[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brandon Marshall quit on his team

Riffraff

Link

Marshall runs a down and pout

By Mark Kiszla

The Denver Post

Article Last Updated: 11/03/2008 12:33:57 AM MST

In the face of a bitter defeat, Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall turned and ran.

Is that how a winner acts?

Or did Marshall quit?

"He's one of those soft receivers where he has to have the ball all the time. If he don't get it, he's going to mope and cry," Miami linebacker Joey Porter said Sunday.

If you believe Porter, one of the main reasons the Dolphins upset Denver 26-17 Sunday is because the visitors got in the face of Marshall and messed with his mind until the young receiver cracked.

"We got in his head, and he pretty much was done," said Porter, who insisted Marshall psyched himself right out of the game.

Faced with the harsh reality of the final score, frustrated by a lousy individual performance, victimized by a bad call that nullified a touchdown catch and dissed by smack talk for which he had no response, Marshall quickly bolted off the field and into the stadium tunnel leading to the Denver locker room.

On a reeling Denver team that has dropped four of five decisions after a 3-0 start, it's fair to ask:

Is Marshall mentally tough enough to lead the Broncos out of this mess?

"I'm definitely disappointed," admitted Marshall, credited with only two catches for 27 yards against the Dolphins. "Definitely frustrated."

And it showed.

"I went looking for him after the game, but he ran to the locker room," said Porter, who loves to talk trash and has the Pro Bowl credentials to back up his sharp tongue.

Did Porter actually try to track down Marshall?

"Yeah, how do you know I seen that he was the first one off the field? I was looking for him. And he was the first one out of there," said the 31-year- old Colorado State alum.

As defenses have gotten tougher on Marshall and his receiving numbers have gone in steady decline, opponents now see how he pouts. It's a sign of vulnerability no player can afford in the NFL.

"I'm not selfish, but I'm a wide receiver," Marshall said. "I'm not asking for the ball every play, but I would love for us to throw every play."

From the anger with which Marshall snapped the chinstrap off his helmet when his 77-yard touchdown catch was wiped out by a pass interference penalty that appeared incorrect, to the way quarterback Jay Cutler trudges back to the bench after another ineffective set of downs by an offense that has lost its mojo, the body language of Denver's young stars too often suggests they are beaten men.

Porter knows any player capable of catching 18 passes in a single game is talented. But here's his advice to Marshall: Grow up.

Rather than taking the double-coverage the Dolphins used to blanket Marshall as a compliment, he got so mad that Porter detected an undeniable loss of composure.

If Marshall comes unglued, how can we expect the Broncos to keep it together, even in the AFC West, the division that makes a parody of parity? The team needs Marshall to lead, not whine.

During a break in the action before the fourth quarter began, Porter broke away from Miami's defensive huddle to shout across the line of scrimmage at Marshall, until he could no longer ignore the abuse.

It was a pitiful sight for a Broncos team that now appears too immature and emotionally fragile to handle the pressure of a league that shows no mercy for the weak or wounded.

"Once I know you're frustrated, I'm going to ride you all the way into the dirt," Porter said.

"I seen he was frustrated, because he went from not talking to me to wanting to talk to me every play. Why you talking to me? I'm not even covering you. So when you give me all your attention, I know you're not on your game."

Unnerved to the point of distraction in front of 75,000 irked paying customers, all Marshall could do was stand there and take the tongue-lashing from an opponent laughing in his face.

If this is where this Denver team comes undone, then we will remember it as the sad scene where the season faded to black.

how is that quitting on your team? by walking to the tunnel as soon as the game was over because porter was talking?

one of the last plays of the game was a pass from cutler to marshall

maybe i missed something in the article, but where did it say he quit DURING the game.......looks to me all he quit on was listening to porter's barking.

Wow. A lot of Marshall owners defending their guy. He's a oil and vinegar. We've known this for a long time with all of his off the field shenanigans. I don't see why it would be hard to believe he can be a oil and vinegar ON the field as well. They say adversity brings out true colors. Marshall is just being himself. A whiny pouting me-first WR, who blames anyone but himself for a poor performance and losing situation.

If this were TO, 85, or Moss, there would be droves of posters throwing them under the bus. Then backing up to run them over again. Just because he is a shiny new toy for fantasy leaguers to fall in love with, does not mean he is a model citizen, or teammate...

Anyone who gives Kiszla any credibility on anything related to sports needs to get their head examined. Kiszla is trying to be the next Woody Paige and is doing a wonderful job. I can't understand why the Post hires sportswriters who know almost nothing about sports. Maybe they spring for rounds at the bar after work.

You too are "oil and vinegar".

The difference between TO,85, et al. is that Marshall is a kid who needs to grow up and should be allowed the opportunity.

Just last week, Marshall donated some of his limited free time to a charity (Boys & Girls Club)... but does that get reported? Nope. And it allows guys like you to tear into someone who hasn't grown up yet. (I didn't grow up until I was 30).

Don't be so quick to Judge.

:wacko:

You think TO and 85 dont do charity? 85 is HUGH on giving back to the community he grew up in. He is right, if it were one of them everyone would bash heavily. And you know what, Marshall isnt 17 years on so he had plenty of time to grow up. He is a typical me first WR and there is nothing wrong with that but dont bring up his maturity level and his charity work. It should not take ANYONE 30 years to grow up and if it does that is fine but do not use that as an exuse.

He is a great WR with the common attitude now a days. I still support him, 81 and 85.

That's a valid point. I never hear reported the charity work the NFL players do. It's always reports about some statement that was taken out of context just to get another knee jerk reaction. Can't really blame the media since it works in politics so well.

The difference between TO,85, et al. is that Marshall is a kid who needs to grow up and should be allowed the opportunity.

Just last week, Marshall donated some of his limited free time to a charity (Boys & Girls Club)... but does that get reported? Nope. And it allows guys like you to tear into someone who hasn't grown up yet. (I didn't grow up until I was 30).

Lol so now beating up your girlfriend, and lying to your employer, and numerous run-ins with the law is just "being a kid.' OK. Isn't he 25?

I'm sure everyone is arrested multiple times in the course of growing up. :wacko:

i see nothing note-worthy here. besides Porter is as usual a pain in the ass, and this writer couldn't think of anything else to write about other than to seemingly create a story to try to explain a struggling team. lots of WRs get frustrated. i don't see from this story where Marshall was at fault for anything. and its not like he was really complaining or making excuses.

why doesn't this writer tell us exactly what the Dolphins D did to keep Marshall in check instead of looking for superficial crap like this. ...ya, i'm sure Marshall's never been trash-talked on the field before. :wacko:

Wasn't that community service? :wacko:

I suppose it's guilty until proven innocent where you live? Since you haven't done any research on his run-ins with the law, I'm not going to waste my time discussing this further.

Go vote.

Anyone who beats up a girl is a summers eve feminine product.. And anyone who disagrees with that is a bigger one. end of story

Edited by G.K.Trey

I suppose it's guilty until proven innocent where you live? Since you haven't done any research on his run-ins with the law, I'm not going to waste my time discussing this further.

[AndyGriffith] Opie, Opie, Opie... [/AndyGriffith]

Marshall screwed up a few times. That's indisputable. It's okay to admit that your favorite team or its players have faults. Sure, Marshall's girlfriend has instigated a large portion of the problems, but Marshall was a willing participant in some of the mess also - as well as the idiocy that got him hurt and the juvenile coverup afterwards.

The important thing is that Marshall seems to regret his actions and appears to be trying to rectify the situation and improve himself. This is isolated from that, and Marshall is only saying what many fans think - if the DEN DBs are going to play with 12 yd cushions they're going to get burned on short routes. The problem is that they have to play with 12 yd cushions because they aren't good enough to cover deep routes without a 12 yd head start. If that hurts someone's feelings, then they need to play a bit better and prove him wrong.

I wouldn't want to be Cleveland's D backs this week. Marshall on prime time will have a HUGH game. I hope people continue to trash him. The TD catch for 77 yards could have turned this whole thing around and made his stat lines look a whole lot better. 150 and 2 TDs this week from his buddy Cutler is what I am predicting.

Frank Schwab, of the Colorado Springs Gazette, reports Denver Broncos WR Brandon Marshall said Miami Dolphins LB Joey Porter is a soft player in response to Porter's conclusion that Marshall is soft. "All those muscles are popcorn muscles -- he's soft," Marshall said. "We hear stories floating around the league all the time about him as far as in the nightclubs dancing with his shirt off like a girl, or in the playground getting beat up back in California. He's one of those guys that, no matter how big he is, he still can get knocked on his butt. He's soft. He's soft at heart. You can tell the way he talks."

:wacko:

This is weak. I'm no Joey Porter fan by any means, but Marshall needs to be accountable for how he played.

You played one of your worst games, now be quiet and start thinking about next week.

Go vote.

Voted last week my naive friend. He has been arrested multiple times. That is a FACT. He lied to the Broncos about what happened to his arm, FACT. Just because his case hasn't gone to court yet, doesn't mean he is innocent. Granted it doesn't make him guilty either. But does a zebra change his stripes? Rarely.

I suppose that wasn't Matt Jones coke either eh?

I wouldn't want to be Cleveland's D backs this week. Marshall on prime time will have a HUGH game. I hope people continue to trash him. The TD catch for 77 yards could have turned this whole thing around and made his stat lines look a whole lot better. 150 and 2 TDs this week from his buddy Cutler is what I am predicting.

Doubtful, since neither has played well in over a month. And the cold weather will only make it worse.

First off...this is pretty pathetic journalism; nothing more than a excuse for enticing instigation as opposed to a productive sports article. He repeats the quarry behind the issue throughout just to create heated debate and rebuttal (which is fun at times to a certain degree).

However, I don't see that as quitting at all...he has every right to be frustrated, and poopy talking goes on every Sunday the instance players collide on the field. I actually think the honesty in players emotions makes for a more exciting game and season for that matter, cause you can tell between those that put their whole hearts into the game and the others that are there just to fortify their ego and a paycheck. Everything they both did is in fair game and this article is just line after line of BS. Now, if Marshall doesn't take responsibility for his own poor performance, then that's a completely different story.

Did I mention that I'm Dolphin fan and a student at UCF (where Marshall played college football at) :wacko:

GO FINS!