[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Worst final play ever

DMD

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A better coach (or say a more respected coach) like BB or Shanni would have had a pow-wow with the refs and got the time and distance and such before the clock started.

Horrible call either way much like Philly 4th down but time was more of an issue here, in Philly they just called a donkey.

Edited by rai

What amazes me the most is that the 49ers did'nt already have a play in mind should the 1st and goal, Gore running play not work or lose yardage. There was no contingency plan. As a 9er fan that game was very hard to watch. Yeah they were playing better than they had in previous games, but the only reason they were in it at all is because AZ made so many bone headed penalties at the most critical times (9 or 10 penalties I think)which just kept the 9ers in the hunt. I'm wondering how they spend their first round pick next year....on a QB, or go into free agency and sign a 'real" QB to the roster who can help them win.

I thought that I read somewhere recently that Martz, as a play caller, runs in goal line situations more than most any other play callers. I wish I had that info....Big John, any help?

He is known for screwy things, such as passing, or in the case of last night, run a non-featured back when the pass was the best play.

I am convinced after witnessing one more instance of the "brilliance" of Mike Martz, that he has achieved a unique place in the hearts of Defensive Coaches everywhere. The man is a team killer (kind of like Santana Moss). He needs to be treated by Samarai Mike like Buddy Ryan once treated Kevin Gilbride, with a good sock on the jaw. No concept of team football, controlling the clock, giving the defense a rest, establishing tempo and ultimately is totally immersed in his own genius. He is the consummate "video game" O coordinator! An anachronism in today's game, he belongs in the mad genius wing of Football Asylum, along with the likes of Don Coryell and Sid Gilman.