[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Raiders to cut CB Hall

Shotgun Messiahs

Not that Hall is as good as his contract suggests, but he doesn't suck badly enough to justify the cap hit of cutting him less than a year into a massive contract.

Given this and Kiffin's lawsuit against the Raiders, I wonder if Goodell and the other owners will force Al to sell at some point. It's not like Al has any friends among his peers to stick up for him.

Asomugha, Wilson back Hall

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

Wednesday, November 5th, 2008 at 5:09 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha stood in front of a locker which was stripped in an X by medical tape, with the words, “Franchised forever!” penciled in by a playful teammate, safety Rashad Baker.

Asomugha, however, was in a more serious mood. He didn’t understand the Raiders’ decision to cut cornerback DeAngelo Hall and wanted to say so on the record. Asomugha, in fact, ran into a few reporters at a local deli at lunch and urged them to be at his locker after practice.

Asomugha declined to answer any questions regarding his own contract and whether he would consider a long-term contract with the Raiders. He answered virtually everything else.

So did safety Gibril Wilson, who admitted he thought he might be the one sent packing.

While Tom Cable was responsible for pushing the company line, saying it was a necessary move designed to elicit better play as team and refusing to be critical of Hall, and a team spokesman said it wasn’t about money, Asomugha had different ideas.

“I’m obviously disappointed. I don’t agree with what happened,” Asomugha said. “I don’t agree with what’s going on. But I am just a player so I can’t speak on it. I don’t make the decisions. All I can do is play but I don’t agree with what happened at all.”

Asomugha felt Hall was adjusting to playing in an almost exclusively man-to-man scheme and was the victim of a rash decision.

“He had eight games to prove himself which is what really got me. I was sitting at home last night, watching the election and all that and excited, and then he calls me, hurt,” Asomugha said. “He wanted to finish out the season here and he told me he was getting cut and it was just shocking. I couldn’t make any sense of it. He had eight games to prove himself. I don’t think that was enough.”

Cable stressed that the move would send a message that the Raiders are serious about the second half of the season. Wilson got the message, all right, but not the one that was intended.

“It’s almost like we’re throwing in the towel,” Wilson said. “We have eight games to go and we’re two games down in the division. All we need to do is get on a roll in November and the next thing you know we’re right back in this thing.”

Said Asomugha: “I do know that guys, after seeing that, it’s not one of those things that is making guys go out and want to play harder. It’s one of things that guys are looking like, ‘I could be next, so let me not make a mistake.’ That’s a difficult thing to play with on Sundays.”

Asomugha said Hall told him, “it was a matter of his play wasn’t up to par with what he’s being paid.”

Asomugha talked of players being on edge of late, and Wilson conceded he wondered about his own future as a free agent acquisition.

“I talked to `D’ last night and me and him have the same agent,” Wilson said. “I thought it was actually going to be me or him. It’s him and it’s just a messed up situation. I don’t know what else more to say. `D’ was a good football player and we needed him. It’s kind of disappointing that we still have eight games to go and we got rid of one of the best corners.”

As the team captain, Asomugha said he was informed by Cable of the decision but wasn’t given a reason. He said he told Cable what he thought and intends to seek a meeting with Al Davis. Asomugha also isn’t happy with the Ronald Curry or Michael Huff benchings and how they were handled.

“I haven’t spoken to him yet. I’m sure I’ll be speaking to him soon,” Asomugha said. “Just about the nature of what’s going on. I think I’ve been here long enough that we can have that discussion, how this thing can get better.”

A Raider since 2003, Asomugha joined the franchise at the start of its 21-67 tailspin, and while he wouldn’t talk about his contract or status as a franchise player, it’s clear he’s tired of all the drama.

“You’re paid to deal with problems,” Asomugha said. “At the same time, six years and running, you do get tired of a lot of things. Mind, body and soul, everything, you do get tired. Straight up. No lie.”

Wilson wondered what how the Raiders circus would play in New York, where he played with the Giants.

“This is a soap opera. I just think we need to settle on something,” Wilson said. “We need to have a vision of where we’re trying to take this team. If you don’t have a vision and you’re just trying to plug in players, then you’re always going to get the same results.”

Said Asomugha: “I do know that guys, after seeing that, it’s not one of those things that is making guys go out and want to play harder. It’s one of things that guys are looking like, ‘I could be next, so let me not make a mistake.’ That’s a difficult thing to play with on Sundays.”

I think Nnamdi is dead on with this statement.