[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers-Vikings week

Randall

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of me is happy to get the win over the Pack, first one in three years...

Part of me was getting ready to thank the Packers for finally sealing Chilly's fate...

Guess I will just enjoy the W

Brad Childress may be your Wayne Fontes.

They won't matter if McCarthy and the line can't fix the problems that displayed today.

I don't disagree.

The Vikings defense is one of the best with M Williams back. The GB O line has always been a concern but they showed some flashes they may be able to build on. Time will tell.

Barnett's injury could be devastating.

I don't disagree.

The Vikings defense is one of the best with M Williams back. The GB O line has always been a concern but they showed some flashes they may be able to build on. Time will tell.

I agree with the Vikings being elite, which is all more the reason that the Packers play a disciplined game. The non stopped holds, and false starts is near insurmountable... Couple that with Mike McCarthy wanting to throw when they're backed up within there own 10 yard line and it's a recipe for disaster. The 600+ yards in penalties that the packers have goes back to the coaching staff. A well disciplined team will not make that many mistakes. It's got to be fixed now or Green Bay will struggle to win 7 games this year.

Although it's exciting to get this big win, the Vikes will never do anything big this season unless they can stop the mistakes. The defense is terrific, and is saving them every week, seems like. Ryan Cook is KILLING them every week with his penalties, and he was owned by Kampman yesterday. Not sure what Frerotte was doing half the time yesterday, and 7 interceptions in 3 weeks cannot continue. And now we face Tampa's terrific defense and schemes...ugh. I think Childress has this team together and mentally prepared. Although I do like the way Childress seems to have the team focused and working together, he just makes some really bad decisions at such strange times - going for it on 4th down late in the game was just plain wrong, IMO, and should have sealed the loss. And their special teams continue to be a disaster - and that will hurt them even more against good teams when it matters. If they could just take care of the little things, they could be really tough. But it's getting late in the season to expect anything like that to change much.

It would be nice to see them just finish a team off, and not play around with everybody.

Edited by Chadman

I don't disagree.

The three Williams may be the best thing since sliced bread, but I could really see them improving when arguably the best player and my favorite E.J. Henderson returns next year. As far as the pack goes it all came down to running that ball and stopping the run as I stated earlier and the pack could do neither. Purple Jesus was extra saintly, and yeah, Grant had a few good runs. He was just horrible a lot of the time on first down leading to predictable calls that the Vikings seemed to have been stealing. Downplay ol' 69 all you want but I haven't seen good DE play in purple in gold since... since.. well it's been a bit :wacko: and you could see Rodgers was really rattled at the end of the game. Then you roll over and take a big stinking breath of the Vikings offense. The passing game was all around horrible and predictable. Almost makes secret squirrel's insane conservatism on offense seem a bit better because it's just as likely the D will score. Albeit the Pack has arguably the best secondary in the league, the line isn't worth spitting on. I've never seen the vikes have that much time to throw the ball all year and yet Berrian couldn't get a single catch. Vikes line did damn good, 338 total yards out of CT and AD, but a lot of that was still the pack line being that bad.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy revealed Monday that MLB Nick Barnett needs surgery to repair a torn ligament in his knee. He will be placed on injured reserve, ending his season.

F@#$!

That's pretty devastating.

UPDATE: Here's the full McCarthy quotes on Barnett. "We've lost Nick Barnett for the season because of a ligament tear in his knee. So, we just got the word here about a half-hour ago. He's very disappointed. It's unfortunate. But we need the other guys to step up." Is it the ACL? "He has a ligament tear, Pete. If he wants to tell you which one, he can tell you." (Inaudible) "He's out for the season." Surgery? "We haven't discussed that yet. I mean, it's an operation that has to occur and so forth. So, it hasn't been scheduled. ... I spoke to him briefly, for about 2 minutes." Who will start? "Well, that's what we're talking about. We talked about it as a defensive staff this morning, the potentials. Obviously, Desmond Bishop. A.J. Hawk, and Brandon Chillar also factors into that, too, so we'll probably make that call tomorrow."

* On illegal forward pass call: No further explanation needed.

* On offensive calls late in regulation before field-goal attempt: Doesn't second guess. "My mindset was clear: I was trying to get a first down and take all the time off the clock." First-down call was similar to play Ryan Grant broke for big run in first meeting with Vikings. "I'd kick that fied goal with Mason Crosby 10 out of 10 times, and I'm confident he'd make it 10 out of 10 times." Didn't want an incomplete pass, because that would leave more time for Minnesota to come back. On third down, the Vikings went empty pressure, so Aaron Rodgers had to throw hot.

* Play calling bad? Doesn't think that was the case. "Defensively, I thought we played outstanding from the turnover standpoint. ... Frankly, I think the offense needs to play much better to keep the defense off the field, because I think it factored in the run defense." Five explosive gains in run game were big factor. Though special teams played very well, but punting wasn't what it needed to be. Third-down conversion rate was big issue. Will watch film today and move on to Chicago.

* Make any changes on offensive line? "That's not for today. Those are things I think we've shown in the past. We're going to do what's in the best interest of our football team."

* On Rodgers: "I'm not going to make excuses for Aaron. He didn't have his best game. He can definitely play better. But it's a learning experience for him." Metrodome is a challenge in any quarterback's first game. "It's his first experience in that environment, and he needs to learn from it."

* On play calling again: Comfortable with way game was called. On protection: Have things built into scheme to help tackle and guard when struggling; all was evident on Sunday. "I was fine with the way the game was called."

* On Rodgers' decisions: "The amount of pressure was too much, so it's a challenge to keep battling to play above that." Played and graded out better in second half than first. Ability to start fast was focus all week, and didn't do that. Thought defense played one of its better halves in the first.

* On field position: Big difference calling plays inside the 20.

* On Blackmon fielding punt deep: There is a mark set.

* On punt protection/protection: Thought it was fine. "I thought our special teams, outside of the actual punting, played very well." Frost punted "great" before the game; doesn't know why it didn't carry over, but have to figure that out.

* On protection problems: Have come in bunches. Seven negative plays and eight penalties "very hard to overcome as an offense." Need to clean up and move on. Had games where protection has been outstanding, but having spurts in games that need to overcome. Little inconsistent for season.

* Downfield opportunities if protection was better? "Those are all hypotheticals. ... Everything we do starts with pass protection."

* On penalties: Have to look at them individually. Presnap and mentals errors are unacceptable. Combative penalties depend on judgement and situations. "We're always going to err on the side of being more aggressive." Doesn't think focus and discipline are the problem. Won't apologize for the penalties.

* On rotating in Aaron Rouse at safety: Talked about having Rouse ready because played well with opportunities. Knows Collins was up and down with the toe.

* Other injuries: Jarrett Bush had an ankle sprain and "will be challenged to play this week" against Chicago. Brandon Chillar having tests done on shoulder. Nick Collins had toe sprain but returned.

That's it for now.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com