[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's not the same...

NYCDOG

First of all, I have to say that I have been an ardent follower and practitioner of fantasy football for probably far too long. As has been mentioned in other threads before this one, something about this year in particular feels somewhat hollow and empty.

I joined this site 6 years ago and it has been an invaluable source of information and at its worst, a terrific source of entertainment and cameraderie.

This year feels different, however. I think Capostatus posted something along these lines (spare me the "you should comment on the same thread" schtick") a few days ago, but I felt a need to post anyway. Fantasy football has become more a game of chance than ever before in the past 6 years. It's funny that the powers that be do not attempt to regulate it as a form of gambling because it is classified as a game of "skill". NO longer can you be reasonably certain that your skill players will deliver up to expectations. Choosing who to start or sit is merely a roll of the dice away. Don't get me wrong, I am tied for first in my big money league, but I can't say for certain that it is because my players are better. In fact, I only have the fourth most points in the league but am tied for first place. RBBC and system over talent has reduced this once great pasttime to a luck of the draw.

I haven't gotten as much satisfaction about winning this year than in years prior. I'm probably getting old but this is my Jerry McGuire mission statement on a long Thursday night. It comes from the heart however..

I of course cant shake this addiction, but felt the need to express myself nonetheless. Peace.

Edited by NYCDOG

Could it be that fantasy football is the same but the environment and society at large is different and that affects everything? Life for everyone has been a major downer for the last six months with the gas prices gouging everyone, mortgages going into foreclosure in nearly every neighborhood and then the crash of the stock market. Add in we have to suffer through a political season where pretty much everything that is spewed is negative and it is not so much fantasy football has changed as it is that we are going through a tougher time.

We are going through a transition in the NFL in my opinion because the top dogs we have know for so long are falling to the wayside, retiring or underperforming. And yet there seem to be less studs coming up to supplant them (talking most RBs though). But they will be there. One of the beauties of the NFL is that it constantly replenishes itself every year and it is never the same. RBBC has changed the face of RBs to be sure, but it is only one of probably six positions that you use and only what - 15% of your starters anyway.

I would argue against the notion that start/sit decisions are a roll of the dice or that you have no control. The way I see it, playing fantasy football and doing your own research and following the NFL should be a reward itself. And it maybe is like card counting taken to the extreme - you can greatly increase the odds in your favor but there will always be injuries and just changing dynamics of the team that affect the player. You could never, ever guess 100% and it would be no fun if you could. You can significantly increase your odds and know that you did that.

I think some that feel that fantasy football is different this season because people coming in are different this year. It is not a fun time for our country by any means and it all has come to a head in the last couple of months right when we started the preseason.

We'll get past our society problems and return more to normal, but it is not going to happen this year.

First of all, I have to say that I have been an ardent follower and practitioner of fantasy football for probably far too long. As has been mentioned in other threads before this one, something about this year in particular feels somewhat hollow and empty.

I joined this site 6 years ago and it has been an invaluable source of information and at its worst, a terrific source of entertainment and cameraderie.

This year feels different, however. I think Capostatus posted something along these lines (spare me the "you should comment on the same thread" schtick") a few days ago, but I felt a need to post anyway. Fantasy football has become more a game of chance than ever before in the past 6 years. It's funny that the powers that be do not attempt to regulate it as a form of gambling because it is classified as a game of "skill". NO longer can you be reasonably certain that your skill players will deliver up to expectations. Choosing who to start or sit is merely a roll of the dice away. Don't get me wrong, I am tied for first in my big money league, but I can't say for certain that it is because my players are better. In fact, I only have the fourth most points in the league but am tied for first place. RBBC and system over talent has reduced this once great pasttime to a luck of the draw.

I haven't gotten as much satisfaction about winning this year than in years prior. I'm probably getting old but this is my Jerry McGuire mission statement on a long Thursday night. It comes from the heart however..

I of course cant shake this addiction, but felt the need to express myself nonetheless. Peace.

There really isn't much to say after DMD really did say it all....but here goes....

Fantasy Football is what you make it and many of us probably take on to many teams at times and that can take some of the fun out of it. While fantasy football does have a large element of luck doing your research does make a difference. Sure just like with the stock market you can make uninformed decisions and get lucky and hit it big but more often then not you arent going to do so well. The reverse is true too...you can research the hell out of a stock and buy it to only see it fall on its face.

RBBC can be a frustrating thing in fantasy football but leagues will adapt and evolve just like the NFL has. One of my leagues (ATAP) actually allows for ZERO RBs to be started...while it is a bit odd it works....and it works....the other evolution in fantasy football is IDP Leagues...as DMD said a RB is normally 15% of your starting lineup....in an IDP league it could be half of that...and in adding IDPs you help to take the luck factor out just a bit more...the more players you can do research on the better chance that your research will bear out over luck...

It always amazes me just how perfect things have to go for an owner to: make the playoffs, continue on to the finals and then if you're lucky enough, win the league championship. When reviewing a successful year, I can look at many different circumstances that had to happen to where luck had a huge factor and had they not gone that way, success would have eluded me. Of course it swings the other way as well. It can be frustrating as heck but it is still entertaining on the whole. The factors you control can and will separate the winners from the losers: the auction, line-up decisions, trades and waiver wire activity. I get just as upset as the next owner when things don't pan out but I wouldn't want to give it up as I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of fantasy football.

Edited by Crispy

FF is hardly a "luck of the draw" event. That it has changed is unquestionable. But if you feel that FF has changed to be more a game of luck than previously, my response would be that you haven't been keeping up with the changes in the game.

More teams using multiple RBs is a rational and reasonable response by the NFL to what is a relative plethora of competent RBs in the league (in comparison to years past), an influx of specialty RBs, and changes in NFL rules. And to be honest, I firmly believe it helps FFers in regards to RBs, since a team isn't as reliant on one stud RB and therefore doesn't have to push their hoss if he's tweaked a little bit. I'd rather see Jacobs get 18 carries a game and last all season than get 23 carries a game & be standing on the sideline for 6 weeks with an injury.

The rule changes and the points of emphasis in the NFL has changed the basic nature of the game from a "run to win" game to a "pass to win" game. Because of that change, NFL teams have placed a greater priority on using the passing game to move the ball, whereas the great teams used to use the running game to control tempo and set up the passing game. Because of that, there is a greater emphasis in FF on WRs - especially with many FF leagues "seeing the light" and going to ppr scoring. That pushes WR value up higher than it has been in the past, and places a greater priority on getting top WRs on one's roster. The old RB/RB theory has gone out the window in many leagues (thank the FF gods!) and requires FF owners to take greater pains in assessing relative values between players at different positions.

This makes value based player evaluation and drafting a critical component in a FF owner's arsenal. It is a theory that some here have pushed with great enthusiasm (notably DMD and Big Country to name a couple), taking great pains to explain the way it works to everyone so that Huddlers who pay attention should have a significant advantage in any league except for those leagues where value based owners are prevelant - and which make for incredibly competitive and exciting league.

That more and more FF owners are getting a greater education and are becoming more knowledgeable about the game, it also requires that owners think outside the box a bit as well as watching the WW more closely and playing favorable matchups. That's where people here really get an edge. There are some outstanding debates about WW players who may be placed in a situation where they can provide some real midseason value to a FF team (right now, the ongoing debate about Torain is an example) and matchup evaluations are critical (like the Rodgers/Colts matchup debate last week) that give Huddlers an edge in their league that can make the difference between being a so-so also ran and a top-of-the-heap FF team.

Make no bones about it - it takes a bit more research and effort, but that's what makes it great fun. But it also requires keeping up, and those who don't will be guys who lucked into the #1 pick in their past drafts and rode Faulk or Holmes to championships, but now are sitting in the middle of the pack in their league because they missed out on the Fortes and the Cutlers during their drafts, and then didn't see the Lance Moores, the Slatons, and quite possibly the Torains showing up as the season progressed.

I'm new to these forums, but have been playing FF for a while now and I can say that I get more enjoyment out of salary cap type games now compared to D&T. I don't think one takes anymore skill than the other, but I feel more involved with the makeup of my team each week. I want to believe there is a slightly less degree of luck involved, but it could just be my perception.

But I can agree with the overall mood of the country. I teach college English and it feels like everyone I work with, work for and teach, are in a funk.

I think we as fans and FF players will adjust as the NFL game adjusts. The makeup of the games will change and I also think some who are burning out will play less teams and in leagues with friends, which always helps.

I love these games, but sometimes on Sunday afternoons, even when my Steelers are winning, I am down because of one player injury or down game. I know I need to get out of the house and enjoy some real life at that point.

I love these games, but sometimes on Sunday afternoons, even when my Steelers are winning, I am down because of one player injury or down game. I know I need to get out of the house and enjoy some real life at that point.

Well said. We have actually skipped church for many Sundays in a row just so we would not miss any of the early games. Thats kinda sad when you think of the big picture in life. This Sunday we will make the change.

All I know is that I put more thought into my team than most others in my leagues. I study more than most others in my leagues. I've also never missed the playoffs in one of my leagues (a twelve year run), made it every year but once in another (that ran for 5 years) and am tied for 1st in the new league I started this year.

I have certainly been the subject of bad luck and also the victim of seeing Manning go bat-crazy against Balt while he sat on my bench and then lay an egg against the Pack when I started him. None the less, the fact that I win far more often than I lose proves to me that, like DMD says, you can certainly bend the odds a bit with some work.

My high-scoring 2-5 team says otherwise. :wacko: I'm becoming a big fan of total pts leagues.

i feel your pain...here are 3 of my teams records ....both HTH versus what my all play record is

1. 4-3 vs 74-30-1 ....currently in 2nd place in div (3rd highest scoring team)

2. 5-2 vs 95-10 ....currently in 2nd place in div (highest scoring team)

5. 6-4 vs 185-32 ....currently tied for 1st in my div (2nd highest scoring team, in 32 team league)

6. 5-2 vs 131-55 ...currently tied for 1st in my div(2nd highest scoring team, in 32 team league)

so thats a total of 3 leagues(1 & 2 are 16 team leagues) and my combined record in those leagues is

20-11 for a winning % of .645

my all play record wo1uld be 485-127-1 for a winning % of .791

Nice post.

This is year 6 for me, and for whatever reason it does feel different. Perhaps the newness has worn thin or like you say it's the game that's changed that doesn't quite make it as fun. The NFL, let alone FF, has been quite crazy this year and it's difficult to be able t depend on much. For whatever reason I'm posting far fewer WDIS posts, I do my research and just go with my gut knowing there doesn't seem as much reason to the outcome. I still watch all the games, with trusty laptop close by but the blume has definitely come off the rose, this year anyway.

All I know is that I put more thought into my team than most others in my leagues. I study more than most others in my leagues. I've also never missed the playoffs in one of my leagues (a twelve year run), made it every year but once in another (that ran for 5 years) and am tied for 1st in the new league I started this year.

Same here. I work hard, put in good research time, and I think I've got a seven- or eight-year playoff streak going in my local, with two championships. In Dynasty Wars I took an abandoned franchise from (beyond) doormat status to, last year, finishing in the money and being a Justin Tuck MNF performance away from winning the title. Part of it is just horse sense.

For example, in this same local league, I paid a fair bit for Tom Brady last year. Being an auction keeper league, I could keep him for a reasonable price above what I paid for him last year . . . but I didn't. Why?!? When a veteran with an extensive, VERY consistent track record doubles his usual output, that's a freak season--not a new trend. Most in my league thought I was totally crazy for passing up on him. The owner who paid for Brady was exultant when the hammer dropped. . . I just smiled. Now that owner is probably thinking, "Man, it's just not the same anymore. The FF world is not fair! It's luck, not skill. Nobody would blame me for making that call! Every fantasy magazine had him rated as the #4, #5, #6 overall player . . ."

Of course, I didn't realize that Brady would get hurt, but having that horse sense saved my season.

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

I'll agree theres a good amount of both. More you put into it, the more you get back. That being said, an early season 4-6 week injury to your star player, or 2-3 well underperforming, and/or one decides to smoke pot, can all but ruin the best researched team.

Today's players are faster and stronger than ever. Collisions are more violent. Injuries are more frequent. Therefore luck comes into play more often. Hence owners need to be very fluid with their rosters through out the season. If you're in a league with competent owners you can't win the league with luck only, nor can you win it with skill only. To win the grand prize you need both. Skill can be acquired, but luck is whimsical. "If you build a better mousetrap, they will beat a path to your door". If you are more skilled than your competitors than you'll contend every year. Add in a little luck and you can win it all.

Four years ago I was in 6 Sportsline leagues, 2 Golds, 3 Platinums, and 1 Diamond. I drafted Duece McCallister with my 1st pick in 4 of 6 leagues. He went down with an ACL tear in week 3 or 4. I qualified for the playoffs in all 6 leagues, I made the finals in 5, and won 4. I netted about $2200.00 from FF that year. In the Diamond league, which I won I played Maurice Hicks in the finals. Injuries just mean you have to do more homework and set your lineup based on matchups, as opposed to "Always start your Studs". WHEN YOU CAN WIN BY SCRAMBLING iT IS THAT MUCH MORE GRATIFYING.

Edited by panhead55

i honestly dont know how some of you guys manage double digit numbers of teams.

maybe thats part of the problem, maybe not.

i do see the changes in the NFL this year. talent is begining to turn over on a larger scale.

to me, that translates into a ff challenge.

this year, so far, it has been tough to put a

winning team on the 'field' . But thats what has made this year so much fun and a challenge.

Look, if i could just stick LT, Owens, Brady, fill in the blank, on my roster each week,

that would be boring. and in years past, it was getting boring.

i've noticed that the guys who are paying attention the most this year are doing well. and having fun.

the others are pissed and bored. they're not doing their homework, for whatever reasons.

being a manager, scouring the ww, doing more research, etc, etc has made this year one of the

better years of ff imo.

I think one of the main problems may be that too many people are now getting into FF and finding too much info on the web. Many years ago, those of us who best understood the game were playing against a lot of 'them' who didn't, so we could always draft better, pick up free agents better, make better trades, etc. Now Yahoo, ESPN, FF For All etc make projections for the masses that are not too far off the mark.

For example, one of my local, real reward leagues used to only score points for TDs, and give more points for the longer the TD. So of course, those of us who "knew the scoring system" always did better than those who followed football but didn't really understand. Then over time we started adding yardage points, team defense points for turnovers, etc. and suddenly the league was like the real NFL, and the teams who didn't study much could still pick the right players.

Oh well, it's still a lot more fun than working for a living. And if you throw out that one league where they have somehow conspired against me for the last 9 years, I am 22-12-1 so far in the other 5! Guess there's still somethimg to be said for "picking the players who will score the most points"!