[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

AP/USA Today polls

budlitebrad

AP Top 25

1. Alabama (46) 9-0 1,600

2. Texas Tech (12) 9-0 1,528

3. Penn State (6) 9-0 1,525

4. Florida (1) 7-1 1,398

5. Texas 8-1 1,353

6. Oklahoma 8-1 1,324

7. USC 7-1 1,250

8. Oklahoma State 8-1 1,198

9. Boise State 8-0 1,030

10. Utah 9-0 1,028

11. TCU 9-1 958

12. Ohio State 7-2 898

13. Missouri 7-2 830

14. Georgia 7-2 808

15. LSU 6-2 746

16. Ball State 8-0 594

17. Brigham Young 8-1 536

18. Michigan State 8-2 456

19. North Carolina 6-2 418

20. West Virginia 6-2 303

21. California 6-2 288

22. Georgia Tech 7-2 286

23. Maryland 6-2 242

24. Florida State 6-2 128

25. Pittsburgh 6-2 96

USA Today Poll

1. Alabama (40) 9-0 1,498

2. Penn State (14) 9-0 1,437

3. Texas Tech (6) 9-0 1,409

4. Oklahoma (1) 8-1 1,290

5. Florida 7-1 1,268

6. USC 7-1 1,232

7. Texas 8-1 1,227

8. Oklahoma State 8-1 1,066

9. Utah 9-0 1,018

10. Boise State 8-0 958

11. TCU 9-1 862

12. Ohio State 7-2 843

13. Missouri 7-2 794

14. Georgia 7-2 693

15. LSU 6-2 683

16. Brigham Young 8-1 591

17. Michigan State 8-2 516

18. Ball State 8-0 503

19. North Carolina 6-2 359

20. Georgia Tech 7-2 289

21. Maryland 6-2 243

22. California 6-2 192

23. West Virginia 6-2 172

24. Florida State 6-2 150

25. Northwestern 7-2 120

Polls are a complete sham as exampled here.

OU higher then Texas :wacko: How can anyone with any common sense about themselves whatsoever rank OU ahead of Texas considering they lost H2H ?

You're joking right? Do you think Oregon State should be ranked ahead of USC?

You must be pulling my chain. Are you seriously trying to content that OU should be ranked ahead of Texas after losing to them 2 weeks ago ?

:wacko:

In my poll FLA is 1 and OU is 2. So yeah, I think OU should be ranked ahead of UT. Texas hasnt looked nearly as impressive the last 2 weeks, and OU has been flat out dominate. This is how polls are dumb ass. Its who is playing better right now. Dont you have some formula to get OSU back in the NC game to work on. You should stay out of these types of discussions until you figure that out. :D

Please also use your reasoning to explain why Florida is ahead of Mississippi.

I'll wait patiently.

Pretty easy logic, both teams have 1 loss. (TX and OU) They don't each have 1 loss in the case of (UF/Miss) or (USC/Or St). However, the pollsters view it is... well at the beginning of the season, since we know it all, we had OU ranked higher than Texas. But even though Texas beat Oklahoma, we still believe Oklahoma is better.

My personal opinion is if OU and Texas lined up again, I think OU would come out on top. However, if I was ranking it, keeping the BCS dumbass system in mind, I don't honestly see how you can rank Texas lower than Oklahoma, when they have wins over Oklahoma (right there is enough for me), Missouri (highly overrated but still a quality win), and Oklahoma State. Oklahoma's claim to fame thus far this year? TCU (mid major). Again, it gets back to these polls being ego-driven.

OU and USC move down as TTech and Florida both move up.

BCS Standings

1 Alabama

2 Texas Tech

3 Penn State

4 Texas

5 Florida

6 Oklahoma

7 Southern Cal

8 Utah

9 Oklahoma St.

10 Boise St.

11 Ohio St.

12 Texas Christian

13 Georgia

14 Missouri

15 Brigham Young

I'm a bit disappointed that Tech bumped up that much, but, I'm still happy with Saturday's results. If Texas won, they would have smooth sailing into the NC game. Texas Tech still has some major tests on their schedule, as does Alabama. I still think that if PSU takes care of business in their last three games, they will be playing for a title.

If Alabama and Texas Tech go undefeated, as much as it would suck as a PSU fan, they would deserve to play for the title, due to being in stronger conferences.

Edited by Menudo

From a purely selfish point of view, Florida can potentially have the opportunity to play Alabama. Therefore, we need two of TT, Texas, or Penn State to hiccup. There is also the possibility that if Florida wins out and can remain as dominant as they have been of late, that they can leap Texas. A man has to have dreams.

From a purely selfish point of view, Florida can potentially have the opportunity to play Alabama. Therefore, we need two of TT, Texas, or Penn State to hiccup. There is also the possibility that if Florida wins out and can remain as dominant as they have been of late, that they can leap Texas. A man has to have dreams.

PSU is not likely to lose. TT could lose their next two. Texas finishing strong and and beating Mizzou in the Big XII CG would not help them the way UF getting to and beating an unbeaten or 1 loss Bama would. Jumping Texas is not out of the question for the Gators.

Pretty easy logic, both teams have 1 loss. (TX and OU) They don't each have 1 loss in the case of (UF/Miss) or (USC/Or St). However, the pollsters view it is... well at the beginning of the season, since we know it all, we had OU ranked higher than Texas. But even though Texas beat Oklahoma, we still believe Oklahoma is better.

My personal opinion is if OU and Texas lined up again, I think OU would come out on top. However, if I was ranking it, keeping the BCS dumbass system in mind, I don't honestly see how you can rank Texas lower than Oklahoma, when they have wins over Oklahoma (right there is enough for me), Missouri (highly overrated but still a quality win), and Oklahoma State. Oklahoma's claim to fame thus far this year? TCU (mid major). Again, it gets back to these polls being ego-driven.

Oklahoma didn't beat Texas because they are not very good on defense. Great offense with an outstanding QB but their "middle of the road" on the defensive side of the ball and don't deserve to be in the Top 5.

Alabama

Florida

USC

Texas Tech

Penn St.

If we've learned anything this season it's that the voters have no problem at all jumping teams over others after big wins. As has been stated, FLA beating Alabama in the SEC title game will likely be seen as a "better" win than UT beating Mizzou. Thus, I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see FL jump into the top 2 (assuming, of course, that TT loses at least once.

Oh and Double Agent, allow me to also remind you what a stupid point you're trying to make. In fact, I feel silly even bothering. Arguing that, among two elite programs, you should rank the team that won the head to head match-up ahead of the other is an entirely different thing than saying that no team should ever be ranked ahead of a team that beat them. The latter inevitably leads to an impossible string of if-then relationships for starters.

Now, if OU beats TT, then all bets are off in terms of how you want those teams ranked because you will have a bit of a circle jerk.

However, for now it seems pretty straight forward. UT's best win is vs OU and that is seemingly a better win than OUs best win vs TCU. Meanwhile, UT's loss came at the hands of the team currently ranked #2 while OU's came at the hands of UT. So, besides the fact that you have the head to head factor, there's no compelling reason why you can rank OU ahead of UT, at least given the evidence at hand. You can think OU is better but allowing that to override the rather clear evidence through results of games played that UT should be ranked ahead of them is a disservice to the game.

I agree IF the Gators get an undefeated Alabama team. IF Bama slips up, then we'll see. But it does bring up the question again...

For all of this crybaby talk about how the Big Ten doesn't have a championship game... having a championship game has very rarely been a burden for those that took the big pay day. You can look back and say that only 2 of the 10 years did it actually hurt a highly ranked team. Kansas State in 1998, and Tennessee/Texas in 2001. No sympathy at all for Texas in 01' as they had already beat Colorado, and then proceeded to lose their bowl game, and Colorado got destroyed in theres. Nebraska benefitted from not even playing in the Big 12 Championship. So a Big 12 team benefitted from another Big 12's team loss. So really, only Tennessee was "burdened" with the big pay day. Since then.... in 2003 Oklahoma LOSES, and still is ranked #1 in the BCS. That same year, it's very safe to say that LSU doesn't jump USC without the blowout win over Georgia in the SEC CG. Fast forward to 2006, and Florida gets the extra win in the SEC CG, and nips Michigan at the buzzer. And even last year, LSU had an extra game to redeem themselves. So lets end the crybaby nonsense. My opinion on this has always been, if your school/conference signed on the dotted line, and is willing to accept the big pay day that comes with having a championship game, then certainly you should be equally willing to accept any results. The ACC didn't raid the Big East to make their league "more competitive". Conference USA didn't go out of there way to add teams so that their conference would be viewed more respectably. They did it because they've seen that the SEC and Big 12 have been making a killing on these title games, because they essentially turn into bowl games, where the whole national focus is centered squarely on them. So stop the sniffling.

Edited by GWPFFL BrianW

Oklahoma didn't beat Texas because they are not very good on defense. Great offense with an outstanding QB but their "middle of the road" on the defensive side of the ball and don't deserve to be in the Top 5.

Alabama

Florida

USC

Texas Tech

Penn St.

I've been as impressed as anyone else by USC over the past several years, but I honestly don't see how anyone can claim they should be in the top 5 this year considering what a bad loss they have and how mediocre they've looked against several decent, but hardly good teams.

Perhaps it is, as that OPed you posted suggests in the other thread, bad play calling and a failure to simply line up and dominate teams as they should. None the less, poor coaching has to be taken into account when ranking a team and, at some point, you absolutely have to go with the evidence at hand. Quite simply, USC is not providing, at least to me, with compelling evidence that they should be playing for the title.

They have neither a particularly difficult schedule, nor have they looked flawless in going through it. They might be more talented than both TT and Penn St. but at least those teams have, thus far, beaten everyone they've faced. Further, I'd have a hard time putting USC ahead of either UT or OU for many of the reasons I mention above. As long as we have this system in place, it remains a beauty pageant and USC is not looking all that pretty.

My guess is that, given a month to prepare and the focus and appropriate play calling that they seem to do in big games, they should be favored against every team in the country. However, we should not be voting based on who we think is the best team, rather who has done the most to show they deserve to be playing on Jan 8th. I understand that sounds odd but it's true. Voting for who we think is the best team absent of actual game results is what happens in August and should not be the case in November and December.

I agree IF the Gators get an undefeated Alabama team. IF Bama slips up, then we'll see. But it does bring up the question again...

For all of this crybaby talk about how the Big Ten doesn't have a championship game... having a championship game has very rarely been a burden for those that took the big pay day. You can look back and say that only 2 of the 10 years did it actually hurt a highly ranked team. Kansas State in 1998, and Tennessee/Texas in 2001. No sympathy at all for Texas in 01' as they had already beat Colorado, and then proceeded to lose their bowl game, and Colorado got destroyed in theres. Nebraska benefitted from not even playing in the Big 12 Championship. So a Big 12 team benefitted from another Big 12's team loss. So really, only Tennessee was "burdened" with the big pay day. Since then.... in 2003 Oklahoma LOSES, and still is ranked #1 in the BCS. That same year, it's very safe to say that LSU doesn't jump USC without the blowout win over Georgia in the SEC CG. Fast forward to 2006, and Florida gets the extra win in the SEC CG, and nips Michigan at the buzzer. And even last year, LSU had an extra game to redeem themselves. So lets end the crybaby nonsense. My opinion on this has always been, if your school/conference signed on the dotted line, and is willing to accept the big pay day that comes with having a championship game, then certainly you should be equally willing to accept any results. The ACC didn't raid the Big East to make their league "more competitive". Conference USA didn't go out of there way to add teams so that their conference would be viewed more respectably. They did it because they've seen that the SEC and Big 12 have been making a killing on these title games, because they essentially turn into bowl games, where the whole national focus is centered squarely on them. So stop the sniffling.

Well said. Solid points throughout.

I've been as impressed as anyone else by USC over the past several years, but I honestly don't see how anyone can claim they should be in the top 5 this year considering what a bad loss they have and how mediocre they've looked against several decent, but hardly good teams.

Perhaps it is, as that OPed you posted suggests in the other thread, bad play calling and a failure to simply line up and dominate teams as they should. None the less, poor coaching has to be taken into account when ranking a team and, at some point, you absolutely have to go with the evidence at hand. Quite simply, USC is not providing, at least to me, with compelling evidence that they should be playing for the title.

They have neither a particularly difficult schedule, nor have they looked flawless in going through it. They might be more talented than both TT and Penn St. but at least those teams have, thus far, beaten everyone they've faced. Further, I'd have a hard time putting USC ahead of either UT or OU for many of the reasons I mention above. As long as we have this system in place, it remains a beauty pageant and USC is not looking all that pretty.

My guess is that, given a month to prepare and the focus and appropriate play calling that they seem to do in big games, they should be favored against every team in the country. However, we should not be voting based on who we think is the best team, rather who has done the most to show they deserve to be playing on Jan 8th. I understand that sounds odd but it's true. Voting for who we think is the best team absent of actual game results is what happens in August and should not be the case in November and December.

I can't speak for everyone, but for myself, there is a big difference between how I would rank these teams in a fair manner (given the BCS), and what we're doing here, and just ranking teams if we lined everyone up against each other. Given this system, obviously, the 3 undefeated teams would and should be ranked 1, 2, and 3. At the end of the year, only TWO teams play for it all, so it unfair to reward Florida with a bad loss at home to Ole Miss sitting there. Now if we had a playoff of 8 to 12 teams, then you're talking about a whole different story, depending on what the scenario is to get into this playoff.

I can't speak for everyone, but for myself, there is a big difference between how I would rank these teams in a fair manner (given the BCS), and what we're doing here, and just ranking teams if we lined everyone up against each other. Given this system, obviously, the 3 undefeated teams would and should be ranked 1, 2, and 3. At the end of the year, only TWO teams play for it all, so it unfair to reward Florida with a bad loss at home to Ole Miss sitting there. Now if we had a playoff of 8 to 12 teams, then you're talking about a whole different story, depending on what the scenario is to get into this playoff.

Regardless, I would still have a hard time looking past the effort USC has put forth in many of their games. Whether we're picking the top 2 or seeding the top 8-12, I do think it's unfair to give teams the benefit of the doubt because you're convinced they have the most talent on the field. History is rife with extremely talented teams that lacked whatever it took to get it done week in and week out.

The difference I see between FL and USC is that, after their bad loss (which, BTW was a closer game against a somewhat stronger team IMO) they've gone on to completely dismantle several strong team. Now, maybe USC, if faced with the same stiff competition would have risen to the occasion. However, while one team is beating LSU and UGA by several TDs and... well hell, I just looked up USC's schedule and I guess the only game that qualifies as not looking good against a decent but not great team is the Arizona game. I suppose I should take back some of what I said. Still, I see that as somewhat of a second blemish.

Blah, blah, the wind is sort of out of my sails in light of this discovery. Carry on.

Well all I know is Miami, and Florida State had some really great teams while playing in conferences that are way worse than even a down Pac 10 this year, and still destroyed teams nationally. So while I agree, Fla has been very impressive, USC is doing what they should against bad teams, and that is dismantling them. They aren't even scoring on them. They can't do anything else. It's not a lot different than Fla State dismantling Ga Tech, Virginia, and NC State in the 90's. Thats why its tough to fault anyone for doing what they are supposed to do. It'd be one thing if USC was in tight games, but they aren't. They had one slip up against Oregon State on the road. Florida had a slip up at home vs Ole Miss. At the end of the day, I think it's apples to apples. No doubt Florida is beating better teams, but line the 2 teams up on the field, do you really think Fla does that to a Pete Carroll coached team. Especially given weeks to prepare in a bowl scenario. I don't think so. Not saying fla couldn't win, but Fla doesn't blow USC out like they did to Georgia.

And all of that said if there was a tournament at the end of the year, depending on how the brackets looked... 3 of my final 4 would be USC, Florida, and Alabama. I am not impressed with anyone in the Big 12 in the sense that those 3 teams would completely kill anyone in the Big 12 by at least 17 points or more. And I'm not sold on Penn State, so I don't know what lamb would be the 4th final four team.

Well all I know is Miami, and Florida State had some really great teams while playing in conferences that are way worse than even a down Pac 10 this year, and still destroyed teams nationally. So while I agree, Fla has been very impressive, USC is doing what they should against bad teams, and that is dismantling them. They aren't even scoring on them. They can't do anything else. It's not a lot different than Fla State dismantling Ga Tech, Virginia, and NC State in the 90's. Thats why its tough to fault anyone for doing what they are supposed to do. It'd be one thing if USC was in tight games, but they aren't. They had one slip up against Oregon State on the road. Florida had a slip up at home vs Ole Miss. At the end of the day, I think it's apples to apples. No doubt Florida is beating better teams, but line the 2 teams up on the field, do you really think Fla does that to a Pete Carroll coached team. Especially given weeks to prepare in a bowl scenario. I don't think so. Not saying fla couldn't win, but Fla doesn't blow USC out like they did to Georgia.

To be honest, for some reason I thought USC had another shaky win besides the U of A win. This, apparently is not the case. That's what I was pinning my argument on. Looking back, it does appear that they're taking care of business.

To be honest, for some reason I thought USC had another shaky win besides the U of A win. This, apparently is not the case. That's what I was pinning my argument on. Looking back, it does appear that they're taking care of business.

You might be thinking of that Arizona State game where they turned the ball over and slept walked to a 28-0 win. Which is such a huge indictment on Az State. I thought they would be better this year.

You might be thinking of that Arizona State game where they turned the ball over and slept walked to a 28-0 win. Which is such a huge indictment on Az State. I thought they would be better this year.

Regardless, I pretty much botched up my argument.