[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Culpepper in Detroit

Furd

What I find interesting is the fact that there are other teams in the NFL with serious QB issues (Bengals, Raiders, 49ers, Chiefs, heck even the Seahawks have to realize that Seneca Wallace sucks and Hasselbeck doesn't look likely to return soon), yet nobody but the Lions touched him with a 10-foot pole. The Lions just needed SOMEONE to step in and be a punching bag for the rest of this season and into next. None of the Lions' problems will get fixed unless they hire someone with brains to evaluate talent as well as install a better coaching staff and system.

As for Culpepper's signing, he won't be in game shape nor grasp the basics of the playbook for at least a few weeks I would guess... I just think with Culpepper's history of fumbling and the Lions' obvious woes on the offensive line, this reeks of disaster. But then again, what other free agent options are there? Tim Rattay? Jeff George? Joey Har..... I can't finish that thought. :wacko:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought they signed him, then cut him, then signed him, then cut him again?

I think you went one too far--signed, cut, re-signed. He's still on the roster at the official website, and currently listed as third on the depth chart behind Mark Brunell--which, I mean, WOW is that guy old.

Peace

policy

KFFL reporting Culpepper likely to START Week 10....too funny:

Lions | Culpepper will likely start Week 10 game

Mon, 3 Nov 2008 23:13:07 -0800

John Niyo, of The Detroit News, reports Detroit Lions QB Daunte Culpepper will likely start the team's Week 10 game.

So Culpepper comes in, looks at the playbook for 12 seconds, and is ready to start.

While Stanton, with the team for 2 years, taking regular snaps in practice for the last several weeks, will embarass himself if he plays.

:wacko:

What I find interesting is the fact that there are other teams in the NFL with serious QB issues (Bengals, Raiders, 49ers, Chiefs, heck even the Seahawks have to realize that Seneca Wallace sucks and Hasselbeck doesn't look likely to return soon), yet nobody but the Lions touched him with a 10-foot pole. The Lions just needed SOMEONE to step in and be a punching bag for the rest of this season and into next.:

That's one way to look at it. Another is that Palmer will be starting for the Bengals next season, Hasselbeck will be starting for the Seahawks, Russell will be starting in Oakland, and the Chiefs' two better options than Culpepper will be healthy next year. My guess is that Culpepper's agent made it clear that he wanted to have a chance to compete for the starting job next year.

... My guess is that Culpepper's agent made it clear that he wanted to have a chance to compete for the starting job next year.

Culpepper is his own agent, IIRC. Judging from when Culpepper's name has popped up whenever any team has needed a QB recently... it sounded like he was wanting to be handed the starting job or a multi-year deal as part of the conditions.

In the past 8 months, he had contact or interest with the Packers, Lions (he had contact with them in July, too), Chiefs, and Steelers.

He turned down a 1 year/1 mil offer from the Pack (not a multi-year deal, no chance at starting right away).

Lions, in July, were interested but never made an offer (probably didn't make one b/c Culpepper had no chance of starting over Kitna right away).

Chiefs, I can't imagine Crazy Carl even pondered the idea of giving him a multi-year deal. Not with two QBs that should be back in a year and a backup that is doing some good things.

Steelers, no chance he'd start right away.

Again, all this sounds like Culpepper has an overly inflated opinion of himself. Instead of sucking it up and taking a one year deal then waiting for his chance, he wanted a multi-year deal and assurance he would start. Hardly sounds like a guy willing to work hard for his team and rehab his career.