[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need commish help

fingfootball

Yesterday a member of my fantasy league was killed in a car accident. I have had calls from the other members of the league about what we are going to do. Right now I just want to call the league off for the season, but that is probably not fair to the other members. We are supposed to get together tomorrow night for our supplemental draft, and I am trying to decide what to do. Right now I have two ideas...

1. Refund everybody's money and start over next year.

2. Since he was not in my division and I have already played him this year, I would take over his team and donate any winnings to his widow.

Either way I am going to give his entry fee back to his wife, and if we do continue to play adjust the winnings. I am just sick about this, and I am not thinking clearly at all. What do you all think that I should do?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday a member of my fantasy league was killed in a car accident. I have had calls from the other members of the league about what we are going to do. Right now I just want to call the league off for the season, but that is probably not fair to the other members. We are supposed to get together tomorrow night for our supplemental draft, and I am trying to decide what to do. Right now I have two ideas...

1. Refund everybody's money and start over next year.

2. Since he was not in my division and I have already played him this year, I would take over his team and donate any winnings to his widow.

Either way I am going to give his entry fee back to his wife, and if we do continue to play adjust the winnings. I am just sick about this, and I am not thinking clearly at all. What do you all think that I should do?

Wow - tough deal. Sorry to hear this.

Option 2 though is the direction to go as well as winnings to widow and return of entry fee to widow. It may be hard to hear right now, but life does and must carry on. Option 2 allows for this and pays the proper respect to all involved.

that's awful. i'd play the league out and donate all the money to his widow's favorite charity (or if you think his widow needs money, maybe just give it to her)

I agree with this. Play out the year and donate all the money to a college fund for the guy's kids in the name of the league's winner. The rest of the league is playing for a trophy this year, not the cash.

I don't think your deceased owner would expect or want you to call it quits. If the league is agreeable it seems like it would be a nice gesture to play out the year and present a check to the widow at the end of the year in memory of your friend. You could even make up a plaque in memory of your friend and make it the league trophy that you play for this year and pass from winner to winner in years to come (along with any winnings).

I don't think your deceased owner would expect or want you to call it quits. If the league is agreeable it seems like it would be a nice gesture to play out the year and present a check to the widow at the end of the year in memory of your friend. You could even make up a plaque in memory of your friend and make it the league trophy that you play for this year and pass from winner to winner in years to come (along with any winnings).

Nice touch, name the championship trophy after him for as long as the league exists.

If you need someone to take over his team I'd be glad to help, with the wininngs (if any) of course going to the widow. Owning 2 teams will somehow be a confilct of interest that should be avoided if possible.

Terribly sorry to hear about this. :wacko:

I agree with this. Play out the year and donate all the money to a college fund for the guy's kids in the name of the league's winner. The rest of the league is playing for a trophy this year, not the cash.

I know this sounds incredibly cold-hearted, but I personally would have a hard time forfeiting my potential winnings. It sounds good, but I do not think this is the way to go. It's a terrible loss for sure, but just because you play in a fantasy football league with the guy, does not, IMO, mean you should have to be out of pocket as a result of the situation.

Like I said, call me cold hearted if you want, but I think the reality of the situation is that people are real tight with their money so I think it's unwise to offer up the league pot.

If the league as a whole voted it this way, so be it, but if there were even one nay vote, that would be all it would take to negate the thought.

The trophy idea - no problem.

Just seems real easy to offer up other people's money on a message board.

I know this sounds incredibly cold-hearted, but I personally would have a hard time forfeiting my potential winnings.

So, one year, in one fantasy league, donating something to one of your buddies wives who will have to live the rest of her life alone, and you have a problem with that? Nice. Real nice.

So, one year, in one fantasy league, donating something to one of your buddies wives who will have to live the rest of her life alone, and you have a problem with that? Nice. Real nice.

Whatever dude.

If i were going to win a grand, for sure I would. $50? No problem.

And... for the guys in my league, I like 'em ok, but no, I wouldn't care to donate any winnings.

Edited by Cunning Runt

I know this sounds incredibly cold-hearted, but I personally would have a hard time forfeiting my potential winnings. It sounds good, but I do not think this is the way to go. It's a terrible loss for sure, but just because you play in a fantasy football league with the guy, does not, IMO, mean you should have to be out of pocket as a result of the situation.

Like I said, call me cold hearted if you want, but I think the reality of the situation is that people are real tight with their money so I think it's unwise to offer up the league pot.

If the league as a whole voted it this way, so be it, but if there were even one nay vote, that would be all it would take to negate the thought.

The trophy idea - no problem.

Just seems real easy to offer up other people's money on a message board.

You? Cold-hearted? Nah. Heart-less, OK I'll buy that.

You? Cold-hearted? Nah. Heart-less, OK I'll buy that.

As I said - I think it's real easy to offer up other people's money on an anonymous message board.

I'll say it again though. There is not a chance in hell if I were in line to win several hundred dollars in my fantasy football league that I would donate it simply because I happened to play fantasy football with someone who had died unexpectedly.

As I said - I think it's real easy to offer up other people's money on an anonymous message board.

I'll say it again though. There is not a chance in hell if I were in line to win several hundred dollars in my fantasy football league that I would donate it simply because I happened to play fantasy football with someone who had died unexpectedly.

And this thread is not the place for yet another pi$$ing match with the likes of you. Just wish a knee injury on me and fish elsewhere.

If you need someone to take over his team I'd be glad to help, with the wininngs (if any) of course going to the widow. Owning 2 teams will somehow be a confilct of interest that should be avoided if possible.

Terribly sorry to hear about this. :wacko:

I may take you up on this. I will run it by the league tomorrow. Thank You.

As for giving all the money to the widow, I would be for giving any of my winnings to her. But as for anyone else, shouldnt it be their own decision? A commish should not be able to make money decisions like that, should they?

I may take you up on this. I will run it by the league tomorrow. Thank You.

As for giving all the money to the widow, I would be for giving any of my winnings to her. But as for anyone else, shouldnt it be their own decision? A commish should not be able to make money decisions like that, should they?

It would obviously have to be a vote, but in a local where everyone knows everyone I would expect it to be approved easily. Unless CR's in your league then it's 11-1.

I lost my brother (in law), which I really considered my brother, to a heart attack one month before the 2007 season started. He loved fantasy football so much and at times, it was all he had. He was the heart and soul of two leagues that I play in. We had already been having major discussions about the upcoming season, and then boom, he was gone. In the league that I commish, we dedicated the season to him and named the trophy after him. It wasn't hard to find a replacement for his teams. The person who took over his teams kept his team names and took both of them to championships. The last thing he would have wanted would have been to call the season off. He was very special to everyone in the league. We are now going on our second year without him but we all remember him every time we log on to the site. Granted, we didn't lose him during he season, but as a commish I would have found a replacement owner that was special to him had we lost him mid-season.

Keep the season rolling and dedicate every last moment to him. Sorry for your loss. I sort of know how you feel.

We had a death our league this year as well. My mother..a fierce fantasy football competitor and 2 time in 6 years FF Super Bowl Champ passed away tfrom cancer this summer. She and my brother had been playing FF in the same league for 14 years! Anyway, when faced with what to do with her team, we decided that I would take it over. No one could bear to NOT have her team in the league. They also re-named the league after her, and it has been an honor to carry on the tradition of FF in my household. She wouldnt have wanted it any other way. Although it is hard each week for my brother and I, its important to keep her memory alive...even if its FF! For my mother, it was a great distraction, and was so much FUN for her when she was going through treatments. It may just be FF, but I am forever grateful for it.

If your league is anything like the league I am in, its like a family almost. LOL...cult like actually!!! You are doing the right thing by keeping his team going, and donating the winnings to the widow. If it was something he enjoyed, it should continue. Go with your instinct, its headed in the right direction =) It also may help you guys cope with the loss.

Good Luck.

I'm actually kinda surprised I havn't heard about more deaths or tragedies involving FF league mates. When I first joined this site, you guys were all honoring Rich (aka Aqualung) and it touched me to see so many of you express your fondness for the man. Even though we are anonymous posters, I have had the pleasure and honor of meeting a few FF adversaries over the years and I can say this, no matter how much we scream, yell, curse, razz each other on these boards, nothing prepares you for that person to person encounter. And when they are suddenly gone, I often wonder what has become of them. Did they die? Are they in a comma? Did they give up the game? There are always 4-5 guys each year I enjoy reading that just disappear without a trace and I often wonder what kind of person they really are in person.. The guys I have met couldn't be more different in real life vs. the boards. With that being said, my thoughts and prayers go out to the widow of your friend. I find it extremely admirable of you to come to the boards and ask advice. There are some very good suggestions put forth so far.....good luck to you and your league from here on out.

First off, I agree with donating the winnings to his family assuming 1) everyone in the league are at least somewhat close friends (and FWIW, I wouldn't have any trouble with it anyway but could see how others might) and 2) That dude wasn't loaded and a few hundred bucks/grand wouldn't matter anyway.

For CR and any of those who want to be heartless about it. Keep in mind that if the winner gifts the money, I believe he can write it off. Further, all but one guy in the league were going to walk away with nothing anyway, so you need to not think of the grand or so that you're "losing" but rather the entry fee. More importantly, between this and you're bit about rooting for injuries, you really need to put some things in perspective.

Again, assuming that this is a somewhat close nit group of friends, I agree with the notions of the memorial trophy, etc.

Sorry for the loss of your friend. :wacko:

Renaming the league and/or the trophy after him is a great idea.

But as far as donating all league winnings to the widow, I don't know...as much as I hate to say it, I sort of agree with CR on this. A lot of you are quick to give away someone elses money. Pretty quick to call them heartless. But are you aware of everyones situation in all your leagues and how it would affect them if they had to give away their winnings?

I personally would vote yes if I were involved. But should everyone else in the league be forced to go that route? Is everyone else in the league financially stable? What if someone is having hard times financially lately and were able to win the league, and those winnings would end up helping them and their family a great deal? Should they be forced to turn this much needed money over? Some have suggested put it to a vote. So...does that person end up being the one person in a 10-1 vote? Thus probably getting chastised just as CR is in this thread? Maybe they wanted to keep their troubles private, now they have to explain why they are unable to give away their money?

Sorry, I can't get behind volunteering to give up someone elses money. Feel free to give up yours, but don't force anyone else into giving up theirs.

Edited by BillyBalata