Shanahan's RB history and it makes for really good drama.

Why do you care if he is over hyped?

I suppose you were thinking of the future when you kept Hightower over Jones but I certainly wouldn't have played it that way. Something pretty crazy is going to have to happen for Hightower to be slotted top 20 next year and that's what he'd have to be to warrant a keeper spot.

How old is Edge, again? :wacko: There's a reason they call it gamblin'!

Injury prone because he broke his elbow? Go read the other Torain thread and you will see why we THINK he will be good. We are not saying he will be but he has tremendous upside. I don't know how you can refute those facts. No one know if he will be good...no one is saying he will be. The general outlook is he has the opportunity to do good and become a great player. What else do you want?

And yes, there should be hype for this type of player. What else are you going to find in the WW this late in the season.

I just don't understand your agrument or reasons for doubting all the Torain hype.

Hey, if Clinton Portis is on your WW grab him 1st. Is that what you want us to say?

Look pal, I've read the threads, have kept up on the growing Torrain bandwagon and recently jumped on. I'm just raising some valid questions. How did you conclude that I'm giving reasons for doubting the hype? Don't turn my reply into your own context. I'd like him to blow up just as much as anyone else. I have him on two rosters and would love to have a secret weapon down the stretch. But what are we all going off of here? Seeing is believing and I haven't seen anything yet except high praises of his potential. As far as being injury prone, I believe he got hurt and missed a year in college his sr. year. Not sure of that but believe I read it somewhere. Then he comes to the NFL and misses about 3 months....

Draw your own conclusions. It will be fun seeing how this plays out but right now it's all hopeful speculation.

So you are agreeing with everyone?

The hype is all based on hopeful speculation. I agree

At this point I don't know what to think. I'd like to just see the darn guy finally get on the field running for first downs and stop talking about his potential. And we're still two weeks away from that just being a possibility.

I am hoping that RT will be last years Ryan Grant. Period. He has the potential, he is coming back from an elbow injury not a knee. He is conditioned and the stage is set. I am sure that after teh bye he will not be "the man" but here is how I see it playing out.

If Torain shows himself, Hall is the odd man out and man he didn't do a thing for himself on Monday night with those fumbles. I see RT on 1st and 2nd downs, Young on 3rd downs and Pittman as a situational / goal line (AGH!) back.

Shanahan kept RT on the roster for a reason and with all of the hype surrounding RT's climb up the depth chart in training camp, I think this will turn out pretty good for the RT owners.

Thats my .02.

I am hoping that RT will be last years Ryan Grant. Period. He has the potential, he is coming back from an elbow injury not a knee. He is conditioned and the stage is set. I am sure that after teh bye he will not be "the man" but here is how I see it playing out.

If Torain shows himself, Hall is the odd man out and man he didn't do a thing for himself on Monday night with those fumbles. I see RT on 1st and 2nd downs, Young on 3rd downs and Pittman as a situational / goal line (AGH!) back.

Shanahan kept RT on the roster for a reason and with all of the hype surrounding RT's climb up the depth chart in training camp, I think this will turn out pretty good for the RT owners.

Thats my .02.

Nicely said.

Any we shall call him...Tony Mandarich, and for whats its worth I thought it a valid question to be asking. A simple but fair request for information about the ingredients of the kool-aid we've all obviously consumed since we're all reading yet another topic on the dude. I think he'll get the majority of the carries in an offense the tempts us all with the perfect combination of scheme, personel and ego-driven HC. I think those carries will come at a point of the fantasy season that is perfect for bust-out RBs to vault a team to their SB. I think the guy can cure cancer and make 20 minute brownies in 15 but it doesn't hurt every now and again to refresh my memory as to why, and if its really worth the wait.

And this was supposed to be a temporary and moderately entertaining conversation and as I read further down it turned into Dick Fuld testifying before congress. Seriously, whats with the hostility? Is a loved one overseas? Finances a mess? Mortgage Foreclosed? Work in automotive, real estate, finance, investing, manufacturing, distrubutions etc, etc whare people have a right to be on edge? Cause this is fantasy football and dude just asked a simple question, why. If there had never been a Ryan Leaf, Ki-jana Carter, curtis enis...well most Penn State rbs, Andre Ware, Lawrence Phillips, shuler, bosworth, clarette and on and on and he asked why the hype, I'd say sorry for interupting the inquisition. Resume the beatings. But you gotta admit, its a valid point.

Edited by Qball86

Any we shall call him...Tony Mandarich, and for whats its worth I thought it a valid question to be asking. A simple but fair request for information about the ingredients of the kool-aid we've all obviously consumed since we're all reading yet another topic on the dude. I think he'll get the majority of the carries in an offense the tempts us all with the perfect combination of scheme, personel and ego-driven HC. I think those carries will come at a point of the fantasy season that is perfect for bust-out RBs to vault a team to their SB. I think the guy can cure cancer and make 20 minute brownies in 15 but it doesn't hurt every now and again to refresh my memory as to why, and if its really worth the wait.

And this was supposed to be a temporary and moderately entertaining conversation and as I read further down it turned into Dick Fuld testifying before congress. Seriously, whats with the hostility? Is a loved one overseas? Finances a mess? Mortgage Foreclosed? Work in automotive, real estate, finance, investing, manufacturing, distrubutions etc, etc whare people have a right to be on edge? Cause this is fantasy football and dude just asked a simple question, why. If there had never been a Ryan Leaf, Ki-jana Carter, curtis enis...well most Penn State rbs, Andre Ware, Lawrence Phillips, shuler, bosworth, clarette and on and on and he asked why the hype, I'd say sorry for interupting the inquisition. Resume the beatings. But you gotta admit, its a valid point.

Amen! You could be my agent or lawyer any day of the week.....at a reduced rate of course. :wacko:

(Rotoworld) Broncos beat writer Mike Klis believes rookie RB Ryan Torain (elbow) will receive his first NFL carries in relief of Michael Pittman in Week 9.

Analysis: After missing the entire preseason and all regular seven games, Klis doesn't expect Torain to play much right off the bat. His late-season role will likely depend on how much of an impression he makes with the carries he does receive. Torain makes for a nice stash for those who can afford the roster space.

As suspected...this is an opinion just like all of ours

As suspected...this is an opinion just like all of ours

I resent that, as should almost all Huddlers. An opinion on sports by Klis is hardly "just like all of ours". If Klis were an O coordinaator in the NFL, the other team could leave the field completely and it would take his team 5 to 6 plays to score.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I resent that, as should almost all Huddlers. An opinion on sports by Klis is hardly "just like all of ours". If Klis were an O coordinaator in the NFL, the other team could leave the field completely and it would take his team 5 to 6 plays to score.

Sorry, I was AN opinion.

I grabbed him just on the chance he may be something decent near seasons end.I dropped Chris Perry to do it so no big loss if nothing comes of it.I definitely am not pinning my title hopes on him.I have a solid team that is a little weak at the #2 RB spot so I thought he may be worth it.