[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Diles done for the year

Will improve DeMeco's stats. Diles was an absolute beast. DeMeco's stats have been crazy the past few years b/c he had no one around him.

that is just not true

Edited by keggerz

from another thread:

While there are questions as to what is "wrong" with Ryans the answer most certainly is NOT that Diles is the man.

Right now after this week Diles is on pace for 94 solos and 38 assists

Before we go any further lets look at what Ryans has done the past 2 years:

Ryans

07: 99 solos with 29 assists and he ranked as the #4 LB

06: 125 solos with 30 assists and he ranked as the #1 LB

now lets take a look at what happened NEXT to Ryans in those 2 years....and to do that we are going to look at Morlon Greenwood

Greenwood

07: 90 solo tackles with 28 assists

06: 83 solo tackles with 26 assists

would you say that Greenwood hurt Ryans value in those two years? I am sure your answer has to be NO....so with that said look at what Diles is on pace for this year.....4 more solos then what Greenwood had in 2007 and 10 more assists....would 4 more solos and 10 more assists by greenwood have killed Ryans value in 2007? I think not....but lets look at what Diles is on pace for a bit closer....what you will see is he had a HUGH week 1 and without that week Diles over the past 7 weeks is actually on pace for 83 solos with 35 assists....pretty darn close to what greenwood did in 2006.....so do you still think that DILES is the reason that Ryans has been disappointing? I think a big part of it is that I doubt he is 100% healthy (he injured his ankle in the teams 3rd game of the year vs the Jags & rotoworld has reported he has been icing a shoulder after games but ryans says he is healthy...i say take that with a grain of salt)

that is just not true

So you think Ryans's numbers won't get any better with Bentley at SAM? When your SAM gets THAT many tackles it will hurt your other 2 LBs. It HAS to. Diles has 21 total tackles over the past 2 games and DeMeco has 7 - CORRELATION! I hear rumors that Diles plays some WILL but he plays predominantly at SAM. You cannot compare Diles and Greenwood's numbers b/c they play different positions. When you have 3 quality LBs as opposed to 2 the tackle numbers will suffer. Ryans may have nagging injuries this year, but its football. EVERYONE plays hurt.

Will improve DeMeco's stats. Diles was an absolute beast. DeMeco's stats have been crazy the past few years b/c he had no one around him.

you made the statement that Ryans had crazy stats the past few years because he had NO ONE around him...and that simply isnt true...there is a correlation between the numbers diles is putting up and what greenwood put up the past 2 seasons.....hey I get it, diles is/was the new darling at LB this year but dont discredit what greenwood did the past 2 yrs by saying that he was a NO ONE.

So you think Ryans's numbers won't get any better with Bentley at SAM? When your SAM gets THAT many tackles it will hurt your other 2 LBs. It HAS to. Diles has 21 total tackles over the past 2 games and DeMeco has 7 - CORRELATION! I hear rumors that Diles plays some WILL but he plays predominantly at SAM. You cannot compare Diles and Greenwood's numbers b/c they play different positions. When you have 3 quality LBs as opposed to 2 the tackle numbers will suffer. Ryans may have nagging injuries this year, but its football. EVERYONE plays hurt.

actually I expect Greenwoods numbers to improve the most since he will most likely get nickle snaps again....could be the rook adibi but that remains to be seen...do I expect Ryans to bounce back some? sure I do and that was even if Diles remained in the lineup....and the texans were moving diles around some and they had that ability because greenwood has played SAM before.....

Diles and Ryans both had monster games in week one b/c Pitt ran ball 39 times. Greenwood also only got one solo. If the SAM holds his own, the MIKE doesn't have to do as much work.

I know how schemes work and I also know that there are only so many tackles to go around....I also do my research and if you want to look at 2007 vs 2008 you too will see that Diles isnt the first person that has performed well next to greenwood and you will also see that your assertation that because ryans now has diles and greenwood next to him is siphoning his tackles...yes Ryans is not playing up to snuff but that has more to do with the entire defense then just one player (Diles) that you say is the first good LB to play next to Ryans....

2007: name solo/assists

Ryans 99/29

Greenwood:90/28

Danny Clark 40/11

2008:

Ryans 80/22

Diles 94/38(and remember too look above and see what his pace is excluding week 1, nah here it is 83/35)

Greenwood 44/18

so there you go that NO BODY next to Ryans in the past produced 90 solo tackles and the "other" LB(SAM) produced 40...just 4 less then this yrs 3rd LBs pace

Does the play of Texans linebacker Ryans concern you?

Last year, Texans linebacker DeMeco Ryans had 60 tackles and one sack after seven games. This season, he has 47 tackles and no sacks.

While Ryans was slowed early by an ankle injury and has had to ice his shoulder after games, Ryans insists he is not seriously hampered by anything at this point. Coach Gary Kubiak said his defensive leader's numbers may not be as high this season, but that's simply because he's getting more help than he has in the past.

"He's getting more help now than he has in the past," Kubiak said. "Back then he was having to make all those tackles but I think Zac (Diles) has become a fine, fine player. So, he's taking a lot of pressure and made a lot of plays from that standpoint. We're playing better up front right now than we've played in a while around here. So, he's got a lot more help but believe me, he's still playing well and I expect some big things out of him the rest of the way."

Ryans has played through serious injuries before, but Kubiak said this is the time in the season when a number of every-down players are starting to drag and their play suffers slightly. Most get their second wind pretty quickly, and Kubiak expects that to happen for Ryans.

It doesn't help that the Texans no longer have a mid-season bye week, but they are dealing well with it so far. Kubiak is also resting Ryans at times during practice, but since Ryans orchestrates the defense and wears the transmitter on the field, it's hard to keep him out of practice for very long.

"You've got to understand he's played every snap for this football team going on two and a half years," Kubiak said. "He's played a lot, a lot of football and it's that time of the season in the National Football League when you get to week eight, nine and 10 where everybody is really dragging and tired and beat up.

"You just kind of have to keep plugging and you seem to get a second wind towards the end. He's in that boat right now. We've got to just keep going, but I think he's OK."

Ryans still remains second on the team behind Diles in tackles. Does his play concern you at all, or is the play of another defender concerning you as the team hits the midway point?

Does the play of Texans linebacker Ryans concern you?

Last year, Texans linebacker DeMeco Ryans had 60 tackles and one sack after seven games. This season, he has 47 tackles and no sacks.

While Ryans was slowed early by an ankle injury and has had to ice his shoulder after games, Ryans insists he is not seriously hampered by anything at this point. Coach Gary Kubiak said his defensive leader's numbers may not be as high this season, but that's simply because he's getting more help than he has in the past.

"He's getting more help now than he has in the past," Kubiak said. "Back then he was having to make all those tackles but I think Zac (Diles) has become a fine, fine player. So, he's taking a lot of pressure and made a lot of plays from that standpoint. We're playing better up front right now than we've played in a while around here. So, he's got a lot more help but believe me, he's still playing well and I expect some big things out of him the rest of the way."

Ryans has played through serious injuries before, but Kubiak said this is the time in the season when a number of every-down players are starting to drag and their play suffers slightly. Most get their second wind pretty quickly, and Kubiak expects that to happen for Ryans.

It doesn't help that the Texans no longer have a mid-season bye week, but they are dealing well with it so far. Kubiak is also resting Ryans at times during practice, but since Ryans orchestrates the defense and wears the transmitter on the field, it's hard to keep him out of practice for very long.

"You've got to understand he's played every snap for this football team going on two and a half years," Kubiak said. "He's played a lot, a lot of football and it's that time of the season in the National Football League when you get to week eight, nine and 10 where everybody is really dragging and tired and beat up.

"You just kind of have to keep plugging and you seem to get a second wind towards the end. He's in that boat right now. We've got to just keep going, but I think he's OK."

Ryans still remains second on the team behind Diles in tackles. Does his play concern you at all, or is the play of another defender concerning you as the team hits the midway point?

I havent had a chance to look at the HOU DL yet but my gut tells me that there is an uptick in the % of tackles this year versus last yr for them as a unit...IF i get the chance I will try and take a look at the HOU defense to see how each unit is performing compared to last year...oh and can you supply the link to your post too, tia

Keg, Keg, Keg..........you know I respect the hell out of your stats and the research you do. But in this case it is more cut and dry than stats and trends. Diles is a playmaker that is getting to the ball and making tackles. Some of those are tackels that Demeco had to make in previous years, because the guys around him were not as good. I know you do not and have not given Diles any credit since the beginning of the year, but he is in fact taking tackles away from Ryans. Will Bentley play at the same level? I doubt it, but he could. Either way I do expect Ryans numbers to bump back up with Diles out. As you said Greenwood's should too.

Keg, Keg, Keg..........you know I respect the hell out of your stats and the research you do. But in this case it is more cut and dry than stats and trends. Diles is a playmaker that is getting to the ball and making tackles. Some of those are tackels that Demeco had to make in previous years, because the guys around him were not as good. I know you do not and have not given Diles any credit since the beginning of the year, but he is in fact taking tackles away from Ryans. Will Bentley play at the same level? I doubt it, but he could. Either way I do expect Ryans numbers to bump back up with Diles out. As you said Greenwood's should too.

Zia, Zia, Zia ....:wacko:

I had warmed up some on diles but yeah I still had a fair amount of reservations on him longer term...the point of my posts with regards to csrulz16 is that it is just not fair nor the truth to say that Ryans never had anyone next to him doing anything...greenwood's past 2 seasons (especially last year) show that....that was my point...not to go overboard and say it is 100% Diles fault that Ryans is struggling...imo, it just is not fair to greenwood to dismiss his past performances like that....I do agree Diles was making plays and it also looks like the D in general is improved...remember after the Steeler game I tried to tell you I didnt think it was as bad as it looked...just please as a well informed texans fan support that Ryans did have someone performing well next to him in past years.

:D

"Linebacker DeMeco Ryans picked up 11 solo tackles in the Week 10 loss to the Ravens. He had seven or fewer total stops in six straight games." http://www.rototimes.com/nfl/player.php?tqid=6419

Diles maybe???

really? so you are just gonna ignore that YOU said Ryans never had a player worth anything playing next to him?

and while not having diles helped so did facing a ravens team that gives up among the leagues most tackle opportunities(just like they did today)

Greenwood's always been a decent LB - fantasy and otherwise.... Diles is just a better playmaker and all-around better athlete than Ryans. Maybe having him there - instead of Greenwood - ate into Ryans' stats a bit more. Ryans has been dinged up, too. Now that Ryans appears to be 100% (guessing here) and Diles is out for the season, I certainly won't be shocked to see Ryans playing like he did last season.

really? so you are just gonna ignore that YOU said Ryans never had a player worth anything playing next to him?

and while not having diles helped so did facing a ravens team that gives up among the leagues most tackle opportunities(just like they did today)

I said he never had anyone playing around him the past few years. Greenwood is not good and the Dline has improved. Have you even seen Greenwood play or do you just sit on your computer and look at stats. Diles was a maniac on the field. If you don't see a correlation between him playing and Ryans's tackle numbers then you are an idiot. Ravens ran the ball 36 times with RBs and Ryans had 11 tackles. Last week with Diles, Ryans only had 3 solos and Minnesota ran the ball 32 times. Ryans hasn't overcome an injury either if thats your next brilliant explanation. He missed practice this week b/c of his shoulder.

Edited by csrulz16

Aren't you Mr. Brilliant. Greenwood had the exact same crappy numbers he has had all year. 2 WHOLE SOLOS TODAY! And against "the leagues most tackle opportunities". My God!

:D The Greenwood comparison wasn't for this season, guy. Greenwood runs the WLB. Had he manned the SAM spot, he likely would have duplicated the 4 solos and 3 assists (and a sack) that starter Kevin Bentley recorded. 13 fantasy points. Only 0.67 fewer points than Diles' season average.

It's really a matter of matchup. When a team like Baltimore is the opposition, the SLB is going to have a ton of tackling opportunities.

To say Ryans has never had any talent around him is simply not true. However, he's never had a playmaking talent like Diles around him.

E2A: Take a look at Week 6. Diles recorded a whopping 3 solos. Sorry, 3 WHOLE SOLOS! Greenwood? Oh yeah, he had 6 solos and a couple of assists. :wacko:

Edited by darin3

:D The Greenwood comparison wasn't for this season, guy. Greenwood runs the WLB. Had he manned the SAM spot, he likely would have duplicated the 4 solos and 3 assists (and a sack) that starter Kevin Bentley recorded. 13 fantasy points. Only 0.67 fewer points than Diles' season average.

It's really a matter of matchup. When a team like Baltimore is the opposition, the SLB is going to have a ton of tackling opportunities.

To say Ryans has never had any talent around him is simply not true. However, he's never had a playmaking talent like Diles around him.

E2A: Take a look at Week 6. Diles recorded a whopping 3 solos. Sorry, 3 WHOLE SOLOS! Greenwood? Oh yeah, he had 6 solos and a couple of assists. :wacko:

Your buddy said Greenwood's tackle numbers would INCREASE MORE THAN RYANS (not explicitly but thats what he means). Look again! GUY!

And what week are we in??? Why do you have to go back a month to find a statistic that suits your argument? Diles leaves - Ryans's numbers increase and Greenwood's stayed the same. Exactly the opposite of what Keggers said would happen.

Edited by csrulz16

Your buddy said Greenwood's tackle numbers would INCREASE MORE THAN RYANS (not explicitly but thats what he means). Look again! GUY!

And what week are we in??? Why do you have to go back a month to find a statistic that suits your argument? Diles leaves - Ryans's numbers increase and Greenwood's stayed the same. Exactly the opposite of what Keggers said would happen.

Actually, he said he expected Greenwood's "numbers" to improve. He didn't specify tackles vs. other stats. Plus, he didn't say it would happen overnight. Again, it's a matchup-based thing. Teams that run the ball at a higher clip tend to give the SAM more tackling opportunities. It's how Diles made a name for himself earlier in the season. Let's see how Greenwood's stats compare moving forward to what he's posted thus far in the season. I'm going to guess that Bentley has two "bigger" games moving forward, and Greenwood's stats should be improved - over what he's posted thus far on the season - in the other four games. Matchups.

No reason to be so confrontational here, by the way. This is a discussion forum and everyone's entitled to their own opinions. Keg has done an inordinate amount of research and work for this forum and should be commended for it. We've disagreed plenty (go look at our discussions on Sims vs. Keiaho) but I find it pretty weak when someone comes here looking for advice and ends up just name-calling.

Edited by darin3

Actually, he said he expected Greenwood's "numbers" to improve. He didn't specify tackles vs. other stats. Plus, he didn't say it would happen overnight. Again, it's a matchup-based thing. Teams that run the ball at a higher clip tend to give the SAM more tackling opportunities. It's how Diles made a name for himself earlier in the season. Let's see how Greenwood's stats compare moving forward to what he's posted thus far in the season. I'm going to guess that Bentley has two "bigger" games moving forward, and Greenwood's stats should be improved - over what he's posted thus far on the season - in the other four games. Matchups.

No reason to be so confrontational here, by the way. This is a discussion forum and everyone's entitled to their own opinions. Keg has done an inordinate amount of research and work for this forum and should be commended for it. We've disagreed plenty (go look at our discussions on Sims vs. Keiaho) but I find it pretty weak when someone comes here looking for advice and ends up just name-calling.

Agreed. Keg is too good for you C-16. Greenwood's numbers last year were not dramaticaly different from Diles.

Yea he GOT ME! shuks

if you are going to continue to post in this forum it would be appreciated if you knocked off the name calling...there is enough of that in the main forum and we don't need or want that in this forum because it is counterproductive to the value of this forum ...discussions are fine, as are multiple POVs but name calling doesn't have any place here and it won't be tolerated.

if you are going to continue to post in this forum it would be appreciated if you knocked off the name calling...there is enough of that in the main forum and we don't need or want that in this forum because it is counterproductive to the value of this forum ...discussions are fine, as are multiple POVs but name calling doesn't have any place here and it won't be tolerated.

Dude, he isnt name calling you. You are coming across like a pompus ass that knows everything and this guy is bringing something to the table, yet you refuse to accept his argument. Greenwood is no where near the talent of Diles, and whether he piled up a load of tackles because he was on the field a ton, or not doesnt make him talented. I completely agree Ryans has never had talent around him like Diles, and as a result his numbers have suffered a bit. Why not let someone else have an opinion, rather than cram yours down everyones throat. And save the name calling, he called you Mr Brilliant because you act like you are in this forum.

Edit to add:

Im sure you are going to tell me how I dont know anything either, and throw some tabulations together to prove how smart you are. But dont fail to bring this to the table as well. Ive schooled your ass repeatedly in leagues through out the years. My success over you, even with your questionable league management, in addition to new rules in place to prevent your practices , speaks volumes. Just bring that to the table with your future tabulations. :wacko:

Edited by Sgt Ryan