[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chicken recipes

Missoula Griz

You will thank me later. You can do this in an oven but it tastes much better from the grill.

If you do a beer can chicken you will never go wrong. Here's my favorite rub for this. It's not the Magic Dust, but pretty damn close. Makes enough for one bird.

1 Tbs Paprika

1 Tbs Kosher Salt

1 Tbs black pepper

1 tsp chile powder

1 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)

Coat the inside and the outside of a 3-4 lbs roasting chicken with this rub. Take a 16 oz beer can and pull the top off. Pour half of the beer in a glass. Take a church key and put two more holes in the top of the beer can. pour any remaining rub in the beer can. Shove the can up the bird's ass. Position on the grill using the birds legs to prop chicken up. You can fit two of these in a Weber Kettle or three of them in a Weber gas grill. Cook over indirect medium heat for 1 1/2 hours. Pull off the grill and let chicken rest for 15 minutes. Carve and serve.

If you don't know about grilling using direct v indirect heat, go to http://www.weber.com for a primer. This knowledge alone will increase your grill mastery quickly.

Here is one thats so easy even a fisherman could do it:

bunch of boneless chicken breasts, pounded down a little and rinsed

Put one part mayo and 2 parts your favorite bbq sauce in a gallon ziplock, just enought to coat the amount of chicken you have

Toss in chicken and mix it all up. Let set in fridge for a few hours.

Grill over direct medium heat until just done (couple minutes per side, don;t overcook or they'll get dry)

Done and good.

Grill boneless, skinless breasts over low heat, basting every few minutes with EVOO, minced garlic, S&P and a squeeze of lemon or lime juice very few minutes. Cooked slow and basted often, even boneless, skinless will turn out juicy. Try adding a splash of tequila if you feel so inclined.

A no-brainer is to just grill it with salt and pepper then finish them off with some herb infused butter. Basil is pretty good.

Here's a non-healthy way that I've been doing for years:

Flatten boobs (4-6) with a mallet then dredge in flour

Brown in 2 tbsps of butter. Probably about 3-4 mins per side. I'll do it in batches.

Remove chicken and set in a greased baking dish

Saute 1carton of mushrooms in butter (3tbsp) (use same pan)

Transfer over to baking dish and spread over chicken

In same pan, pour 1/2 cup of marsala wine and a 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Simmer for about 10 mins while deglazing pan.

Pour over chicken and mushrooms and shove in the oven for 10 mins at 400.

After 10 mins, take out and shred fontina (1/2cup) and grate 1/2 cup of Parmesan over entire dish then shove it back in the oven for 5 more minutes. I'll adjust the cheese depending on how fat I want to be the following day.

Easy recipe.

Edited by twiley

My kids and wife love the way I do chicken fingers:

Throw skinless tenders in an egg bath - roll in crushed Ritz cracker/S&P mix and fry in your favorite light cooking oil. Darn tasty and still pretty good for you if you use a lighter oil.

Throw skinless tenders in an egg bath - roll in crushed Ritz cracker/S&P mix and fry in your favorite light cooking oil. Darn tasty and still pretty good for you if you use a lighter oil.

I think the kids will like this. I am unfamiliar at frying. I assume using a deep pan. 3 questions.

1) From 1-10 on the dial, at which level do I heat the oil?

2) How much oil do I put in the pan?

3) How long do I cook the chicken?

Thanks again everyone for their input.

Rookie cook here.

I think the kids will like this. I am unfamiliar at frying. I assume using a deep pan. 3 questions.

1) From 1-10 on the dial, at which level do I heat the oil? 7-7.5 (325-350 degrees)

2) How much oil do I put in the pan? if deepfrying, enough to cover completely. if pan frying, and inch or so.

3) How long do I cook the chicken? if deepfrying, til they float (7-9 mins?), if pan depends on size, but until they reach a deep golden brown. say five mins on first side and 3-4 on second.

After done, take 3-4 tablespoons of the used oil, mix with 2-3 tablespoons flour and cook over 7-7.5 until starts to turn slightly brown. mix in 2 cups milk slowy while "stirring with a fork" so it does not seperate. Salt and pepper to taste. within 5-10 mins you'll have a respectable white gravy. Butter can be substituted for the Oil in gravy.

Thanks again everyone for their input.

Rookie cook here.

mg, you caught me on vacation... not doing recipes until i get back. i know enough about our posters to know that you'd get good responses.

my appologies.

Yea, my family likes your info. :wacko: Wife is amazed I have started to cook something other than barbacue.

maybe after the fact, but if you do a search for chicken in here you'll find a lot....

off the top of my head:

marsala

piccata

parmigiana

coq au vin

jerk

several years ago i gave bc about 10 marinades

i am not sure if i've posted it, but i do a honey/lavender chicken/duck/turkey

Edited by Bier Meister

I cook boneless/skinless breasts probably once or twice a week; it's my default 'Daddy's Making Yummy Dinner' meal. You'll need:

* big ovenproof pan or skillet

* boneless skinless chicken breasts -- Meijer will put these on 60% sale every other week, I usually buy four or five packages and freeze 'em

* (optional) a dry spice rub or marinade

* chicken stock (I usually use Emeril's brand or Meijer organic)

* butter (I usually use Meijer organic unsalted, or farmer's market fresh churned stuff if I'm rich thatweek :wacko: )

Rinse off the breasts, then pat them dry with paper towels (WASH HANDS, etc.!). If using a rub or marinade, either rub in the rub, or submerse the breasts in the marinade, and let sit for at least an hour or two before continuing. If not, then trim the fat (if you feel like it) and season with (kosher) salt and (fresh ground) pepper. Preheat the oven to 325. Get the pan warm, medium-low (I usually set my electric burner at like 4/10). Add like a teaspoonish of (peanut/olive) oil. Let the oil melt, it should slide around but not smoke. Put the breasts in there, oil should sizzle pretty good but not pop or sputter like a fryer. Brown the breasts, like 4-6 minutes, then flip and go another 4-6. As they're roasting on the bottom side, put a thin pat of butter on top of each one, plus a couple-three thick pats in between 'em in the pan. If you aren't using a rub or marinade, sprinkle some (fresh) herbs in there. Once done browning the bottom side, pull from the heat and put a cup-ish of the chicken stock in there. To the oven, 12-15 minutes depending on how thick the breasts are. Basting the breasts once or twice toward the end never hurts.

At one point, I noticed that 12-15 minutes is the perfect amount of time to cook pasta al dente, drain it, and sauce it. I usually set a big pot of water on to boil at the outset of this whole process, and after I put the chicken in the oven I put pasta in the water. For a veggie, I like to cheat and use Del Monte canned prepared veggie dishes. They have like french cut green beans with red pepper and onion, green beans and diced potatoes, etc. I can dump a can or two in a bowl and nuke it while the pasta's cooking. It'll all finish together hot and fresh.

I know this all looks like a lot of work--but I've really got it down to a science now, and it makes a big, fresh, healthy dinner for pretty damn cheap. $3-4 for the chicken package (when on sale), and the pasta and canned veggies are $2-3 each. Keep switching up rubs and marinades, try roasting fresh veggies instead of the canned stuff (produce is cheap!), make garlic bread or roasted potatoes instead of pasta, etc.

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

heat a few tbs EVOO and butter in your biggest pan. ( I think mine's 14 inch) at about 7 on your 1-10 scale

flatten boneless breasts to about 1/4 inch, cut them in half then season with s+p and dredge in flour.

Brown chicken on both sides sides and put them on a platter. Add a few TBS. flour to to the pan and stir it around for a minute or 2, mixing it into your fat then toss a few cloves of garlic, minced and stir just for about 30 secs.

Deglaze with with wine, ( I use strawberry zinfandel, take that wine snobs! :wacko: ) about 1 1/2 cups. Let that simmer pretty hard for maybe 5 minutes. Add about 2 cups chicken stock, a handful of chopped parsley and a couple tbs of butter, let it come up to temp. (a simmer.)

add chicken back into your sauce for a few minutes. I squeeze just a little lemon juice over the whole thing just before serving if I have any on hand.

my kids favorite dinner.

My family loves the way you do chicken fingers also. :D I tried it last night. I used your recipe and KOK's direction on how to fry. I will use this one often.

I realized just recently there is a correlation between more lovin from the wife and cooking dinner. She thinks its sexy that I have started to cook more.

Thanks in more way than one brothers.... :wacko:

I call it Greek chicken, very easy to make.

Get a whole chicken and cut it in half and put it in a baking pan. Then drizzle both halves with a little Olive Oil. Next (and I don't measure but don't be afraid to use) season with

1. Salt

2. Pepper

3. Garlic power

4. Thyme

5. Basil

6. Marjoram

7. Parsley

8. Greek Oregano (or Regular)

Next get a 2-4 sweet (or white) onions, quarter it and spread it all around the pan. Finally, pour about a cup of water in the pan.

Pop it in the oven at 350 for 1 and 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour. Check it at at the half way point to make sure the water isn't gone

The chicken has a great crunch on the outside, and will be so tender...... And eat it with those onions.

Feel free to use, replace, or ignore some of the spices. And like I said, I don't measure, just season as much or litttle as you like.

My family loves the way you do chicken fingers also. :D I tried it last night. I used your recipe and KOK's direction on how to fry. I will use this one often.

I realized just recently there is a correlation between more lovin from the wife and cooking dinner. She thinks its sexy that I have started to cook more.

Thanks in more way than one brothers.... :wacko:

Glad your family enjoyed. :D

You are on to one of the great secrets in life with your wife. A little effort in the kitchen can elicit more heat in the bedroom. :D

Here is one thats so easy even a fisherman could do it:

bunch of boneless chicken breasts, pounded down a little and rinsed

Put one part mayo and 2 parts your favorite bbq sauce in a gallon ziplock, just enought to coat the amount of chicken you have

Toss in chicken and mix it all up. Let set in fridge for a few hours.

Grill over direct medium heat until just done (couple minutes per side, don;t overcook or they'll get dry)

Done and good.

Yes, vey simple. Did this one last night. Chicken was very moist.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stealing the recipe from Emeril. Everybody loves this. Making the stuffing is the most work, but I make big batches and freeze it.

--------------------------

Mushroom Stuffing:

1 tablespoon olive oil

12 ounces assorted mushrooms, stems trimmed and coarsely chopped

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

2 tablespoons minced shallots

2 teaspoons minced garlic

2 tablespoons dry white wine

2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan

2 tablespoons dried fine bread crumbs

2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley

1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil

1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano

Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are wilted and begin to caramelize. Add the shallots and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the wine and cook, stirring to loosen any browned bits in the pan, and until the liquid has almost all evaporated, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer the mushrooms to the bowl of a food processor. Add the cheese, bread crumbs, parsley, basil, and oregano, and process on high speed to a thick paste.

---------------------------

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Place the chicken breast between sheets of plastic wrap and pound, with the flat side of a meat mallet to 1/4-inch thickness. Pat dry with paper towels.

Place 1 ball of mushroom stuffing along 1/2 of each chicken piece. Tuck the short ends in and, starting at 1 long side, roll up the chicken into a tight cylinder. Fasten with toothpicks. Season with salt and pepper.

In a large, non-stick skillet, heat oil over high heat. Add the stuffed chicken and cook, turning, until brown on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and place in the oven. Bake until cooked through, about 7 minutes. Alternately, cover the skillet and cook over low heat until the chicken is cooked through, about 6 minutes.