[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HOF Mock Draft Review

muck

Who has the best base to start from?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who has the best base to start from?

• Skylive5
    • Chief Dick
    • Muck
    • Menudo
    • Locness Monster
    • Caveman Nick
    • Kansas State 2000
    • Seahawks21
    • Cowboyz1
    • TFord

As performed in this thread, a group of ten Huddlers performed a mock draft of NFL Hall-of-Famers (and a few who are widely anticipated to be in the HOF once they are eligible).

The rules were (generally) to draft (i) at least one person as HC or owner and (ii) no more than three people not currently in the HOF to be the foundation for the franchise that you, the world-class GM would like to build.

By doing this, we thought it would provide some ideas for how various top-shelf teams have been built by real GMs and how a few well-known names around here would do the same if given free reign over the best talent to ever play the game.

Here are the teams that each team drafted, along with their analysis of where they wanted to go and how they got there (in their own words):

Skylive5:

Went into this with the understanding that we needed a solid core for a team.

Jim Brown at RB was a no brainer. The best RB in history is nice to build around.

Jack Youngblood at DE is a guy that will play no matter what. Intense and fast.

Sammy Baugh not only is an outstanding QB he hold records at DB and P positions. Tough as nails and the greatest all-around player in history.

Don Hutson WR practically invented the position. Also my PK.

Lance Alworth WR on the other side from Hutson. Not going to cover Bambi let alone both.

Lem Barney at CB is a solid starting point to build around. Smart and quick. A ball hawk.

Jim Otto at C give me a guaranteed every week starter who is probably the best center to have played the game. Solid to build an offensive line with.

Willie Davis at DE gives me one on each side and opposing QB's are in deep deep trouble.

John Hannah at OG alongside Otto allows freedom to build a top line without much effort.

John Madden HC. Second highest winning percentage in history. A motivator. Knows how to handle the elite and gets the best out of them.

Chief Dick:

My plan was to try and balance my roster so I could have both sides of the ball represented equally.

LB -- Dick Butkus

QB -- John Elway

RB -- Emmitt Smith (*)

OT/PK -- Lou Groza

DT -- Buck Buchannon

OT/OG -- Forrest Gregg

HC -- Vince Lombardi

S/CB -- Mel Renfro

WR -- Paul Warfield

WR -- Marvin Harrison (*)

Muck:

I have affectionately named my team "Trench Warfare".

With this roster, I believe I have the most dominant defensive line (Reggie White, Bruce Smith and Gino Marchetti) and offensive line (Willie Roaf, Jonathan Ogden and Jim Parker) out of any of the other teams ... and it's not even close. Now, I did give up on getting some of the flashy skill players, but I believe the game is won (i) in the trenches and (ii) on defense. So, to that end, this team boasts seven NFL Defensive Players of the Year (Reggie White-3x, Mike Singletary-2x, Bruce Smith-2x) ... I don't believe that any other team is close to this sort of dominance.

That said, I do have the QB with the most title game experience (Otto Graham with 10 title game appearances in 10 seasons, including seven victories), a vicious surgeon at MLB in Singletary and a dominant CB / KR in Darrell Green.

Had the draft gone another couple of rounds, I would have looked to add a versatile back (maybe someone like Marcus Allen), another versatile and dominant offensive lineman. If we could have taken a 4th non-HOF member, I would have been looking hard at Bo Jackson and Warren Sapp.

Oh, and some hack named Paul Brown is the head coach ... picked by many as the best coach ever to hold a clipboard.

DE/DT -- Reggie White -- 6'5", 291lbs -- 15yr career -- retired as the NFL career sack leader (currently #2 all-time); three time NFL Defensive Player of the Year; 13 time All-Pro; All-NFL Team of the Decade for the 1980s and 1990s; All-NFL 75 Year Anniversary Team

CB/KR -- Darrell Green -- 5'9", 176lbs -- 20yr career -- four time All-Pro and member of the All-NFL Team of the Decade for the 1990s

LB -- Mike Singletary -- 6'0", 230lbs -- 12yr career -- two time NFL Defensive Player of the Year; eight time All-Pro; All-NFL Team of the Decade for the 1980s

OT -- Willie Roaf (*) -- 6'5", 320lbs -- 13yr career -- 10 time All-Pro; All-NFL Team of the Decade for the 1990s

QB -- Otto Graham -- 6'1", 196lbs -- 10yr career -- went to league championship game every year he played, winning seven times; was nine time "all league" (a precursor to All-Pro); All-NFL 75 Year Anniversary Team

DE -- Bruce Smith (*) -- 6'4", 265lbs -- 19yr career -- current NFL all-time sack leader; two time NFL Defensive Player of the Year; 11 time All-Pro; All-NFL Team of the Decade for the 1980s and 1990s

OT/OG -- Jim Parker -- 6'3", 273lbs -- 11yr career -- 1st full-time offensive lineman elected to the HOF; All-Pro left tackle from 1958-1962 and All-Pro left guard from 1962-1965 (yes, he won All-Pro honors as both a guard and a tackle in 1962); All-NFL 75 Year Anniversary Team

DE -- Gino Marchetti -- 6'4", 244lbs -- 13yr career -- named top DE of the NFLs first 50yrs; nine time "all NFL" (precursor to All-Pro); All-NFL 75 Year Anniversary Team

OT -- Jonathan Ogden (*) -- 6'9", 345lbs -- 12yr career -- nine time All-Pro left tackle

HC -- Paul Brown -- 167 - 53 - 8 during 17yr career, including winning seven championship games; only one losing season; originator of many 'firsts' for coaching and scouting.

Menudo:

O.k. My team strategy was to try to get a good nucleus on both sides of the ball, to go along with a great owner & coach.

OT -- Anthony Munoz - I couldn't resist him here, In my opinion, I got the best offensive lineman of all-time.

RB -- Barry Sanders - Imagine what this guy would have done on a good team. Here, he would have Munoz blocking for him, and a great passing game supporting him. Might have been the most talented RB of all-time.

QB -- Peyton Manning (*) - He WILL be in the argument of the best QB of all-time once his career is over. I love having him to lead my offense.

LB -- Jack Ham - Art Rooney & Chuck Noll have both stated, with all due respect to Jack Lambert, Ham was the best LB we ever had. High praise from people who would know best.

DT -- Randy White - I needed someone to anchor the front-line and Randy White fills that spot nicely.

CB/S -- Rod Woodson (*) - Woodson in his prime was an absolute game-changer. I believe he holds the record or is 2nd for interception returns for TD's in a career.

WR -- Randy Moss (*) - You don't need to like the guy, but, you have to respect what he has done. As far as physical talent, there might not have ever been a better WR. Peyton throwing to Moss would be a beautiful thing, just as it was from Brady last year.

LB -- Willie Lanier - Got an old-school Linebacker to help solidify what would be an incredible defense.

HC -- Chuck Noll - 4 Super Bowl victories, and his no nonsense style would be able to handle a group of Hall of Famers, including Randy Moss. His drafting skills were simply phenomenal.

Owner -- Art Rooney - No one can argue his greatness, and I'm biased, but, there is no one I'd rather have owning my team.

Locness Monster:

I wanted to build my team to do the following:

A) kill their QB - Lawrence Taylor

:wacko: protect my QB - Gary Zimmerman

C) stop the run - 3 DTs that all had pass rushing skills (Alan Page, John Randle and Warren Sapp), this goes back to (A)

D) take away their #1 WR threat - Deion Sanders

E) give my low budget QB a safety valve - Kellen Winslow

I would have liked to establish the run on O a bit better, but Bruce Matthews and Larry Allen were taken. I then drafted Joe Gibbs to coach up my low budget OL. Eventually I would have gone with a power backfield of Earl Campbell and Larry Csonka if the draft had continued a couple of additional rounds.

Other players: Michael Irvin ( WR ) and Mike Webster ( C )

Caveman Nick:

My thought process on building this team was that I wanted to make sure I won the trench war. Rush the passer. Run the ball. Stop the run. Defend the big play. Have a big play skill player. Be well prepared for any game.

DE -- Deacon Jones - my second choice at DE. LT being my first. But I am not disappointed. Deacon Jones doesn't have the recorded stats of LT, but he has similar cache.

OG -- John Hannah - Run the ball. Possibly the best all around O-Lineman ever.

LB -- Jack Lambert - Defend the run, QB the defense. MLB was the second most important defensive position to me after right DE

OT -- Walter Jones (*) - Another candidate for best all around o-lineman ever, and certainly one of the best left tackles ever. Much of Shaun Alexander's success came form running behind a great left side of his line.

OT -- Art Shell - And I am book ended. No worries about getting regularly beat by outside pass rushers on either side. Shell is also considered to be one of the top tackles ever to play, so I am very pleased to have 2 of them.

DE -- Howie Long - Obviously rushing the passer and defending against the pass rush are top priorities for me. Long gives me book end DEs that can really disrupt offensive flow, with lambert patrolling the middle to take care of RBs and TEs in that zone.

RB -- Ladanian Tomlinson (*) - One of the keys to this team's ability to score points. He can run through the holes created by that great o-line group and he can get into space and wreak havoc in the open field. He's still playing and is often in the conversation of best ever at his position. I doubt he will eclipse Jim Brown when the history book is closed, but I believe he will be regarded in the group of Emmet Smith, Barry Sanders, etc.

CB -- Mike Haynes - While those 2 ends rush the passer, Haynes is making sure that the opposing big play WR has a lanket on him.

HC -- Bill Belichick (*) - Many people hate him, but he can craft schemes with the best of them and creates a great team first atmosphere. IMO he is in the discussion as the best HC ever, and is the best in the last 15 years in my view.

QB -- Jim Kelly - This is the guy that I wanted after P Manning because he runs that quick pass offense as well as anyone that ever played. LTomlinson is an upgrade over Thurman Thomas, and together LT and Kelly will create much trouble for opposing defenses.

Kansas State 2000:

Every player on my team except TO is a member of the 75th Anniversary All-Time Team, I did not realize that while drafting but wow. I have an offense that is unstoppable unless of course it was to face my defense. QB Unitas throwing to either Rice or Owens and handing off to OJ while protected by Upshaw and Nagurski … very solid. The defense will be very mean and physical with Lilly on the line, Night Train on the #1 WR Landry on the #2 and Nitschke and Nagurski in the middle. You will not run against us period. The coach is the all-time best NFL coach, the one who invented many of today’s concepts and maintained success with 20 straight winning season. Tom Landry would not lose with this team … EVER.

WR -- Jerry Rice

Receptions - 1549

Yards - 22,895

TD’s - 207

13x Pro Bowl

12x All Pro

75th Anniversary All-Time Team

1980’s All-Decade Team

1990’s All-Decade Team

QB -- Johnny Unitas

Exceptional field leader, thrived on pressure. . .Led Colts to 1958, 1959 NFL crowns, Super Bowl V victory. . .All-NFL six seasons, Player of Year three times . . .MVP three times in 10 Pro Bowls. . . Completed 2,830 passes for 40,239 yards, 290 TDs. . .Threw at least one TD pass in 47 straight games. . .Had 26 games over 300 yards passing. 75th Anniversary All-Time Team

DT -- Bob Lilly

Cowboys' first-ever draft choice (1961), first Hall of Famer (1980). . . Foundation of great Dallas defensive units. . .Had unusual speed, strength, intelligence, recovery ability . . .All-NFL/NFC eight years. . . Named to 11 Pro Bowls. . .Played in five NFL/NFC title games, two Super Bowls. . . Missed just one game in 14 years. . . 75th Anniversary All-Time Team

LB -- Ray Nitschke

No. 3 draft pick, 1958. . .First Green Bay defender from 1960s to be enshrined. . . Exceptional team leader, tough, strong, fast. . .Savage defender on rushes, cat-like quick against passes. . . Named NFL's all-time top linebacker, 1969. . .All-NFL three years. . . Intercepted pass for TD in 1964 Pro Bowl. . .Had 25 career interceptions. . . MVP in 1962 NFL title game. 75th Anniversary All-Time Team

CB -- Dick "Night Train" Lane

Joined Rams as free agent after four years in Army. . .Set NFL interception record (14) as rookie, 1952. . . All-NFL six years. . .Named to seven Pro Bowls. . .Selected all-time NFL cornerback, 1969. . . Career interception record: 68 for 1,207 yards, five TDs. . .Gambler on field who made spectacular plays. . .Deadly open-field tackler. . .Very fast, agile, aggressive. . 75th Anniversary All-Time Team

RB -- OJ Simpson

Heisman Trophy winner, 1968. . .No. 1 NFL draft pick, 1969. . .Career highlighted by 2,003 yards rushing, 1973. . . Unanimous All-Pro, topped 1,000 yards rushing, 1972-1976. . .Won four NFL rushing titles. . . Career record: 11,236 yards rushing, 203 receptions, 990 yards kickoff returns, 14,368 combined net yards. . .In 1969 AFL All-Star game, five Pro Bowls. . .1973 Pro Bowl Player of the Game. . . 75th Anniversary All-Time Team

WR -- Terrell Owens

Receptions - 899

Yards – 13,334

TD’s - 133

6x All Pro

6x Pro Bowl

NFL record 20 receptions in a game

FB/LB -- Bronko Nagurski

Became pro football's symbol of power, ruggedness. . . A bulldozing runner on offense, a bone-crushing linebacker on defense. . . Gained 4031 yards in 9 seasons . . .All-NFL, 1932, 1933, 1934, 1936, 1937. . .His two TD passes clinched Bears' 1933 title win. . .Helped 1943 Bears to NFL crown after five-year retirement. . . 75th Anniversary All-Time Team

OG -- Gene Upshaw

First who played guard exclusively to enter Hall. . .No. 1 draft pick, 1967. . .Won regular left guard job as rookie. . . Played in 307 games altogether. . .Possessed size, speed, intelligence, intensity, exceptional leadership ability. . .Extremely effective leading sweeps. . .Played in 10 AFL/AFC title games, three Super Bowls, seven Pro Bowls. . .All-league seven years, second-team All-NFL four other times. 75th Anniversary All-Time Team

HC/CB/P -- Tom Landry

Perfected flex defense, multiple offense, revived shotgun (spread) offense. . .29-year tenure with one team tied NFL record. . .Career record: 270-178-6. . .270 wins third most ever. . .Had 20 straight winning seasons, five NFC titles, two Super Bowl wins. . . Defensive back, punter with Yankees (AAFC), Giants (NFL), 1949-1955.

Seahawks21:

When trying to figure out a direction for my team, I decided I wanted to go for the well-rounded approach, rather than focusing on a few areas to be really strong in. I actually outlined the exact positions I wanted, and then what players I was hoping to get for that position. Most of the examples of good/great teams I can remember have had very good players at almost all of the most important positions. I viewed the positions as QB, RB, WR, OT, DT, MLB, CB, SS & a coach. My picks in order:

Joe Greene--I needed to set the tone with a little attitude to build around. Mission accomplished.

Ronnie Lott-- The safety position is ultra-thin in the HOF, and I thought the dropoff after Lott was dramatic. Had to take him here.

Steve Largent--Wish I hadn't taken him, simply because I am interested in what value others might have put on "my hero". I still believe he is the 2nd best WR to ever play the game.

Jim Thorpe--I had planned on using my last pick on my RB, but with Thorpe still there in the 4th round, I felt it was somehow a disservice to him to let him sit there. Arguably the best athlete to ever live. He also may have been as good of a DB as he was a RB, so I will be playing him both ways, making room in the backfield for McElenny.

Brian Urlacher--I knew Singletary and Butkus would be off the board, but I thought I would be able to get similar value a few rounds later. MLB is pretty thin but an important position, I needed a stud and feel like I got one of the best ever.

Bill Walsh----Probably the most creative mind in the history of offensive NFL coaches. The rings don't hurt either. To me he is as far ahead of other coaches as Rice is to other receivers. Just think about how many offenses have won Super Bowl titles running the West Coast Offense.

Champ Bailey--I was really counting on Deion here. Then soon after, Night Train came off the board as well. With respect to Michael Haynes, I think Champ is a better player, and at such an important position, I think I fared pretty well for taking a corner so late.

Roosevelt Brown--Again, I was really counting on Walter Jones here and didn't really have a backup plan. All the other linemen I grew up idolizing were already gone, so I had to get creative. I actually called my grandfather and asked him who he thought the was the best tackle he had ever seen. Without hesitation he said Roosevelt Brown so I guess I will take his word for it.

Brett Favre--The streak of starts nearly would have been enough for me. I can't think of a guy I would have liked to play with more than Favre. Absolutely fearless leader, winner, and is just flat-out good.

Hugh "The King" Mcelhenny--I knew all along he would be my last pick. For those of you that don't know, "The King" was the original dancer. Unbelievably quick and explosive and while at the same time well rounded. Could catch and run. Kind of a small guy but had more than enough quicks to make up for it. Think "old school" Barry Sanders.

What I liked:

I love how well rounded my team is. I feel like I got arguably the best player at several different positions, or at least one of the best. I'm glad I took Bill Walsh when I did, but other than that, I'm quite glad I got Ronnie Lott in the 2nd.

What I wish I had done differently:

I wish I somehow would have ended up with Tony Gonzalez, just didn't have the room. I also wish I had gotten another offensive lineman, as you can't really have a great team without a few studs up front.

Cowboyz1:

QB -- Joe Montana

OT -- Jackie Slater

RB -- Gayle Sayers

LB -- Ray Lewis (*)

CB -- Mel Blount

LB -- Derrick Thomas (*)

DE -- Carl Eller

DT -- Merlin Olsen

WR -- Lynn Swann

HC -- Bill Parcells (*)

My goal was to put together a three stud combo on Offense that would be versital and unstopable. I achived this with Montana arguably the best QB of all time. He will be protected by Jackie Slater and handing off to Gayle Sayers to keep D's Honest. I wanted to put it all together with Bill Walsh but waited to late. I went with Bill Parcells because there is no other talent evaluator better save Jimmy Johnson. He is a great Defensive coach but conservative on O without having expolive game breakers on offense. Since I have gamebreaker on O I could go with a Defensive minded coach. On Defense I wanted to put together a team that would stop the run and rush the passer. I got the best sideline to sideline Linebacker in the business while also getting the best pass rush specialist in the business in the 3-4 rush backer role in Thomas. Olsen adn Eller are dominate and would have in playing the 2 tecnique in a 3-4. Mel Blount is my stud on the corner that can be phyisical with all Wide Outs. Bottom line is I wanted a very SMART team with speed. I got that. My core is very fast and capable of teaching and learning anything thrown at them on both sides of the ball. I got solid leadership at every position group. In essence this team will be able to win games on Offense with short passing game or deep ball with the greatest runner ever coming out of the backfiled. Lewis is the ultimate run stuffer and this team can stop the run and pressure the QB.

TFord:

My overall strategy was to use the swing picks at 10 and 1 to draft related positions, each swing allowing me build a significant area of my team. I wanted to have strong players at leadership positions on both offense and defense while trying to build a well rounded team centered on power running.

1.10 - Walter Payton RB

Easy pick here. With Jim Brown gone, Payton was my highest ranked RB. Would he have been picked here however, I would have gone OT then defense and selected a Gale Sayers type later.

2.01 - Bruce Matthews OT

Multiple all-pro tackle and guard, Matthews doesn't really get as much credit as he deserves in my opinion. Like any other team, your left tackle is arguably the most important position and I think Matthews would do fine in that regard.

3.10 - Chuck Bednarik C/LB

I believe that the Mike LB is an extremely important position on defense because of the leadership and cognitive abilities that a Mike on a good defense must have. Bednarik is a leader by example type and should be able to deliver the type of hits that make opposing runners think twice. His ability to play a solid center position as well makes his even more valuable.

4.01 - Larry Wilson S

In my opinion, probably the best box safety that has ever played the game. Wilson will be a difference maker in both run support as well as pass rush.

5.10 - Larry Allen OG (*)

My first future hall of famer, Allen is a no doubter once his time comes. A ferocious blocker that many defenders have come out and said that he was the hardest OL they had ever played against. The combination of Matthews, Bednarik and Allen will give Payton a dream left side to run behind.

6.01 - Dan Marino QB

There were other Qbs available here but I chose Marino for the simple fact that he has a Brady-like quality of making his receivers much better than they actually are. At this point in the draft, I quickly realized that I would likely not secure a star WR so a premier QB who can elevate the play of the pass-catchers around him was key.

7.10 - Bobby Bell DE/LB

Needed a pure pass rusher to make my defense more dangerous. Bell was the best player available. His versatility of being able to play both DE and LB with allow of more flexibility on defense.

8.01 - Mike Ditka TE/HC

Tagging Ditka as a player coach might be a head-scratcher but I would argue that Ditka could run a power running offense as well as any. Besides, a team as stacked as any of teams in the HOF will likely not need the type of head coaching that many HOF coaches would provide. Selecting Ditka here gives me 10 HOF caliber players, something no other team has. Not to mention Ditka has the perfect mix of blocking and catching skills that TEs dream about.

9.10 - Will Shields OG (*)

My second future Hall of famer, Shields is cast in the same mold as Allen. Superior run blocking abilities from the guard position and multiple all-pro selections. Shields will play the right guard spot giving me four out of five o-line positions filled.

10.01 - Michael Strahan DE (*)

The one pick I made that I didn't immediately like. At this point in the draft, I had a couple needs. CB, DL, WR and maybe other LB. If there was a CB available that I had liked, I would have gone that way. Similarly, I felt that there wasn't a WR that I liked at this point either. Strahan was the best defensive player available in my opinion.

Breaking down my draft, I feel that my power running offense will be among the best in comparison to most other teams in the draft. Similarly, my pass protection should also be among the best. Having solid MLB and SS selections should me quality run stuffing although having a good DT would go alot farther in that regard. Marino and Ditka will do what they can but I believe that my pass offense could be better. Similarly, Bell and Strahan will be quality players for pass rush but I can't argue that there are much better units out there. My biggest weakness is easily my lack of a cover corner. I failed to get one and that will likely be the cause of matchup problems compared to other teams in the draft.

...discuss...

Edited by muck

It's funny, every time I look over each team, I'm like "wow, that team is really good." I guess that is why they are all in the HOF. In the end, as painful as it is, I voted Menudo's team. Toughness in the right spots, studs everywhere else, and lots of winners up and down. That said, I don't see how my team would ever lose. Oh, the possibilities.....!!!

Most people are to young probably to see how good my team is, i have players that are not mentioned much anymore unless they are talking all time greats. I think mine is very good but all teams are also very good, it's hard (that's WHAT??? she said) to go wrong with a HOF draft.

I was pissed at your Nagurski pick, if that's any consolation.

PS -- I don't get the infatuation with Menudo's "I only need two linemen" team...

PS -- I don't get the infatuation with Menudo's "I only need two linemen" team...

:wacko:

:D

Perhaps, some people appreciate balance and a foundation in each area..............

Offense (5)

2 OL

1 QB

1 RB

1 WR

Defense (4)

1 DL

2 LB

1 DB

Management (2)

1 Owner

1 Coach

Foundation is set, with my remaining picks, I fill in the gaps.

Edited by Menudo

I see Page and Eller were taken but a strong argument can be made that Jim Marshall should be as well.

The original NFL Iron Man. Favre won't break his games played streak until week 9... in 2009. He won't break Marshall's consecutive start streak until week 4... 2010.

Marshall wasn't a big stats guy at DE. He only made 2 Pro Bowls but that kind of consistency and durability absolutely contributed to the outstanding careers of Page and Eller.

In fact, all 4 of the Purple People Eaters deserve a nod... but, IMO, Marshall was the foundation.