[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just got a deer backstrap/tenderloin

peteteacher2001

cut into 2 inch chunks

get 1 quart apple cider, 1 1/2 pounds thick sliced bacon, 2 (12 ounce) bottles barbecue sauce, your choice

Place chunks of venison into a shallow baking dish, and pour enough apple cider in to cover them. Cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours. Remove, and pat dry. Discard apple cider, and return venison to the dish. Pour barbeque sauce over the chunks, cover, and refrigerate for 2 to 3 more hours.

Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat. Charcoal is best, but if you must, use gas. Remove meat from the refrigerator, and let stand for 30 minutes, or until no longer chilled. Wrap each chunk of venison in a slice of bacon, and secure with toothpicks.

Brush the grill grate with olive oil when hot, and place venison pieces on the grill so they are not touching. The bacon will kick up some flames, so be ready. Grill, turning occasionally, until the bacon becomes slightly burnt, 15 to 20 minutes. The slower, the better.

I googled this when my brother hit and killed a massive deer a year or so ago, we had it hauled and cut and ended up with more meat than we knew what to do with, we gave away a bunch of it and tried a few different recipes with the rest, this was the best of them by far! i keep it on file now.

hope this helps, enjoy

Treat it like premium steak - that's what it is. I don't marinate such choice cuts. I cut wild tenderloins at least an inch thick, rub with S&P & EVOO and grill on high to med. rare. Save the fancy marinades for lesser cuts, IMO.

Edited by Jimmy Neutron

Treat it like premium steak - that's what it is. I don't marinate such choice cuts. I cut wild tenderloins at least an inch thick, rub with S&P & EVOO and grill on high to med. rare. Save the fancy marinades for lesser cuts, IMO.

Exactly.

Spot on.

That there's gospel.