[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What do you put in your Bloody Mary's?

gilthorp

I hardly make my own bloody's from scratch...especially when there are a lot of great mixes out there...mainly Major Peters and now I've found Mike Ditka's mix, which is surprisingly good.

Recently, I've been finding jumbo cooked shrimp at the local market, and is there anything better than a big prawn in your bloody mary?

My Bloody formula is very simple, but I've not varied it for years & never had a complaint ... I don't have exact measurements, mostly because everything is added "to taste" depending on how hot or whatever you want things:

- good vodka

- seasoned salt

- fresh ground black pepper

- Tabasco or Frank's Red Hot sauce

- Worcestershire

- lemon juice (fresh if you are ambitious, although the bottled kind is ok too ... but don't be bashful about the amount added)

- V8 juice (better flavor IMO than plain old tomato juice)

- dash of ketchup (this is optional, try it with & without, then decide which you like better)

- shake well to mix

Recipe:

Stolly

tomatoe juice

hot horse radish

worstechire

Tabasco

salt

pepper

lemon juice

Garnish:

Never tried shrimp, but lke the idea (would have to be jumbo)

celery stick (one end cut lenghtwise so it holds more liquid)

carrot (same as above)

diced cilantro

Untested ideas:

chunk of avacado

anchovie stuffed olives

Pickled green bean

I got turned on to this when I was in Key West a couple of years ago. I now get them shipped up for my Bloody Marys. I've also made a snack version with a combination of a green pepper ring, a ring of onion, pepperoni and cheese.

• 10 months later...
I hardly make my own bloody's from scratch...especially when there are a lot of great mixes out there...mainly Major Peters and now I've found Mike Ditka's mix, which is surprisingly good.

Recently, I've been finding jumbo cooked shrimp at the local market, and is there anything better than a big prawn in your bloody mary?

When I first tried a bloody mary years & years ago I didn't like it. Last weekend I tried one again & loved it. Being that we had just eaten a plate of raw oysters I thought it might be good to try one in my bloody mary the next chance I get. Shrimp sounds pretty tasty as well.

Here's how I do it.

Smirnoff vodka

V8 juice

1 heaping teaspoon (the eating kind, not the measuring kind) prepared horseradish

1/4 tsp lemon juice

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper

1/4 tsp salt

4 drops Worchesterchire sauce

4 drops Tabasco sauce

Fill a pint glass with ice. Fill half way with vodka. Fill to top with V8 juice. Add the remaining ingredients and stir. Garnish with olives, celery, pepperoni, cheddar cheese, pickled green beans, cooked shrimp or any other item wou may find complimentary.

WOW, there are some really good recepies and ideas for Bloody's...Here is all I usually drink for a Bloody...The Golf course bev cart Bloody...must be very simple b/c you are limited in supplies and space (have trained our bev cart giril, though)...

Kettle One (Lots)

V8 Hot and Spicy

Worseteshire

Tobacso

Pepper

Lime Optional (I think lime ruins it)

This is the express version of Bloody Mary's, perfect for the golf course. Cheers!

Personally, I like vodka with V8 Splash, strawberry/kiwi and lime ~OR~ Vodka with Sprite and Cranberry.

Always make in shaker. Always lots of Ice, half Vodka and 3/8 mix (leaves space in shaker) and squeezed lime and then shake and serve.

In the summer, V8 Splash tropical with rum goes down mighty easy. It's got a nice little mango fruity thing going.