[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need commish help

fingfootball

I have/had no issue with your first post.

I questioned your second post, you took it personally, it spiraled from there.

My 2nd post was to point out that not everyone may think it's ok to pony up league money, despite the tragedy. I thought I worded it ok, but you cut n' pasted an excerpt of your choosing designed to cast me in a negative light. And it pissed me off.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hugh's and Grits' sugg is a good one. As tazi pointed out, we lost a very valuable/loved member this year and I think the Huddle did for him proud.

Your league has a chance to do the same. Sorry your loss of a friend, F.

Edited by rocknrobn26

And if you read, I said it should be a vote also. And Billy, if the money you would win in FF would bring your family out of some financial hardship, then why the HELL are you playing FF to begin with.

ah...see I knew someone would ask that. :wacko: Perhaps in August I had plenty of money to participate in a league I have been in for a long time. But come several months later, my life may have changed. Things are happening in our world these days and many peoples financial situations have changed since August. See...things aren't always cut and dried, black and white as you'd like to see them.

Bottom line, you do what you want with your money, everyone else should be able to do with theirs what they want. They shouldn't be pressured one way or the other, directly, or indirectly.

ah...see I knew someone would ask that. :wacko: Perhaps in August I had plenty of money to participate in a league I have been in for a long time. But come several months later, my life may have changed. Things are happening in our world these days and many peoples financial situations have changed since August. See...things aren't always cut and dried, black and white as you'd like to see them.

Bottom line, you do what you want with your money, everyone else should be able to do with theirs what they want. They shouldn't be pressured one way or the other, directly, or indirectly.

So who's "life" changed more? Your 401k took a hit, she lost her husband. If your financial situation has changed so dramatically that this amount of money would make a difference, the league should refund your money so you can feed your kids.

So sorry about your loss. :wacko:

As for the league, I would do this:

1. Find a replacement owner. Explain the situation and that any winnings go to the widow. Any one of us here (Hugh and many others) would volunteer to help out.

That is all you need to do. Any other issues can be taken care of in the offseason. (Trophies, Naming of the league, etc.)

Sorry for your loss. My suggestion would be as already said, to rename the league or make a trophy of some sort. However, instead of making a possible issue with winnings, and I do not know anyones financial situations, but what if for the following years the league entry was upped enough(even this year if all agree) to be just enough to by flowers for the grave site? Pretty much a low fee, and the gesture alone is worth every bit as wanting to donate money. Follow it up with a card to the widow, signed by everyone, saying how much they miss him. If I was the widow, this would mean far more to me than having someone donate money. It;s the thought that counts but getting flowers/card is something a bit more sentimental, personal , especially from a close group of league mates.

Something says right now the money would be immaterial, let alone possible league with bad feelings compared to something she can keep, read again later, and realize what her husband meant to his friends. Just my 2 cents. Again, sorry for the loss.

So who's "life" changed more? Your 401k took a hit, she lost her husband. If your financial situation has changed so dramatically that this amount of money would make a difference, the league should refund your money so you can feed your kids.

dude....i just used one possible example of why it may not be fair for anyone to volunteer other peoples money. If you can't see that...then you're as big an ass as CR.

To the original poster, Fingfootball...again I offer my condolences to you and your league mates for the loss of your friend. Also please accept my apologies for any input I may have had for turning this thread into what it's become.

dude....i just used one possible example of why it may not be fair for anyone to volunteer other peoples money. If you can't see that...then you're as big an ass as CR.

To the original poster, Fingfootball...again I offer my condolences to you and your league mates for the loss of your friend. Also please accept my apologies for any input I may have had for turning this thread into what it's become.

Excuse me?

Where exactly do you get off calling me an ass?

Man - I have really tried to stay on point, but when people continue to take shots at me, I'm gonna answer them .

What exactly have I said in this entire thread that is so "ass-ish". I said there's no chance in hell I would donate potentially several hundred dollars and have otherwise defended myself from childish personal attacks and I'm an ass? Gimme a break. Seriously. Y'all need to re-read everything that's been posted thus far.

Edited by Cunning Runt

Again, Billy, I never advocated volunteering anyone else's money and said it should be a league vote. I just said it should be a public vote and if you vote no, you should have to man up and explain why. That certainly leaves room for extenuating circumstances, I just can't think of any that I think would be a good excuse. Your example was not, IMO, and that's all I said.

Excuse me?

Where exactly do you get off calling me an ass?

Man - I have really tried to stay on point, but when people continue to take shots at me, I'm gonna answer them .

What exactly have I said in this entire thread that is so "ass-ish". I said there's no chance in hell I would donate potentially several hundred dollars and have otherwise defended myself from childish personal attacks and I'm an ass? Gimme a break. Seriously. Y'all need to re-read everything that's been posted thus far.

:wacko: Most of us have read everything you've posted for years . . .

Dude,

I agree. But direct your "time or place" comments to those who feel compelled to keep things going.

LOL at you trying to play the victim. You can't stomp around here all badass and flexing your internet muscles on a daily basis then expect sympathy, it doesn't work that way.

Look, I have no problem with you, I think you actually offer good insight on occasion and your less than popular stance on certain issues can be refreshing around here at times. That being said, you're coming across as uncaring and insensitive, even if you don't want to believe it, and that will draw a reaction regardless of the topic.

Anywho, I think it's time to move on here, as the horse has been beaten and is long dead.

Dude,

Take this somewhere else. This is not the time or the place.

Agree....but also w/ the others to take it away from this post. .

This is a sad situation that a Huddler wanted help to resolve. Let us all respect F', his demise, and get BACK on point and put aside our arguments.

DAM...............A man died! A fellow FF player died! A friend of a Huddler died and he needs support!

Please lets get back on point and help. Keep the pissing matches out of here. Help a Huddler....that's all!

All comments accepted, positive or negative, but comments on comments (when negative) resolve nothing!

Leave it lay. Respect the post.

I'm done. Beat me up, I don't care. It's how I feel.

This is a sad situation that a Huddler wanted help to resolve. Let us all respect F', his demise, and get BACK on point and put aside our arguments.

DAM...............A man died! A fellow FF player died! A friend of a Huddler died and he needs support!

Please lets get back on point and help. Keep the pissing matches out of here. Help a Huddler....that's all!

All comments accepted, positive or negative, but comments on comments (when negative) resolve nothing!

I love you man. :wacko:

Agreed and thank you for being the voice of reason.

Thank you all for your advice in this matter. I am guessing that all points made will probably be brought up tomorrow night by my league. I probably wont bring up the money to be donated other than giving the hint by saying that if I place my winnings will be given to the widow. And thank you to those that offered to take on his team, I will have to see what the league wants to do in this matter. The biggest problem is that this league is not done on computer, each team calls their lineup to me on Sunday morning and I compute scores by hand and post them in a local bar. With no waiver wire all trades are done one on one and I dont know how this could be done by long distance.

Anyway, again I appreciate all responses, they all brought attention to how others might feel about the situation, and better prepare me for tomorrow.

I will update on how things go tomorrow night.

Thank you all for your advice in this matter. I am guessing that all points made will probably be brought up tomorrow night by my league. I probably wont bring up the money to be donated other than giving the hint by saying that if I place my winnings will be given to the widow. And thank you to those that offered to take on his team, I will have to see what the league wants to do in this matter. The biggest problem is that this league is not done on computer, each team calls their lineup to me on Sunday morning and I compute scores by hand and post them in a local bar. With no waiver wire all trades are done one on one and I dont know how this could be done by long distance.

Anyway, again I appreciate all responses, they all brought attention to how others might feel about the situation, and better prepare me for tomorrow.

Please do and good luck however it turns out.

I am curious though - how close was the guy that died to everyone in the league? I think that it does have a bearing on what course of action is ultimately followed.

If Hugh one decides to not take over the team put me on as a second option. I will give all winnings to the widow and if she is going to be significantly hurt financially by this unfortunate incident I will make a personal donation to her and her family. It's remarkable to me how some people, given the option, would choose to not step up and help someone in need? Friend or not we're here to do the "right" thing. We're here to impact others lives. I would like to think that my legacy will be that I made a difference in other's lives while I was here. What else is there?

Edited by theprofessor

This is tragic and does put in perspective that there is more to llife than playng fantasy football. Personally, I would give all the proceeds to the spouse/children/charity but that needs to be agreed upon by the league. I have no idea of the financial commitmment made to play in the league but there is more to life than money. I can say I would give the money away, but I can live without it. To each their own. Good luck and I hope your fellow owners are as compassionate.

I am curious though - how close was the guy that died to everyone in the league? I think that it does have a bearing on what course of action is ultimately followed.

All of these guys are people that hung out in a bar that I owned. They range in age from 25 to 65, so some guys are closer friends than others. Jessie was one of the younger guys and I would say that at least half of the league is around his age and hung out together.

You may want to set the lineup this week, but then soon talk to the widow and see if she would like to take over the team?!?! Maybe she's not into football or fantasy football at all, but maybe, just maybe, she would be inspired to fill in because it was something that her late husband was into??? I bet if she fills in, she kicks everyone's ass & takes home the trophy.

If she's not down with it, then I'd ask her if he had any close friends who would be honored to manage the team & be part of the league. Maybe that would be special to one of his friends to be able to do that.

If neither of those pan out, then have someone on the messageboard fill in.