[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Worst final play ever

DMD

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was leading my game by 0.05 points with Gore going against me. I thought for sure I was doomed. Luckiest win I've ever had.

I was on the edge of my chair because I thought that I'd lose with a Gore TD. Turns out I still would have won, by 1.1 points.

Oh the excitement.

I was leading my game by 0.05 points with Gore going against me. I thought for sure I was doomed. Luckiest win I've ever had.

Uhhh, you didn't care that a Gore TD might've given you a HOT win?

Glad you ended up happy! Nice game, for me!

Uhhh, you didn't care that a Gore TD might've given you a HOT win?

Glad you ended up happy! Nice game, for me!

Nope. The league I won in I'm still actually competitive. HOT is a total disaster.

Edit: And I'd have lost in both leagues......not an uncommon occurrence.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

we give 3 bonus points if you get 100 yards rushing or receiving. guy in my league had gore and was up by 3. the drop from 100 yards to 99 yards cost him 4 points (we don't do decimal scoring) and he lost.

What play could have a lower chance of success? Running Robinson? You roll out the QB to one side so he can throw or run. You put 3 guys in the edzone. You do not run up the middle with your worse RB.

Agreed.

If Singletary has any cajones (and I think he does) he better come out in support of his team tonight and put this loss on himself (and Martz).

Singletary didn't blame the team for the loss. But he didn't overly blame the coaches either. Just said that the call was made and the coaches thought there was going to be a hole in the middle. Obviously there wasn't.

Edited by Riffraff

we give 3 bonus points if you get 100 yards rushing or receiving. guy in my league had gore and was up by 3. the drop from 100 yards to 99 yards cost him 4 points (we don't do decimal scoring) and he lost.

Ouch. FWIW, I hate bonus points because they're so arbitrary, nothing to do with what goes on on the field.

All I gotta say is Bill Bidwell needs to swallow whatever pride he has and PAY BOLDIN!!! You cannot let this guy go!!!! I mean the guy had 40 bolts and 8 plates put in his face and he comes back 3 weeks later - right back to being a top 3 WR in the game.

Isn't Warner's contract up at the end of the season too? Does this Bidwell guy like to spend $$?

Isn't Warner's contract up at the end of the season too?

2/14/2006: Signed a three-year, $15 million contract. The deal included a $3 million signing bonus. Another $7 million is available through incentives. 2008: $4 million, 2009: Free Agent. Cap charge: $5 million (2008).

But he slammed into the line first and was falling away when the guy touched him. I think it was the correct call.

I agree. there was a few bad calls but that was not 1 of them.

If Singletary has any cajones (and I think he does) he better come out in support of his team tonight and put this loss on himself (and Martz).

I just cannot believe Martz called those plays..that just was not a Martz play. something tells me Singletary decided on those plays.

I agree. there was a few bad calls but that was not 1 of them.

I just cannot believe Martz called those plays..that just was not a Martz play. something tells me Singletary decided on those plays.

being the "team" guy he is- Mike already stated post game that Mike Martz called those plays.

Not that a "team first" guy like Mike would throw his OC under the bus or anything..........

the clock management was beyond bad - Singletary is a clown and not a head coach.

Dude is a little to full of himself IMO and should just stick to the motivational speaking circuit

Singletary didn't blame the team for the loss. But he didn't overly blame the coaches either. Just said that the call was made and the coaches thought there was going to be a hole in the middle. Obviously there wasn't.

ESPN said something about Singletary allowing Martz to call that particular play. I'll bet he never makes that mistake again.

It's puzzling that Martz has such poor decision-making skills, as he's second to none as an OC and a QB-developer.

ESPN said something about Singletary allowing Martz to call that particular play. I'll bet he never makes that mistake again.

It's puzzling that Martz has such poor decision-making skills, as he's second to none as an OC and a QB-developer.

I thought that I read somewhere recently that Martz, as a play caller, runs in goal line situations more than most any other play callers. I wish I had that info....Big John, any help?

Edited by Pancake

Was listening to some sports radio and they were talking with Matt Mayoko, the 49er reporter. He interviewed Martz earlier today.

First off, Martz takes full responsibility for the botched time blown on spiking the ball. There was confusion between him and Hill. He was sending in another package to instantly run a play, and Hill was trying to just spike it. Martz was being greedy and wanted to run 3 plays, not two.

What happened with the final play call was this (According to Martz) - When the refs reviewed Gore's first run and made their ruling on it, they didn't come over to the sideline to explain it to the coaches. The coaches on the sidelines can't usually hear their calls that they make on the field, and usually hear it when they walk over to tell them. Mike Martz had no idea the ball was being placed at the 2 1/2 yard line, he thought it was at the 1 where Gore eventually ended up falling. He said had he known it wasn't at the 1 yard line, there was no way he would have called that play, which was designed to pick up one yard only. Secondly, the play was supposed to start with Gore in the backfield, then he motions to split out wide. Because Martz had no idea the play clock was going to start on the whistle, he called this play. Gore and Hill thought quickly and started the play with Gore already split out. (Had Gore motioned outside, it probably would have opened the middle up more)

Martz had no idea the ball was spotted at the 2 1/2 yard line until Mike Nolan called him this morning asking him why he ran their play that was designed for 1 yard from the 2.5...

While it sounds like a miscommunication between the refs and coaches, in addition to being under pressure from a moving clock... the coaches do have the ultimate responsibility. Martz was fully accountable when being interviewed though. He said he wasn't making excuses, just explanations, but ultimately it fell on him.

He also explained that Hill's second pick (the shovel to Adrian Wilson) wasn't his fault. He said in that in plays where Gore goes up and out from the backfield, if the QB is in trouble and scrambles outside, the designed play is for the back to angle towards him for the quick dump; which is exactly how Hill read it. At the last second, rather than angle towards Hill, Gore angled up which put Wilson right in front of Hill's pass. Martz said that while that stat will always fall on a QB for a reason because it is ultimately their decision, Gore broke from the design of the play.