[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is it insane to not bakup a stud qb

drmcpa

I have 4 teams, all with qbs that I would not bench against any opponent (like Brees). I know I have been playing with fire by not having or drafting a backup qb instead loading up with rbs and wrs. On one team I had Romo, but I was able to pick up Pennington on waivers and won anyway. I picked up a back up (M.Ryan) for Brees on the bye week and I am now debating whether or not to keep Ryan. But I hate to have him on my bench the test of the year. Am I being a total fool playing with fire by not backing up the qb?

I wouldn't even think of going past the waiver period without a backup QB. Playing with fire, yes. I would have MAYBE tried that with Manning in years past, but I wouldn't even do that with Manning this year. You are begging for trouble.

When you spend a high draft round pick on a "top" QB ... a QB that you intend to start every week regardless of match up ... then typically your draft is best served by waiting to fill the back up spot until very late in the draft. Almost under no circumstances do i ever have just 1 QB on my roster. In the league I have Romo ... I drafted Rodgers to be his back up. In the league I have Manning ... I drafted Schaub AND Edwards to back him up. In the league I have McNabb I drafted Eli to be his back up.

I've been debating a similar question as well. I have Warner rocking for my main team and Schaub was his backup. I was considering picking up another WR/RB but I had to spend a pick on Rosenfels "just in case". I'm in a decent position in that league and Rosenfels may not give up his spot after Schaub comes back healthy so I have to carry 3 QBs. It sounds crazy in my own head but I just think of the downside of a player getting hurt and flushing my entire season down the tubes.

I always back up my QB, always. In a league I had Brady I was lucky enough to have drafted Warner, but I still picked up another QB as well cause I needed the bye week fill in and you never know when your starter could get hurt. Having 3 QB's in some leagues this year has been a must for me.

I have 4 teams, all with qbs that I would not bench against any opponent (like Brees). I know I have been playing with fire by not having or drafting a backup qb instead loading up with rbs and wrs. On one team I had Romo, but I was able to pick up Pennington on waivers and won anyway. I picked up a back up (M.Ryan) for Brees on the bye week and I am now debating whether or not to keep Ryan. But I hate to have him on my bench the test of the year. Am I being a total fool playing with fire by not backing up the qb?
Point being is that not only is he on your bench, but he ISN'T on another teams roster. Keep your backup for the obvious reasons and to keep him off other rosters. FF 101

I usually draft a QB middle of the starter pack (4th to 7th taken) then another one later in the draft. This year, for the first time in at least a decade, took a QB early (13th overall, 1st QB....) and stated that I'm screwed if he gets hurt anyway so didn't get a backup although almost took Warner two picks before he went in the 10th but instead took a shot at Mendehall. From that, you'd think I'd recommend definitely getting a backup or two. When that 2nd round qb went down for the year 10 minutes into the season, I spent a lot of money (blind bid real dollar waivers) on 4 QB's in the first week of waivers and have since picked up and dropped about 3 more.

I'm 6-3 and lead my division, but am next to last in QB points (and even if I got a normal week 1 performance would be 2 from the bottom). So I'd say yes, I should have drafted a 2nd QB but you can get by without doing that.

However, that's all preseason/early. At this point without a doubt if you can get a good backup you get him and keep him. If he rots on your bench all year, fine - cause all it takes is one play and instead of Matt Ryan you have Jamarcus Russell come playoff time. Now, yes, a Shaun Hill could go off and be available, but I'd want to have plan B set before thinking about Plans C, D and E come crunch time.

If you mean going forward in a league that locks up waivers after week 12 or something, than yeah, you are crazy for not having a backup. If you can make pickups all year, there is no need to have a backup if you don't see the value in it. Bottom line is do what makes you most comfortable. Even though keeping him on your roster keeps him off another roster is that worth having him on the bench for 16 of 17 weeks? I guess that is up to you.

Am I being a total fool playing with fire by not backing up the qb?

You ought to have a long chat with FFers who drafted Brady in the 1st round this year & tried to get away with what you are trying. The only way I'd never draft a backup QB regardless of where I draft my QB would be in a very small league - which I don't play in. Then again, I never have a QB rated in the top 5 QBs in ADP before the season starts because I strongly believe that you can get such good value later in the draft.

If you mean going forward in a league that locks up waivers after week 12 or something, than yeah, you are crazy for not having a backup. If you can make pickups all year, there is no need to have a backup if you don't see the value in it. Bottom line is do what makes you most comfortable. Even though keeping him on your roster keeps him off another roster is that worth having him on the bench for 16 of 17 weeks? I guess that is up to you.

Absolutely

Those of you that are espousing that no back up is required because if your front line QB gets hurt you can simply grab a replacement off the waiver wire should be prepared to start the likes of Senaca Wallace, Kerry Collins, JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Fitzpatrick, which ever SF QB you like, or Rex Grossman. If that is an acceptable risk for you then you are good to go ... for me I prefer to back my QB up with a more reliable back up.

If you are gonna roll the dice with 1 qb you at least should back him up the week transactions end in case he gets hurt so you still have a warm body to plug in in the playoffs

The problem with this strategy is obvious, what is available after week 12 compared to getting your backup at the draft or as early as possible?

I've been debating a similar question as well. I have Warner rocking for my main team and Schaub was his backup. I was considering picking up another WR/RB but I had to spend a pick on Rosenfels "just in case". I'm in a decent position in that league and Rosenfels may not give up his spot after Schaub comes back healthy so I have to carry 3 QBs. It sounds crazy in my own head but I just think of the downside of a player getting hurt and flushing my entire season down the tubes.

Another option would be to drop both Schuab and Rosenfels and pick up Leinart. In the event that Warner goes down Leinart will put up decent numbers and you save a roster spot.

I really don't see why you would draft a backup, unless you are in a very very deep league. In most cases, you will only use the guy for one week. Why hold a roster spot for a one-week use? I picked up Griese during Peyton's bye week, and Griese absolutely went off. I dropped him the following monday. It really is that simple. If you have one of these guys that doesn't get hurt, and you are going to start him every week but one, why in the heck would you waste a draft pick or a roster spot on a backup? I never had a backup when I had Culpepper in my keeper many years ago. I never had a backup when I had Favre, and I didn't even consider drafting a backup this year after I took Manning. Just a complete waste of time. I'd rather stash Ryan Torain on the tail end of my roster than carry Marc Bulger. Now, I think that these QB's are certainly the exception, not the rule. For instance, I would never draft Donovan McNabb without getting a quality backup. If you have a QB that you are certain you will start amost every week regarldless of matchups, and he has a history of staying healthy, why carry a backup? Seems pointless to me.

I really don't see why you would draft a backup, unless you are in a very very deep league. In most cases, you will only use the guy for one week. Why hold a roster spot for a one-week use? Seems pointless to me.

Ummmm - because injuries happen? Or because you made a poor judgment on your #1 QB? So you'd rather hold a roster spot for a player who probably will never see your lineup unless byes decimate one position.

We aren't talking about kickers here, where you can get reasonably close value on the WW. We're talking about being forced to pick up a QB who scores below the Mendoza line if something bad happens to your top guy. In the leagues I play in, that very well could be a ticket from being in the top 4/5 teams & going to the playoffs to being competing for the toilet bowl at the end of the year.

Maybe your leagues aren't quite so competitive.

I really don't see why you would draft a backup, unless you are in a very very deep league. In most cases, you will only use the guy for one week. Why hold a roster spot for a one-week use? I picked up Griese during Peyton's bye week, and Griese absolutely went off. I dropped him the following monday. It really is that simple. If you have one of these guys that doesn't get hurt, and you are going to start him every week but one, why in the heck would you waste a draft pick or a roster spot on a backup? I never had a backup when I had Culpepper in my keeper many years ago. I never had a backup when I had Favre, and I didn't even consider drafting a backup this year after I took Manning. Just a complete waste of time. I'd rather stash Ryan Torain on the tail end of my roster than carry Marc Bulger. Now, I think that these QB's are certainly the exception, not the rule. For instance, I would never draft Donovan McNabb without getting a quality backup. If you have a QB that you are certain you will start amost every week regarldless of matchups, and he has a history of staying healthy, why carry a backup? Seems pointless to me.

If you are happy picking up a player like Kerry Collins to start for your bye week or to start for you every week if your QB gets hurt then by all means carry only 1 QB.

I'm in 5 leagues ... in every single league every team has 2 to 3 QBs on their squad ... some have 4.

Those of you that are espousing that no back up is required because if your front line QB gets hurt you can simply grab a replacement off the waiver wire should be prepared to start the likes of Senaca Wallace, Kerry Collins, JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Fitzpatrick, which ever SF QB you like, or Rex Grossman. If that is an acceptable risk for you then you are good to go ... for me I prefer to back my QB up with a more reliable back up.

I agree here. In fact, I have Brees and have run without a back up QB for several weeks (just grabbing someone last week but then dumping him because a tasty RB option came up on waivers). Now, our waivers end after week 14 so, provided I make the play-offs, I will certainly drop someone for a back up. However, my back up wasn't doing any better than a number of other guys floating around out there so, for the reasons Grits gives here, it makes more sense for me to address other positions.

If your backup QB is no better than the waiver swag that's out there, the rationale about keeping him off someone else's team doesn't make much sense either.

Bad answers boys. If you draft Drew Brees and then pickup Marc Bulger as your backup, you just wasted a pick. Guess what...if Brees gets hurt, you are still F'd!! Either way. You are going to have to trade for a decent QB anyways if you want to win.

Look, I'm not saying "never draft a backup QB". All I'm saying is that if you drafted Brees, Favre, Manning or Brady, your backup QB is going to do absolutely NOTHING for you, unless you got really lucky and drafted Rivers as your backup. It is a waste of a draft pick and roster spot. Bronco Billy, to have those backups on your roster, you must not have drafted Manning, Favre or Brees. Lets face it, 90% of the guys that drafted Brady are absolutely F'd, whether or not they took a backup QB. If you have to play your backup QB, you are not going to contend for a fantasy championship. Drafting two decent QB's to play matchups with is one thing, but to have a guy there solely as a backup, when your starter never gets hurt anyways, is a complete and total waste of a spot. I used to draft a backup for Peyton in my keeper league. THe first two years I had him, I drafted a backup. The backup sat there and sat there and sat there. I wanted to drop him to take a flier on a guy similar to Torain, but never did. The next year, I was like, why would I need a backup? I have Peyton Manning. Haven't drafted on since, not when I have that caliber of QB that is always healthy anyways. I am as open minded as they come, but for anyone to profess that "you must draft a backup QB", that is just totally and completely wrong.

How about the Romo-factor? If they had a servicable backup QB they probably wouldn't have lost some of those games. Anyone can get injured on any week...

I actually have Brees, Gerrard and Rosenfals (being an a-hole to the guy with schaub). I wanted Quinn (to be an a-hole to the guy with D. Anderson) but someone beat me to the punch.

Bad answers boys. If you draft Drew Brees and then pickup Marc Bulger as your backup, you just wasted a pick. Guess what...if Brees gets hurt, you are still F'd!! Either way. You are going to have to trade for a decent QB anyways if you want to win.

Look, I'm not saying "never draft a backup QB". All I'm saying is that if you drafted Brees, Favre, Manning or Brady, your backup QB is going to do absolutely NOTHING for you, unless you got really lucky and drafted Rivers as your backup. It is a waste of a draft pick and roster spot. Bronco Billy, to have those backups on your roster, you must not have drafted Manning, Favre or Brees. Lets face it, 90% of the guys that drafted Brady are absolutely F'd, whether or not they took a backup QB. If you have to play your backup QB, you are not going to contend for a fantasy championship. Drafting two decent QB's to play matchups with is one thing, but to have a guy there solely as a backup, when your starter never gets hurt anyways, is a complete and total waste of a spot. I used to draft a backup for Peyton in my keeper league. THe first two years I had him, I drafted a backup. The backup sat there and sat there and sat there. I wanted to drop him to take a flier on a guy similar to Torain, but never did. The next year, I was like, why would I need a backup? I have Peyton Manning. Haven't drafted on since, not when I have that caliber of QB that is always healthy anyways. I am as open minded as they come, but for anyone to profess that "you must draft a backup QB", that is just totally and completely wrong.

I mostly agree with this and certainly don't believe in carrying a back up QB throughout the season, unless...

Because I do believe in drafting a 2nd QB if you think the guy is way undervalued and can get him late. Hell, I think it's worth it just in case you get lucky. At that point in the draft, it's either a QB flyer or a guy like Rashard Mendenhal, so what the hell? Aarron Rodgers, Jay Cutler, and Philip Rivers are perfect examples. Guys who picked them up, especially if they had a guy like Brees already are in a great position of either trading one of them for a solid starter at another position or, at very least know they never have to face them.

Where I draw the line is dragging a guy like Trent Edwards along behind a guy like Brees once it's apparent that he's not Rivers, Rodgers, or Cutler because Edwards has been no better than any number of guys who can be picked up and spot started as needed.

Edited by detlef

So you're saying I couldn't have recovered my season if I drafted Brady in the 2nd & then Trent Edwards in the 12th? I'd seriously beg to differ. Or Kurt Warner in the 11th to back up Carson Palmer, whose ADP put him as the 5th QB off the board? How about Aaron Rodgers in the 12th to back up Romo - how would that affect your season given what's happened in the past 3 weeks?

I guess I don't play in 8 team leagues, so when you're in 14 or 16 team leagues, you don't dare take a chance of relying on the WW for a replacement QB, because the pickings are extremely thin. If I did play in 8 team leagues, I'd agree with what you're putting forth.

So you're saying I couldn't have recovered my season if I drafted Brady in the 2nd & then Trent Edwards in the 12th? I'd seriously beg to differ. Or Kurt Warner in the 11th to back up Carson Palmer, whose ADP put him as the 5th QB off the board? How about Aaron Rodgers in the 12th to back up Romo - how would that affect your season given what's happened in the past 3 weeks?

I guess I don't play in 8 team leagues, so when you're in 14 or 16 team leagues, you don't dare take a chance of relying on the WW for a replacement QB, because the pickings are extremely thin. If I did play in 8 team leagues, I'd agree with what you're putting forth.

My guess is that if you used your first pick on Brady, you probably aren't strong enough in other places to where Edwards can win you a championship. At least in 90+ percent of the cases.

Anybody who doesn't draft a high backup when drafting Carson Palmer is just an idiot. He is not one of the QB's we are talking about here. As for Romo, I probably wouldn't have spent any pick in the first ten rounds on a backup for him. He is a tough call. I probably would have taken a backup for him simply because he isn't as proven as some of the others. I probably would have taken a late round flier on an O'Sullivan or Matt Ryan type, and if he got hurt, I would have bit the bullet and traded for a decent starter (Rodgers, Schaub).

Sure, if there is a QB under the radar that you think is a good value, take him as you would any player. Hopefully you can trade him later. I'm just saying that in some situations, the backup QB is certainly not a necessity.