[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Basil Pesto

peteteacher2001

Guys, I just got a sh!tload of sweet basil from a buddy of mine. I need suggestions on pesto recipes, how to store it long term, and any other suggestions for it.

I am using some for salmon this weekend but there is just too much of this stuff to use before it goes bad!

thanks in advance,

Pete

well...... i have done quite a few pestos (arugala, cilantro, etc)... for basil pesto, you can play with the type of nut and cheese used.

here is a pretty standard pesto:

4 c packed fresh basil leaves

1/2 c pine nuts, toasted until golden, allow to cool

1/2 c grated Parmesan

2 large garlic cloves, minced

1/4 c plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

in a food processor puree basil with remaining ingredients until smooth and season with salt and pepper. pesto may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, its surface covered with plastic wrap.

pesto freezes just fine.

another thing you could do is make some basil oil whch lasts a while.....

1/2 c basil leaves

1/2 spinach leaves

1/4 c parsley leaves

1/4 extra virgin olive oil

1 cup grapeseed oil

salt to taste

to make an oil with the brightest green result, blanch the basil, spinach, and parsley in boiling salted water for 45 seconds, then drain, immediately shock in ice water (this sets the color), and drain again. squeeze to extract any excess water, then chop the greens coarsely. in a blender, combine the chopped greens and olive and canola oils and process for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the mixture is bright green. pour into a container with a tight-fitting lid, cover, and refrigerate for 1 day.

the next day, strain the oil through a fine sieve and discard the solids. Return to the container and refrigerate for 1 day, then decant.

When storing leftover pesto, put it in a jar with as small an opening as possible. Exposed surface area = oxygenation = browning. I like to put it in something shaped like a tall olive jar, pack it in tight and then cover the top with a layer of olive oil, then seal tight.

Bier has about the same ingredients that I use... to change it up at times, I use walnuts and at times add some Siriachi sauce or ground red pepper for some added heat. I will also freeze the leaves in water to add to sauces at a later date...

Guys, I just got a sh!tload of sweet basil from a buddy of mine. I need suggestions on pesto recipes, how to store it long term, and any other suggestions for it.

I am using some for salmon this weekend but there is just too much of this stuff to use before it goes bad!

thanks in advance,

Pete

I grow 20-30 basil plants per year, end of season I make pesto and freeze for the family to enjoy through the winter....

2-3 cups of packed fresh basil leaves

1/4 cup of walnuts

1/2 c grated Parmesan

1/4 cup of Ramano

5 garlic cloves (my family is big into garlic!)

dash of Salt

More pepper than salt

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Add all to a food processor but the oil, blend - then add the oil.

We always take ice-cube trays (spray with pam) and fill with Pesto, freeze and then plop the cubes in a baggie. Use them whenever you make red sauce :-) yum.

If when you are bioling water for pasta you can place a screen over the pot (bacon greese catcher) and place the frozen pesto bag on it, easy way to defrost the frozen pesto...

I grow 20-30 basil plants per year, end of season I make pesto and freeze for the family to enjoy through the winter....

2-3 cups of packed fresh basil leaves

1/4 cup of walnuts

1/2 c grated Parmesan

1/4 cup of Ramano

5 garlic cloves (my family is big into garlic!)

dash of Salt

More pepper than salt

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Add all to a food processor but the oil, blend - then add the oil.

We always take ice-cube trays (spray with pam) and fill with Pesto, freeze and then plop the cubes in a baggie. Use them whenever you make red sauce :-) yum.

If when you are bioling water for pasta you can place a screen over the pot (bacon greese catcher) and place the frozen pesto bag on it, easy way to defrost the frozen pesto...

Many questions on this.... Sorry guys : )

So you can add the cheese and then freeze? I have heard not to until you thaw. Also, would toasted almonds do the same trick as well? I am not a big walnut fan and pine nuts are not readily available here in the sticks unless you wanna give an arm and a leg. How many cubes do you use for your red sauce? Do I have to use the two cheeses or can I just use fresh Parmasan?

Thanks guys, sorry for being such a dolt about these things but I really don't wanna spend a ton of time for something that doesn't turn out delectible!

Thanks again

Pete

macs, pistashios, hazelnuts, almonds, pecans, sunflower seeds

you are fine with parm.... in general, i tend to sub pecorino for parm when given the chance.... i just had a great hard cheese (was one with lemon rind) that would have been great in pesto...can't remember the name. i'll look into it.

When storing leftover pesto, put it in a jar with as small an opening as possible. Exposed surface area = oxygenation = browning. I like to put it in something shaped like a tall olive jar, pack it in tight and then cover the top with a layer of olive oil, then seal tight.

+1

I make a couple of batches a year and just have a bunch of small jars and containers I store it in - as long as I don't open them up, tehy seem to keep a long time. Once I do use some, I just pour more EVO on top to seal it back up.

Good stuff!

TURNED OUT GREAT GUYS!!!!! Thanks for all the advice. I have some in ice cube trays and some in jars to give to a few folks in the family. Really really good!!!!! Now the fun part is finding all kinds of stuff to put it on or cook with it!

I love this forum! I think this will be the fifteenth recipe that I can in full confidence add to my book that I have gotten from here.

:D

I must clarify the fifteenth I have asked about. I didn't mention those in threads is have never responded to. Trust me Bier, I pretty much have "The Huddle Food Forum Cookbook" going at this point. :wacko: Don't worry, you'll get mentioned in the forward :D