[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Coaching Carousal 2008-2009

kpholmes

:wacko: From what I understand the organization loves Singletary and has wanted to give him this opportunity for a few years now.

No doubt. All depends on what he does with the team the rest of the year. Besides, they can't contact Holmgren right now. But you got to think they'd like to bring in a previous employee that's taken two different teams to the Super Bowl.

No doubt. All depends on what he does with the team the rest of the year. Besides, they can't contact Holmgren right now. But you got to think they'd like to bring in a previous employee that's taken two different teams to the Super Bowl.

But then again:

HOLMGREN NOT BOUND FOR THE BAY AREA

Posted by Josh Alper on October 22, 2008, 3:16 p.m.

Given the Seahawks record this season, it’s a bit of a surprise that people are clamoring for Mike Holmgren to come and save their football team. A perusal of this week’s San Francisco-area dailies, though, would have you believing he’s the only man who could turn the 49ers into a winner.

Ann Killion, San Jose Mercury News: “Here’s what I’d like to see the Yorks do: Hire Mike Holmgren as the general manager.”

Lowell Cohn, Santa Rosa Press Democrat: “I suggest Mike Holmgren who is leaving the Seahawks after this season and no longer wants to coach.”

Cam Inman, Contra Costa Times: “Ideally, they bring in Mike Holmgren to either coach or oversee the football operations (a la Bill Parcells’ role with the Miami Dolphins).”

It makes sense on some levels. Holmgren is building a house in Santa Cruz, worked with Scot McCloughan in Seattle and has ties to the organization. He’s said, more than once, that he plans on taking at least the next year off to spend time with his family. Now, Adam Schefter’s chiming in with a source that says, short of an ownership stake in the Niners, Holmgren’s mind is going to be hard to change.

“Under no circumstance could I see him doing that — zero, none,” the source said. “It would be absolutely shocking to me. It would be extraordinarily difficult for (Holmgren) to ever entertain that idea.”

So, for 2009 at least, it sounds like no Holmgren in the Bay Area.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump to add Fassel to Raider rumors.

Link

From ESPN

In letter to Davis, Fassel says he wants to coach Raiders

Jim Fassel has stepped up his campaign to become an NFL head coach again in the most interesting of ways.

A team source tells ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen that Fassel recently sent a handwritten letter to Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis, expressing his respect and admiration for Davis and his desire to coach the embattled franchise.

Fassel last worked in the league as offensive coordinator of the Baltimore Ravens from 2003 until his dismissal midway through the 2006 season. He was head coach of the New York Giants from 1997 until the team fired him after the 2003 season.

Fassel was 60-56-1 in seven seasons with the Giants and led the club to a Super Bowl XXXV appearance against Baltimore. He had two interviews with the Washington Redskins last offseason before owner Daniel Snyder ultimately decided to hire Jim Zorn as his coach.

Lane Kiffin was fired by Davis on Sept. 30 after Oakland started 1-3, with the job going to offensive line coach Tom Cable on an interim basis. The Raiders are 1-4 under Cable. Kiffin, meanwhile, has filed a grievance against Davis in an attempt to collect the remaining money on his contract.

The upheaval within the coaching staff has yet to abate. Davis, it turns out, stripped offensive coordinator Greg Knapp of play-calling duties, a source told Mortensen. Cable said last week that he relieved Knapp of his duties before a Week 10 loss to the Carolina Panthers and would remain in that role for the rest of the season.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Stanford Head Coach Jim Harbaugh has been rumored for the job as well, but today announced he is working on an extension with Stanford.

Bump to add Fassel to Raider rumors.

Link

From ESPN

Stanford Head Coach Jim Harbaugh has been rumored for the job as well, but today announced he is working on an extension with Stanford.

Good rumor but I think both are too smart to get on that sinking ship.

Al is gonna end up with someone desperate to be a head coach in the NFL (like J. Lofton) or some retread who was never very good (maybe Wade Phillips will be available)

:wacko: Normally I'd agree here, but for some reason Fassel is asking for the job. Maybe just to make headlines and get his name out for other coaching positions?

I saw your other post after that. :D

Maybe,I just can't see why any legit coach would want to deal with Al.

Technically not an interim, his title is "Head Coach" though in order to not run afoul of the "Rooney Rule," his contract must expire at the end of the season and the Rams will technically have to interview a minority candidate before they offer him the renewal that they are rumored to have already negotiated.

Probably 90% chance the job is his, especially in light of two victories and a dramatic clubhouse turnaround.

I officially retract this statement. Move along, nothing to see here.

Edited by STL Fan

• 1 month later...

Just reported on NFL Network that Mike Shanahan was fired by the Broncos.

E2A link: Broncos fire Shanahan

Broncos fire longtime coach Shanahan

Posted: Adam Schefter

The blockbuster of the coaching season just came in: The Denver Broncos fired Mike Shanahan.

Shanahan had three years and upwards of $20 million remaining on his contract.

Shanahan, who just completed his 14th season at the helm of the Broncos, was the longest tenured coach in franchise history. He also held the title of executive vice president of football operations.

The two-time Super Bowl-winning coach guided the Broncos to nine winning seasons, seven playoff berths and three conference championships. The Broncos finished 8-8 this season, missing the playoffs for the third consecutive season.

Edited by Gunther