[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Strange waiver rules

chester

Local league with some firends from college, been at it for 5+ years.

Normal waiver request rules on Wed night/Thurs morning (waivers are due at midnight and processed when the commish has a chance on thurs morning).

Here's the strange thing (I think): If somebody drops a player the previous week he is locked until 6pm on Thurs. You cannot request him in the normal waiver process, but only on a first come first serve after 6. I never noticed it until this year. Commish (a friend) says that's how it's always been done. I believe him but can't rationalize a reason for it.

It's not really a big deal, I was just wondering if anybody has seen something like this before or can explain to me a reason for it.

It is a rule designed to allow everybody to become aware that the player is available. We choose to lock released players until the next week's waivers. Your league has elected to lock them until Thursday night. Doesn't seem all that unusual to me.

But that's how most (all?) leagues do it, it gives everybody an equal shot at the guy, not the one who can click first at 6pm.

Yes, chester it is unusual. In most leagues employing the "standard" waiver period followed by a FCFS period, any player released in a given week is locked until the following week but claims can be made for the following week's waiver period. Like you say, locking them until the next FCFS period gives an unfair advantage to anyone that can be online right when FCFS opens, and gives a definite advantage to the commish if FCFS opens as soon as he processes the waiver claims as it is not at a set time, but merely at whatever time he gets to them on a Thursday morning.