[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

any good vegan recipes?

Azazello1313

my wife's folks, who are vegan, are going to be in town for a few days in the middle of november. anyone have any good ideas what to cook for them?

one thing I was thinking of is a veggie gumbo. can make the roux witfh olive oil or veggie oil, then lots of okra, and onion, bell pepper and celery. should I just leave it like that, or maybe find some "protein" to put in as well? faux sausage? tofu would just be too ghey and weird. beans? beans in gumbo would be sacreligious. I dunno, I'll figure something out. but I would greatly welcome some ideas for other dishes.

How 'bout black bean chili with butternut squash? The greens cookbook has a great recipe for black bean chili that uses some chipotle to bring a smokiness that often comes from meat product. Aside from that, it's pretty basic. Sweat onions, garlic, then however much of the canned chipotle as you want, a can of tomato, some toasted and ground cumin, and coriander. Then add to the beans (either canned or soaked and cooked in water. Simmer 'til done.

Meanwhile, roast cubed butternut squash chunks. Fold them in right before service and garnish with chopped cilantro.

I share your opinion that meat is meat and typically shun fake meat foods. That said, we sell a bloody ton of a mock chicken made from TVP by a company called Delight Foods. I don't think it reminds me of chicken at all but it is tasty in its own right.

I also make a mock oyster sauce from Braggs Liquid Aminos, rice vinegar, brown sugar, and corn starch. Braising Bock choy with Athenaake mushrooms, garlic and that sauce is pretty damned tasty.

To make a mock beef stock, brown your carrot, celery, onion, add tomato and mushroom scraps and then a small handfull of Sichuan dried black beans. They're dry like raisins, not like typical dried beans. Essentially, they toss beans in salt and the salt dries them out. They add a saltiness but also a earthiness and the resulting stock tastes a whole lot like beef stock. That's a nice trick to have up your sleeve when cooking for commies, I mean vegans.

Cauliflower is another very meaty tasting vegetable. Work that into any stew, especially along with mushrooms and that can be nice.

Hope that helps.

I've recently started cooking with eggplant, which I'd never paid much attention to. It's pretty versatile and has an interesting flavor. So far I've used it breaded and fried in a parmesan, grilled and I'm going to try a baba ganoush next.

How 'bout black bean chili with butternut squash? The greens cookbook has a great recipe for black bean chili that uses some chipotle to bring a smokiness that often comes from meat product. Aside from that, it's pretty basic. Sweat onions, garlic, then however much of the canned chipotle as you want, a can of tomato, some toasted and ground cumin, and coriander. Then add to the beans (either canned or soaked and cooked in water. Simmer 'til done.

Meanwhile, roast cubed butternut squash chunks. Fold them in right before service and garnish with chopped cilantro.

I share your opinion that meat is meat and typically shun fake meat foods. That said, we sell a bloody ton of a mock chicken made from TVP by a company called Delight Foods. I don't think it reminds me of chicken at all but it is tasty in its own right.

I also make a mock oyster sauce from Braggs Liquid Aminos, rice vinegar, brown sugar, and corn starch. Braising Bock choy with Athenaake mushrooms, garlic and that sauce is pretty damned tasty.

To make a mock beef stock, brown your carrot, celery, onion, add tomato and mushroom scraps and then a small handfull of Sichuan dried black beans. They're dry like raisins, not like typical dried beans. Essentially, they toss beans in salt and the salt dries them out. They add a saltiness but also a earthiness and the resulting stock tastes a whole lot like beef stock. That's a nice trick to have up your sleeve when cooking for commies, I mean vegans.

Cauliflower is another very meaty tasting vegetable. Work that into any stew, especially along with mushrooms and that can be nice.

Hope that helps.

I'm hardly a vegan but these all sound friggin' delicious! Thanks Det!

greens is a great book. when are they coming...happy to lend it to you.

Though it should be noted that restaurant is anything but vegan. I've never worked at a place that used more butter, cream, and cheese. Mind you they were serving meat-free food to a bunch of people who typically ate meat, so you've got to do what you've got to do.

my wife's folks, who are vegan, are going to be in town for a few days in the middle of november. anyone have any good ideas what to cook for them?

one thing I was thinking of is a veggie gumbo. can make the roux witfh olive oil or veggie oil, then lots of okra, and onion, bell pepper and celery. should I just leave it like that, or maybe find some "protein" to put in as well? faux sausage? tofu would just be too ghey and weird. beans? beans in gumbo would be sacreligious. I dunno, I'll figure something out. but I would greatly welcome some ideas for other dishes.

:wacko: Gumbo with out boneless chicken breasts, German sausage, canned okra and clam juice...

:wacko: Gumbo with out boneless chicken breasts, German sausage, canned okra and clam juice...

...is actually better than gumbo with boneless chicken breast, german sausage, canned okra, etc because chicken leg meat is better, you're supposed to use andouille (sp?), canned veggies taste like ass, and don't get me started on clam juice.

...is actually better than gumbo with boneless chicken breast, german sausage, canned okra, etc because chicken leg meat is better, you're supposed to use andouille (sp?), canned veggies taste like ass, and don't get me started on clam juice.

I was referring to Az's other gumbo recipe

That thread still makes me chuckle.

• 2 weeks later...

made this last night and it was excellent. :wacko: the heat from the chipotles was a bit much for one or two folks, but I thought I kept it very mild. I'll probably make this again even when the vegan inlaws aren't around.

made this last night and it was excellent. :wacko: the heat from the chipotles was a bit much for one or two folks, but I thought I kept it very mild. I'll probably make this again even when the vegan inlaws aren't around.

One way to get the flavor without the heat is to use the juice in the can but leave the chiles whole so you can remove them at the end. Then, the badasses can chop them into their bowls and those less so will have a somewhat milder chili.

None the less, glad you liked it.

I just made a roasted edamame salas tonight and it came out quite nice. (recipe courtesy of Alton brown and a late night Good Eats viewing on my part)

In a 9x16 roasting pan, combine 12 ounces of shelled edamame (frsh or frozen, I just used a 16 ounce frozen bag), 1/2 cup of corn, minced clove of garliz, 1/4 cup chopped green onion, tablespoon of olive oil and salt and pepper.

Roast at 400 for 12-15 minutes.

Put in fridge to cool.

Once it is cool, add 1 cup of chopped tomato, 1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil and a tablespoon of red wine vinegar.

Put in fridge, preferable for a few hours.

Serve cold or at room temperature.

It was actually very tasty and the edamame gives it a very solid punch of protein.

• 7 months later...
bump for any other interesting ideas, as they'll be back in town this weekend. I'll probably make the black bean/butt. squash chili again, that was good, and that edamame salad sounds like a nice lunch idea.

Frak, I forgot about this. Ms Cid has a bunch of cold soup recipes for the summer (strawberry, peach and the ever popular gazpacho), some Indian recipes, and an assortment of many other things. She has all of the Moosewood cookbooks and one called The Horn of the Moon Cookbook that is also pretty decent (the popovers are extrodinary). I've got to fly here in couple minutes, I'll try and remember this time to put up some of the things we have.