[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brady career in jeopardy?

LayLow

profootballtalk reported this over a week ago....but because many dismiss it as a gossip site it when largely unnoticed....

the fear is that another infection could pop up at anytime if the screws used to keep the acl in place get contaminated.....the reason they say it may be career threatning is if it pops up later....theyll have to redo this again...and it could even cost him 2010.....yer talking about being out of football for 3 years

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's BULLSHIT!

I got an infection after my ACL recon and the doctor, as he's wheeling me into surgery to clean it out, says, "Depending up on the severity of the infection, I may have to amputate."

WTF?

I did a little digging and the reason why infections are "rare" is cuz THEY ARE NOT REPORTED!

There's an on-going investigation into infections at Denver hospitals, particulary the one I went to (St. Joe's).

Are these doctors mud wrestling the nurses before surgery?

Gotta agree with Opie here.....infections contracted while in the hospital are NOT rare. Happens about 25% of the time. After my mother contracted shingles after surgery, I did a lot of research on it before my Dad went in for his first hip replacement. And it IS under reported.

One study in 2004 for one state showed the number of infections reported by hospitals to be one-tenth of what was actually billed by the hospital as treating an infection contacted in the hospital. A significant number of these were urinary infections of patients with catheters and pneumonia contracted by patients on ventilators.....surgical site infections DID appear to be the lowest by percentage. But they aren't rare by any means.

I don't know the breakdown of the chance of them happening at the surgical site during surgery VS other types of infections caught simply while in the hospital itself by transfer (ie. equipment or someone touching you who is infected or coughing on you, etc.), but I think a 1 in 4 chance of ANY infection is pretty significant. :wacko:

This is a HUGH setback for Brady......I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

I am not a doctor but from what i heard earlier from mark schlereth (who i trust since he used to play and went through surgeries) leads me to believe this is not bs.

I can confirm it is not BS but I can also categorically state that MRSA (the so-called Superbug) can be treated. It is not the invincible microbe the press would have us panic over.

And Bunz is dead right, staph infection in hospitals is absolutely rampant. MRSA is just one particularly virulent and resistant form of staph - there are many others.

Gotta agree with Opie here.....infections contracted while in the hospital are NOT rare. Happens about 25% of the time. After my mother contracted shingles after surgery, I did a lot of research on it before my Dad went in for his first hip replacement. And it IS under reported.

One study in 2004 for one state showed the number of infections reported by hospitals to be one-tenth of what was actually billed by the hospital as treating an infection contacted in the hospital. A significant number of these were urinary infections of patients with catheters and pneumonia contracted by patients on ventilators.....surgical site infections DID appear to be the lowest by percentage. But they aren't rare by any means.

I don't know the breakdown of the chance of them happening at the surgical site during surgery VS other types of infections caught simply while in the hospital itself by transfer (ie. equipment or someone touching you who is infected or coughing on you, etc.), but I think a 1 in 4 chance of ANY infection is pretty significant. :wacko:

This is a HUGH setback for Brady......I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

i had a procedure done to remove a pyogenic ganuloma (they removed a 10mm plug from my abdomen) and after a week was worried about how it looked...i went back and the culture showed it to be staph(didnt ask which strain)....the funny(not really funny) part is that I was on an Antibiotic(Keflex) for an infected ingrown finger nail....when the culture came back it showed that my strain was resistant to Keflex so now I am on a 7 day run of Cipro

and as much as I dislike Brady I wouldnt wish this on him or anyone else

the problem(s) with an infection in the bone is,

a. antibiotics have a much more difficult time making it to the source of the infection

read, bone density and requires an anitbiotic drip in most cases

b. could mean the screws (into the bone) may need to be removed and replaced

in another section of the bone very near the exisitng entry point.

all of this is speculation at this point as the infection may respond to the antibiotics.

the rumour mill here is that the Patriots are "upset" that Brady didn't have the operation

done on the east coast, with doctors they would have prefered....but instead Brady picked

a doctor he was comfortable with and knew on the west coast (read media hype, aka Curt Schilling on this one)

profootballtalk reported this over a week ago....but because many dismiss it as a gossip site it when largely unnoticed....

the fear is that another infection could pop up at anytime if the screws used to keep the acl in place get contaminated.....the reason they say it may be career threatning is if it pops up later....theyll have to redo this again...and it could even cost him 2010.....yer talking about being out of football for 3 years

That is the biggest bunch of baloney I have ever read. Once the infection is gone, it's gone. It's the getting rid of it part that is important.

The screws, provided they even used them as mine were dissolvable, would not be the problem. The problem would be if the graft was contaminated, which if it was his own patellar tendon (as reported) is unlikely. The infection is nosocomial, and it is likely known what organism is causing the problem. The IV antibiotic (likely vancomysin) should kill all the bacteria in his system. This method of administration makes the patient very weak, but is really the only option with this type of infection. He should recover from that just fine. The REAL problem arises with the grafft itself IF it has become infected with the bacteria since his surgery. This is very unlikely, since it takes 3-4 months for the new tissue to undergo vascularization, but is possible. In this case, after the infection has cleared, they will go in and replace the graft with a new one (likely a hamstring tendon graft). This would only set him back the time lost from the infection, and is no different from the original ACL reconstruction--since he has not yet begun the healing, vascularization, and lengthy rehab process.

I've heard that infections in knees are particularly troublesome to begin with, as there is not a lot of vascular tissue in the joint area. Due to that, blood borne antibiotics are not as effective in that area. My brother had ACL reconstruction, and I seem to remember something about the surgical team wearing sterile space suits to avoid infection. That's more caution that is normally used for other surgeries.

That is the biggest bunch of baloney I have ever read. Once the infection is gone, it's gone. It's the getting rid of it part that is important.

The screws, provided they even used them as mine were dissolvable, would not be the problem. The problem would be if the graft was contaminated, which if it was his own patellar tendon (as reported) is unlikely. The infection is nosocomial, and it is likely known what organism is causing the problem. The IV antibiotic (likely vancomysin) should kill all the bacteria in his system. This method of administration makes the patient very weak, but is really the only option with this type of infection. He should recover from that just fine. The REAL problem arises with the grafft itself IF it has become infected with the bacteria since his surgery. This is very unlikely, since it takes 3-4 months for the new tissue to undergo vascularization, but is possible. In this case, after the infection has cleared, they will go in and replace the graft with a new one (likely a hamstring tendon graft). This would only set him back the time lost from the infection, and is no different from the original ACL reconstruction--since he has not yet begun the healing, vascularization, and lengthy rehab process.

you are correct...i misread the information

Chris Mortensen of ESPN, who neither is a doctor nor stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, has consulted with other doctors regarding the news that Pats quarterback Tom Brady developed an infection in his reconstructed knee.

The problem, as Mort explains it, is that the bacteria causing the infection could taint the hardware used to replace Brady’s ACL, ultimately requiring the hardware to be removed and a new replacement ACL installed.

Basically, the doctor’s would perform a Mulligan restructuring.

At this point, it’s unknown whether Brady would need a second full-blown ACL replacement. If he does, the sooner that they do it, the more likely he’ll be able to return in 2009.

Edited by forever in debt to mo lewis

This is fascinating. A family member of mine was in the hopsital for surgery last week and outside every room and inside every room was a cannister of hand sanitizer and no one ever entered or left without spritzing their hands with the stuff. And one of the nurses said there are people in the hospital whose entire jobs are walking around and making sure that everyone constantly cleans their hands. It was freaky how big they were on constantly nuking their hands with this spray foam stuff.

I seriously doubt that Brady's career is in jeopardy, though. I don't know where that came from.

I think the Boston Media is making it more of a story than it really is.

When all is said and done, I don't think Brady's career is in immediate jeopardy either, however the infection is by no means not a serious matter either. I don't think it's been mentioned, but a similar staph infection cost Kenny George part of a foot. It's something to be concerned about and it has the potential to be very serious, career threatening or worse, life threatening, but those are absolute worst case scenarios. Best case, it's a setback but doesn't require a new operation.

The Boston Media may be making more of it then what is really there...but this is Brady and the Pats so who knows. They've never exactly been forthcoming regarding this type of stuff and what little they do release isn't exactly the whole picture. Isn't Brady still listed as probably on the injury report for this Sunday?

How serious is an infection if someone goes on a six-week antibiotic treatment?
Depends on what's being fought. When my kids get an ear infection, they go on the pink amoxil stuff for 10 days. And that's for a simple ear infection. If Brady's infection is the MRSA (Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus) version of a staph infection, the staph is resistant to many common forms of antibiotics. It takes strong medicines longer to fight it. Plus you also want to completely eradicate the infection. If you leave some behind, it can reoccur. Also, by not following through with the entire regiment, the MRSA could become resistant to the drug, making matters even more difficult to be dealt with.

The problem as I understand it is that they can't even examine the condition of the ACL until the infection clears. Infection in the knee can be a very scary situation if it isn't contained and cleared up. They may have to do the ACL surgery again which is really not that big of a deal in the big picture. Karma is a B!!

The problem as I understand it is that they can't even examine the condition of the ACL until the infection clears. Infection in the knee can be a very scary situation if it isn't contained and cleared up. They may have to do the ACL surgery again which is really not that big of a deal in the big picture. Karma is a B!!

lolol...i absolutely love the people that are coming out and saying stuff like "karma is a b1tch"....and all this nonsense...its great...cracks me up....sunday night we could possibly be sitting at 5-2 sans the best player in the nfl.....meanwhile yer squad is lookin at possibly 1-6....lolol...the colts lose a 3rd round and an undrafted defensive tackle....and they might be 3-4...very easily could be 2-5 without a choke job by the texans.....but yeah....karma is really kicking us in the teeth!

Karma? Really?

So Brady goes out and kicks everyone's ass because he is really good, they can't stop it, and karma is getting a serious illness?

Wow someone's set of values is severely out of wack...

lolol...i absolutely love the people that are coming out and saying stuff like "karma is a b1tch"....and all this nonsense...its great...cracks me up....sunday night we could possibly be sitting at 5-2 sans the best player in the nfl.....meanwhile yer squad is lookin at possibly 1-6....lolol...the colts lose a 3rd round and an undrafted defensive tackle....and they might be 3-4...very easily could be 2-5 without a choke job by the texans.....but yeah....karma is really kicking us in the teeth!

Guy, are you aware that you literally just typed lolol?

Edited by Seahawks21

Karma? Really?

So Brady goes out and kicks everyone's ass because he is really good, they can't stop it, and karma is getting a serious illness?

Wow someone's set of values is severely out of wack...

All I can say is that for a QB that routinely checks out of running plays with 20+ point leads in the second half, then acts coy about it in the postgame, he was going to get his someday. I'm supposed to feel bad for this ahole??