[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

MVP?

detlef

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Late to this party, but I have to go with Chad Pennington. The Dolphins are about to win the AFC East division. Pennington is 75% of the reason why.

So sick how Jets nation booed him out of town a year ago. Now they all get teary eyed for him.

ETA - And Bernard Pollard is the reason Miami is going to win the division if they do.

Edited by SheikYerbuti

How about Brandon Jacobs? Obviously, the Giants are loaded at RB, but he really seems to set the tone for that offense, and the Giants can lay legit claim to "best team in the league."

Jacobs is certainly deserving of consideration, but it didn't help that Ward completely stole his thunder tonight on national TV.

I don't think that it's going to go to a RB this year. The RBs who've received it over the past 15 years (LT, Alexander, TD, Barry, Emmitt, etc.) have needed ridiculous numbers. Williams probably won't hit 1,500 yds or 20 TDs this year, with him likely getting rest next weekend. I also don't see any WRs putting up eye-popping numbers this season (like Moss last year).

Unless DeMarcus Ware or Haynesworth or some other defensive player gets it (also unlikely... hasn't happened since '86), it's probably going to go to a QB. Despite my obvious bias, I'd have to go with Peyton at this point. And I say that with significant hesitation, as he struggled early in the season and his overall numbers are pretty average (for him). But if you want the guy who is most crucial to his team's success going into the playoffs, he and Warner are the two best arguments, IMO. And I think that Warner lost it today.

EDIT: Rovers' suggestion of Pennington is a good call. IMO, he deserves it more than Warner (much tougher division, didn't fade down the stretch).

Edited by Bill Swerski

How about Brandon Jacobs? Obviously, the Giants are loaded at RB, but he really seems to set the tone for that offense, and the Giants can lay legit claim to "best team in the league."

I think he'll get short-changed because of Ward's numbers, but the team is just not the same without him. He is the centerpiece.

Unless DeMarcus Ware or Haynesworth or some other defensive player gets it (also unlikely... hasn't happened since '86)

well with Haynesworth as great a season as he has had it didnt look like the titans missed him to much, and i think Wares chances jump alot if he can take the single season sack record which i think he needs 1.5 to tie.

Edited by Robash

I don't see the Panthers struggling to get into the playoffs without him, and that significantly undercuts his "most valuable" argument. That said, he certainly deserves strong consideration. In a year without anybody putting up eye-popping offensive numbers, he has a very legitimate shot.

A month ago, I thought that it was Warner's to lose. But he's put up mediocre performances in a few big games since and his performance today was nothing short of embarrassing. Among QBs, I'd have to say that Peyton is the front-runner at this point.

They showed a stat last night about DeAngelo Williams that was amazing... He has 6 TD carries of 30+ yards, tied for second best ever with Jim Brown. If he can run one off next week against the Saints, he'll tie the record (also Jim Brown's). I don't think Stewart has that same impact personally, and I don't think the Panthers easily have a first round bye without Williams. He seems a likely candidate to win MVP to me.

I gotta hop on the DeAngelo Williams wagon here. The man has been responsible for a record breaking number of Rushing TD's in short span of time/games (I saw the stat during the game last night but don't remember it exactly). He has 1461 Total Yards and 20 TD's and the Panthers need a win next week to win the division. They play against a soft defense and DeAngelo should put up some good numbers (even if they decide to rest him in the second half.

The fact of the matter is, DeAngelo is more than half of their offense. In the past 7 weeks Delhomme has thrown 7 TD's (no game with multiple scores. In the same time span DW has 15 TD's and has rushed for over 100 yds in 5 of those 7. He is a major reason that they have a shot in in the playoffs. Stewart has proven to not be durable, but is a good complement. DW is the Panther's most reliable piece of offense. He is as deserving as anyone in the league for MVP consideration.

I also like Chad Pennington. His poise, intelligence and accuracy has brought good leadership and a winning attitude to a formerly pathetic Miami team. He is the primary COG in the Miami offense.

Yes the AFC is a mess though in trying to determine who should get, much less truly deserve, MVP honors.

Top 3 QB Candidates for AFC:

Philip Rivers

Chad Pennington

Peyton Manning

Top 3 RB Candidates for AFC

Thomas Jones

Chris Johnson

Steve Slaton

Top 3 WR Candidates for AFC

Andre Johnson

Vincent Jackson

Tony Gonzales

Top 3 AFC Defensive Candidates

Joey Porter

James Harrison

D'Qwell Jackson

Top 3 QB Candidates for NFC:

Drew Brees

Kurt Warner

Tony Romo

Top 3 RB Candidates for NFC

Adrian Peterson

Michael Turner

DeAngelo Williams

Top 3 WR Candidates for AFC

Larry Fitzgerald

Roddy White

Calvin Johnson

Top 3 AFC Defensive Candidates

Demarcus Ware

Barret Ruud

Karlos Dansby

My MVP Honors would go to:

Chad Pennington for the AFC(especially if he beats the Jets this week) Drew Brees for the NFC (because he is their offense)

James Harrison for the AFC (He still manages to stand out on really good defense) Demarcus Ware for the NFC (because he HAS to be accounted for)

I don't think that it's going to go to a RB this year. The RBs who've received it over the past 15 years (LT, Alexander, TD, Barry, Emmitt, etc.) have needed ridiculous numbers. Williams probably won't hit 1,500 yds or 20 TDs this year, with him likely getting rest next weekend. I also don't see any WRs putting up eye-popping numbers this season (like Moss last year).

Not true. Carolina still needs a win or an ATL loss to clinch the division. They have plenty to play for, so Williams will probably run wild on New Orleans.

Edited by MTSuper7

Not true. Carolina still needs a win or an ATL loss to clinch the division. They have plenty to play for, so Williams will probably run wild on New Orleans.

My bad. If he reaches 20 TDs, that will probably help his chances significantly. Then it'll be a question of whether it'll be enough to overcome the committee's bias towards QBs.

Any QB who is throwing for less than half of his career season high TDs. :wacko:

The award isn't "Best Season of Career" you moran. It's Most Valuable Player for 2008. Idiot.

It's really burning you up that Manning could win the MVP isn't it? :D

Edited by CaptainHook

I like to take time out of my day to come here and read this internet fanboard.

It reminds me how this isn't the same group who will be deciding the vote on who actually gets MVP.

As for my guess:

Michael Vick! :wacko:

Whatever dude. I could give two craps about the Colts but I can't really see any one player who's more deserving than Payton. When I started this thread over a month ago, I was amazed that nobody had pulled ahead. Oddly enough, it's as muddy now as it was then. Quite simply, there's not a single player who's been on fire the whole year. Last year you had Brady and Moss, both breaking pretty major records. This year, it's a bunch of guys who've had good stretches.

None the less, Manning has as much right to it as anyone else. Brees has put up better numbers but it hasn't equaled wins. Pennington has been behind center for what could be the biggest turn around in NFL history (not sure but you've got to think it's close) but he's hardly put that team on his back. Williams? He's had the quietest dominant RB season I can ever remember.

Now, I'm not saying that nobody but Manning has a claim. However, if I had to vote, I would make a very unenthusiastic vote for him.

. Pennington has been behind center for what could be the biggest turn around in NFL history (not sure but you've got to think it's close) but he's hardly put that team on his back.

:wacko: ...but Miami's offense might be most effective with Ronnie Brown taking the snaps.

:wacko: ...but Miami's offense might be most effective with Ronnie Brown taking the snaps.

Exactly. Not that it would be an outrage or anything, but Pennington would be about as weak an MVP as has ever won the award if he does. Then again, that might be the case regardless of who wins it. There's just nobody that's been a dominant player all year.