[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

MVP?

detlef

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QB on a division-leading team with a rating above 100 ... more than 2x more TDs than INTs ... completion percentage in the top five in the league ... Who am I?

I am Kurt Warner.

:wacko:

Edited by muck

I would absolutely hate to see Haynesworth get league MVP.

After he stomped Gurode's head, I have 0 respect for him. That was one of the dirtiest things I've ever seen in football.

He has no place winning an award like that.

Different season. Shouldn't even be considered, as this is Most Valuable Player, not the Good sport of the year.

How about this... give the MVP to Tom Brady since his absence has shown that he is the most valuable player for the Patriots. :D

You think so? :wacko:

Last year, after playing 7 games with Brady, the Pats were atop the AFC East.

This year, after playing 7 games without Brady, the Pats are atop the AFC East.

:D

In the AFC, I'd give it to Haynesworth as well. The problem is that defensive players tend to not get that award. And Haynesworth is only one part of a really good defense (Bullock, Vanden Bosch, etc.)

A DL can get MVP; Nick Collins has been playing CRAZY good for GB, but I expect a DB will win MVP right around the time pigs begin to fly.

QB on a division-leading team with a rating above 100 ... more than 2x more TDs than INTs ... completion percentage in the top five in the league ... Who am I?

I am Kurt Warner.

It's a legit proposition, but IMO the voters will "punish" Warner for falling off after his other MVP-type season.

It's a legit proposition, but IMO the voters will "punish" Warner for falling off after his other MVP-type season.

What "other" are you talking about?

He's a two-time NFL MVP.

"Falling off" = getting hurt ... getting traded ... getting his head handed to him ... being replaced by "the youth movement" ... etc ...

IMO, if Warner wins the MVP again, it'll be pretty impossible to keep a three-time NFL MVP out of Canton.

Edited by muck

What are you talking about?

He's a two-time NFL MVP.

"Falling off" = getting hurt ... getting traded ... getting his head handed to him ... being replaced by "the youth movement" ... etc ...

IMO, if Warner wins the MVP again, it'll be pretty impossible to keep a three-time NFL MVP out of Canton.

Hey, I think Warner is as deserving as anyone of MVP so far.

I'm just saying that you see people in the sports media talk about people being "deserving" of 1st ballot HoF entries and stuff; and when a 3-time MVP has all the career numbers and a couple of SB appearances under his belt, you CAN'T, in good conscience, keep him out of Canton. And I think some of the MVP voters will be VERY cognizant of this....and sandbag against Warner because they don't feel he's HoF caliber.

I also think the Freemasons put mind-control drugs in our water supplies. :wacko:

Warner's had a whole FOUR seasons that could be considered "above average" in comparison to other NFL QBs. Even with the ring and the MVPs, I don't see how that's a HOF career.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Warner's had a whole FOUR seasons that the voters would consider "above average" in comparison to his peers... and only has one ring to go with it. That's not a HOF career.

More rings and MVPs than Gale Sayers. Better career numbers and will have accomplished as much by the end of this season (assuming he is healthy for the bulk of it) than Joe Namath - 27663 yds, 173 tds, 63 wins as starter, 4 time Pro Bowler, 1 time All Pro, 1 SB MVP, and 2 AP AFL Players of the Year (which I read as "MVP"). Warner has, right now, 26000 career yds, 167 tds, 3 Pro Bowls, 2 All Pros, 2 SB appearances and on SB MVP on top of 2 AP MVPs.

EDIT - my bad, Broadway Joe was in 5 Pro Bowls, not 4.

:wacko: Just sayin'.

Edited by Chavez

More rings and MVPs than Gale Sayers. Better career numbers and will have accomplished as much by the end of this season (assuming he is healthy for the bulk of it) than Joe Namath - 27663 yds, 173 tds, 63 wins as starter, 4 time Pro Bowler, 1 time All Pro, 1 SB MVP, and 2 AP AFL Players of the Year (which I read as "MVP"). Warner has, right now, 26000 career yds, 167 tds, 3 Pro Bowls, 2 All Pros, 2 SB appearances and on SB MVP on top of 2 AP MVPs.

First off, Joe Namath is the most overrated HOFer ever. He was probably the first media superstar the NFL ever had, and that's what got him into the HOF. The Super Bowl championship is how they rationalized it.

Warner has had five good (sometimes great) seasons spread out over an 11 year career. 3 good years followed by five years of irrevelance followed by two more solid years is not a HOF career. If you want to go by numbers, Vinny Testaverde has 46,000 yard and 275 TDs. Do you really think he deserves to be enshrined in Canton as one of the greatest players of all time?

I'm not sure if you're playing Devil's Advocate here, but Namath's numbers in the 60's and 70's aren't exactly comparable to Warner's in our current passy-happy era.

Warner's had two outstanding seasons, two good seasons, and six crappy, injury-riddled seasons. Those good seasons and his ring make for a really nice career, but I don't see how that makes him HOF-worthy. League MVP awards are subjective and heavily biased towards offensive skill-position players (and especially QBs). Marshall Faulk was arguably a better MVP candidate in '99 and both Faulk and Holt merited very serious consideration in '01. Not that Warner wasn't a gamer and a clutch player (the game-winning TD to Proehl in the '99 NFC Championship was almost Montana-like), but he's not the guy that "made" the Rams offense. They were absolutely loaded with talent and still scored tons of points when Trent Green filled in for an injured Kurt in 2000. They might not have gotten the ring under Green, but I don't see what would stop Trent from winning those two MVPs had Rodney Harrison not destroyed his knee in '99.

I like Warner a lot both as a player and a person. He's a great story. So are Rich Gannon and Terrell Davis, and I don't think that those guys excelled long enough to merit a bust in Canton, either.

Depends on the definition of MVP ... How about Roethlisberger? Pittsburgh's 5-1 and leading their division ... where would the Steeeeelers be without Big Ben?

I think this is a good point.

The league MVP should not be decided by who put up the gawdiest stats. It should be about which player was the most valuabe to his teams success.

So the first question is, do we consider the overall record of the team when looking at this? Who knows, but of the Top 10 rated QB's in the league right now Warner is the highest rated QB on a division leading team.

A good litmus test would be to take someone you think is a good candidate and then think, could his team have equaled their success without him.

I don't think the Cardinals would be 4-3 with Leinart leading them.

So right now I would have to lean towards Warner.

Edited by Jrick35

Depends on the definition of MVP ... How about Roethlisberger? Pittsburgh's 5-1 and leading their division ... where would the Steeeeelers be without Big Ben?

he threw 4 interceptions last night

You cant do that and be MVP

still another half of the season to be played...

but in all fairness it has to be Brandon Jacobs or maybe Chris johnson/lendale white on the titans?

Brandon Jacobs? really ?

Johnson/Lendale ? really ?

none of those players will be the MVP on their own team , much less the entire league.

If you are going by stats , I like Brees.

But if its about wins and being important to you team and handling pressure down the stretch of games , Eli.

Brandon Jacobs? really ?

Johnson/Lendale ? really ?

none of those players will be the MVP on their own team , much less the entire league.

If you are going by stats , I like Brees.

But if its about wins and being important to you team and handling pressure down the stretch of games , Eli.

Eli too is up there but take away Jacobs from the Giants and I dont see Eli doing nearly as good. Jacobs is fo real.

Brees is doing awesome but the Saints need to win

Kurt Warner is a very good mention. However...

Jason Campbell projected 2008: 66.1% completion, 7.63 YPA, 16 TD, 0 INT, 100.5 QB rating. If the Redskins win the NFC East, my vote would definitely go to Campbell. It's not like the Redskins are blowing anyone out -- his decision-making has been the single most important reason why that team is winning games.

Portis is on pace for 1800 yards and 14 TDs, along with only 22 receptions. Those stats aren't eye-popping enough to get him consideration over his QB who should finish with a 7- or 8-to-1 TD-to-INT ratio. :wacko:

If Campbell and/or the Redskins in general start falling off somewhat, AND if the Packers go on a nice winning streak, Aaron Rodgers would be a real candidate, too. You could say the exact same thing about Orton and the Bears. I'm stunned by Orton's numbers right now, so I'm skeptical that he'll continue.

I also can't see Eli ever putting up MVP-caliber stats.