[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Santonio Holmes caught with weed!

KCRob23

Could face a suspension with his past.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/17791739/detail.html

Steeler Santonio Holmes Accused Of Josh Gordon Possession

Drugs Found During Traffic Stop

Thursday, October 23, 2008 – updated: 10:52 pm EDT October 23, 2008

PITTSBURGH -- Police cited Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes on charges of Josh Gordon possession Thursday afternoon.

Pittsburgh police said Holmes was driving a SUV with out-of-state license plates near Mellon Arena. The vehicle matched the description of one linked to a crime, so officers made an investigatory stop.

“When they pulled him over, they found there was a smell of burnt Josh Gordon in the vehicle," said Sgt. James Vogel. “Mr. Holmes was very cooperative with officers and turned over some items to us and was subsequently summoned for those items...a couple of Josh Gordon blunts.”

Police said Holmes turned over three Josh Gordon cigars. Officers charged Holmes with one misdemeanor count of possession of a small amount of Josh Gordon. Holmes was given a summons to court and released.

Vogel said Holmes was very cooperative, respectful and wasn’t impaired. He thinks that should be taken into account when it comes to any potential action taken against him by the Steelers and the NFL.

“We wouldn't expect a steelworker to be laid off or suspended without pay,” said Vogel. “I wouldn't expect a police officer, firefighter or a member of the Steelers.”

The Steelers did not have any comment.

The NFL policy for substance abuse says for a first violation, the NFL could fine and suspend a player without pay for up to four regular games or six games for a second violation.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:D:D:wacko:

As for Holmes past, there really isn't one in the NFL. He had some problems before he came to the NFL, but, IIRC those ended up getting thrown out of court. Still, this sucks.

Edited by Menudo

Onoes!11!! :wacko: I was reading my kids "The Santonio Holmes Story" every night before bed to teach them right from wrong, good from bad, to just say no! Now what do I tell them?

This is just bizarre. Let these GROWN MEN smoke some pot if they want to. They are not performing brain surgery, flying an airplane or handling heavy machinery. It would probably help some of these woman beaters and chronic trouble makers to toke up and chill out. In most states possession of MJ is just a ticket. Less serious than a DWI. Grow a pair Goodell. Decriminalize pot in the NFL!!!

ETA: No, I dont have Holmes on any of my fantasy rosters...

Edited by DemonKnight

This is just bizarre. Let these GROWN MEN smoke some pot if they want to. They are not performing brain surgery, flying an airplane or handling heavy machinery. It would probably help some of these woman beaters and chronic trouble makers to toke up and chill out. In most states possession of MJ is just a ticket. Less serious than a DWI. Grow a pair Goodell. Decriminalize pot in the NFL!!!

:wacko:

Always nice to see someone take a rational position...

Hard to believe that these guys can't kick back with a couple of beers or a 7&7 instead of risking getting nailed for something clearly outside the boundaries of the CBA. I can't believe that anyone can make a case that players aren't getting paid too much when players don't give a crap about surrendering a quarter of their annual salary just to spark up a spliff.

Hard to believe that these guys can't kick back with a couple of beers or a 7&7 instead of risking getting nailed for something clearly outside the boundaries of the CBA. I can't believe that anyone can make a case that players aren't getting paid too much when players don't give a crap about surrendering a quarter of their annual salary just to spark up a spliff.

+1

As a Columbus police officer I can tell you two things

1. This was normal in college. Anyone who encountered Mr. Holmes on non game nights knows what I am talking about. He was never an A Hole and always a pretty nice guy, but the guy was always under the influence.

2. This probably wasnt the first time this has happened for him during his pro career. Cops almost dislike these situations as much as the player involved because of the attention it draws. Unless the guy is a total a hole, which Santonio is not, it is better off to park the car and take the guy home. Now, cops do talk and when someone keeps spitting in your face after you have cut them numerous breaks, they will get a ride downtown.

Onoes!11!! :wacko: I was reading my kids "The Santonio Holmes Story" every night before bed to teach them right from wrong, good from bad, to just say no! Now what do I tell them?

ETA: No, I dont have Holmes on any of my fantasy rosters...

Dude, for whatever inane reason, pot is illegal. If it's illegal for me, it better damned well be illegal for Santonio Holmes. Now, if the US pulled their head of their ass and decriminalized it and the NFL still suspended dudes for use, then I'd be with you on this. However, these guys have spent much of their lives living by a different set of rules than the rest of us and I, for one, don't like that one bit.

So, as much as I agree that smoking a J is absolutely no big deal at all (though I should note that I almost never do anymore), I certainly don't see why the NFL should treat this version of breaking the law any different than other transgressions.

Ok I need to know from some of you who smoke pot... is Josh Gordon addictive? I always thought that it was NOT addictive. But these athletes absolutely cannot stop getting caught with this stuff. I mean how amazingly idiotic do you have to be to jeopardize everything just to smoke pot? I'm trying to wrap my mind around this but I'm just not seeing the big picture.

I have Millions of dollars.

I could potentially lose Millions of dollars by getting caught smoking pot.

I continue to smoke pot.

Edited by Savage Beatings

Ok I need to know from some of you who smoke pot... is Josh Gordon addictive? I always thought that it was NOT addictive. But these athletes absolutely cannot stop getting caught with this stuff. I mean how amazingly idiotic do you have to be to jeopardize everything just to smoke pot? I'm trying to wrap my mind around this but I'm just not seeing the big picture.

I continue to smoke pot.

Anything that can make a bag of Doritos more appetizing than a million dollars must be addicting

I continue to smoke pot.

Weed is not chemically addictive but then again, neither is gambling. However, I've known plenty who've continued to do both more than they should have and certainly to the detriment of their lives. Just as people can do totally legal things way more than they should despite the fact that there's not a chemical dependency.

I agree with how silly this looks. Hell, at one point I was hard up for a job and one came up that required me to pee in a cup. At the time I was smoking way less pot than I used to but still toked now and then. As much as I have very strong beliefs that we should not have to basically surrender our rights to not being searched without cause in order to obtain employment, I needed the job and reminded myself that they were basically asking me to smoke pot about 5 times a year less than I currently was. Again, not happy about it but whatever. This was for a gig that payed about $40 freaking K a year. You can be damned sure that I'd be able to deal with it for 4 mil.

I think the issue at hand is not pot but the fact that these guys are, for the most part, a-holes with no sense of responsibility who've had every transgression brushed under the rug as long as they can remember. So, be it pot, or assaulting people, or anything else, they simply have no concept of where to draw the line. So, in this case it manifests itself with a guy possessing Josh Gordon. In LJ's case, it's assaulting a woman yet again and screaming death threats to her boyfriend. In PacMan's case it's making it rain. I don't think we need to bother concerning ourselves with the specifics here but rather the near pathological disregard for rules in general.

+1

And the idiot was driving around with it in his car, obviously smoking it (since roaches were found).

Way to put the safety of every other driver in the Pittsburgh area at risk, Santonio. You really couldn't wait until you were in the privacy of your multi-million dollar home to smoke your brains out? You had to do it while in your vehicle?

Maybe you and Matt Jones can go to the same rehab class, since you both think its OK to not only mess up your own mind, but endanger the lives of those around you.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

As much as I have very strong beliefs that we should not have to basically surrender our rights to not being searched without cause in order to obtain employment,

Unless the job you were applying for was with the government, that argument has absolutely no standing.

A private company has every right in the world to do drug testing (and in fact, probably gets a good break on its insurance premiums by doing so, as well as decreasing liability in certain instances). They have the right to ask you to piss in a cup, and you have the right to tell them to piss off and then go work for someone else.

I continue to smoke pot.

I'm guessing 99.9% of the time they do it they don't get caught. That would breed complacency for the potential ramifications. :D

Unless the job you were applying for was with the government, that argument has absolutely no standing.

A private company has every right in the world to do drug testing (and in fact, probably gets a good break on its insurance premiums by doing so, as well as decreasing liability in certain instances). They have the right to ask you to piss in a cup, and you have the right to tell them to piss off and then go work for someone else.

It's pretty f'ing clear that my constitutional rights are not being violated or they couldn't do it. So you can stop rolling your eyes. And yes, the most oft-used rationale is insurance. However, if enough employers do this, then it wont much matter whether the police can search you without cause because, for all intents and purposes, you'll have to waive that right in order to make a living.

The peeing in a cup never seems to bother many because of the unsavory attitude they have towards drugs. However, we're not talking about employers not wanting workers who are stoned on the job. They should certainly do what they can to insure a drug (and booze) free workplace. We're talking about employers who've chosen one particular illegal activity and checking if you ever do it, even when you're at home, after work, and watching the cartoon network with a bag of Fritos.

Would the same people who roll their eyes at those of us who take issue with this rather pervasive trend be cool with it if your employer required you to attach a devise to your car that alerted them if you ever exceeded the speed limit and then disciplined you accordingly? That's the exact same thing. And, no, punishing employees for getting too many speeding tickets is not the same thing because that would be the same thing as an employer punishing you for being arrested for possession or being under the influence of pot (which is something I have much less of a problem with).

Edited by detlef