[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Projections for the Rest of the Season

muck

Projected Over / Outperform Current W/L % in Future Games:

+0.242 KC (i.e, current W/L is 0.111 and current projections have them at 0.353 in their final 7 games ... or going 2-5 to finish the season)

+0.202 DET

+0.193 CIN

+0.151 SF

+0.126 OAK

-0.103 NE

-0.150 WAS

-0.156 CAR

-0.251 NYG

-0.253 TEN (i.e, current W/L is 1.000 and current projections have them at 0.747 in their final 7 games ... or going 5-2 to finish the season)

Widest Expected Average Margin of Victory (or Loss) in Future Games:

-9.5 DET

-9.3 STL

-7.5 CIN

-6.2 OAK

-4.8 KC

+4.0 ARI

+4.1 TB

+4.1 NYJ

+4.6 NYG

+7.0 TEN

Points Allowed by the Average Future Defense to Face:

DET 19.7 pts allowed on average by future opponents (i.e., they're really stingy)

NYG 20.1

CIN 20.3

PIT 20.5

DAL 20.5

STL 23.9

SF 23.9

KC 24.2

MIA 24.5

CHI 25.0 (i.e., ole!)

Points Scored by the Average Future Offense to Face:

NYG 24.3 pts scored on average by future opponents (i.e., be ready to bet the 'over')

MIN 24.2

CAR 24.1

JAX 24.1

SEA 23.8

KC 21.0

IND 20.9

SF 20.6

SD 20.3

MIA 19.3 (i.e., playing against JV offenses)

Projected Playoff Teams and Seeding

14-2 TEN

10-6 NYJ

10-6 BAL

8-8 DEN

10-6 NE

10-6 PIT

12-4 NYG

11-5 CAR

10-6 ARI

9-7 CHI

11-5 WAS

10-6 TB

2009 NFL Draft Projected Order

1-15 DET

3-13 CIN

3-13 KC

4-12 STL

4-12 SEA

4-12 OAK

5-11 SF

6-10 HOU

6-10 CLE

7-9 JAX

7-9 NO

8-8 SD

8-8 GB

8-8 MIN

8-8 DAL

9-7 BUF

9-7 PHI

9-7 IND

9-7 MIA

10-6 ATL

Next Weeks Winners (76-52 through last week; didn't pick week one games):

BUF beats CLE

NYJ beats NE

MIA beats OAK

PIT beats SD

NYG beats BAL

PHI beats CIN

TEN beats JAX

IND beats HOU

ATL beats DEN

NO beats KC

WAS beats DAL

CHI beats GB

TB beats MIN

CAR beats DET

ARI beats SEA

SF beats STL

Edited by muck

I'm sure most of us find it interesting and are appreciative.

I don't have [b}muck[/b] to discuss, but will throw something out there... I find it interesting that you think San Diego sucks so much :wacko:

Since you have SD and DEN finishing with the same record, do you think that DEN beats 'em in the final game or is there some other tie breaker you're looking at?

muck (author) or much?

I'm sure most of us find it interesting and are appreciative.

I don't have muck to discuss, but will throw something out there... I find it interesting that you think San Diego sucks so much :wacko:

Since you have SD and DEN finishing with the same record, do you think that DEN beats 'em in the final game or is there some other tie breaker you're looking at?

I don't get into tie-breakers...I just project based on the probability of winning ... so, if a team is projects to have a 0.600 winning percentage over the final four games of the season, that would be calculated at being 4.2 wins and 2.8 losses ... add that to their existing W/L % and figure out their W/L % for the season ... whomever has the highest W/L % gets the nod. So, currently, DEN has a slightly higher W/L percentage than does SD, but once rounding is taken into account, each team ends up at 8-8.

Also, it may be worth noting that, based on a ranking of the projected end-of-year W/L %, both teams are in the bottom half of the NFL...

Edited by muck

+1 and then some. It's good stuff, just don't know what I'd add

I don't know ... maybe even just an observation or two ... like:

Who'd have thought that before the season started that all these teams below would be on a pace for .500 or worse records and be out of the playoffs at the end of the year:

4-12 SEA

6-10 HOU

6-10 CLE

7-9 JAX

7-9 NO

8-8 SD

8-8 GB

8-8 MIN

8-8 DAL

A study in contrasts:

NYG:

+4.6 pts / game = Average winning margin

24.3 pts / game = Average future opponent average point scored per game

20.1 pts / game = Average future opponent average points allowed per game

-0.251 expected W/L % underperformance (vs. current W/L %) over the rest of the season

KC:

-4.8 pts / game = average losing margin

21.0 pts / game = Average future opponent average point scored per game

24.2 pts / game = Average future opponent average points allowed per game

+0.242 expected W/L % outperformance (vs. current W/L %) over the rest of the season

...in other words, if KC puts together a decent string to close out the season, don't read too much into it as it regards whether or not they've turned a corner...same thing with NYG hitting a tough patch prior to the playoffs...

Edited by muck

I can see that this must take a good amount of your time....that is appreciated.

to sit and study the numbers is fascinating. but wouldn't it also be helpful to know

average numbers on past opponents? (dont mean to cause you more work, honest)

ie. a team has a good record because they played bad teams, and vice versa and their schedule is about to flip flop?

also....concerning my Patriots...this may also pertain to other teams, but honestly i didn't do the math on them.

their avg future opponent scored 21.9 points per game

the Patriots allowed 17.8 points per game.

their avg future opponent allows 21.55 points per game.

the Patriots scored 20.9 points per game.

how does this translate into the Patriots losing 3 out of their last 7 games?

does it have something to do with their avg winning margin? or the differentials?

and would it make sense to throw out 'blow out' games Jets/StL, NE/Buff? but i guess that would be an entirely

different way of calculating....

thanks.....and dont go to a whole lot of trouble with the numbers if you don't already have them.

good stuff :wacko:

Next Weeks Winners (76-52 through last week; didn't pick week one games):

BUF beats CLE

NYJ beats NE

MIA beats OAK

PIT beats SD

NYG beats BAL

PHI beats CIN

TEN beats JAX

IND beats HOU

ATL beats DEN

NO beats KC

WAS beats DAL

CHI beats GB

TB beats MIN

CAR beats DET

ARI beats SEA

SF beats STL

Picking all the favorites must be pretty tough... :wacko:

I can see that this must take a good amount of your time....that is appreciated.

to sit and study the numbers is fascinating. but wouldn't it also be helpful to know

average numbers on past opponents? (dont mean to cause you more work, honest)

ie. a team has a good record because they played bad teams, and vice versa and their schedule is about to flip flop?

I gave this sort of info last week; no one commented so I did not repeat it.

also....concerning my Patriots...this may also pertain to other teams, but honestly i didn't do the math on them.

their avg future opponent scored 21.9 points per game

the Patriots allowed 17.8 points per game.

their avg future opponent allows 21.55 points per game.

the Patriots scored 20.9 points per game.

how does this translate into the Patriots losing 3 out of their last 7 games?

does it have something to do with their avg winning margin? or the differentials?

and would it make sense to throw out 'blow out' games Jets/StL, NE/Buff? but i guess that would be an entirely

different way of calculating....

First, I project W/L % for each team based on the games yet to play (so, a team may project to win 4.721 games and lose 2.279 games over the final seven games of the season), and then add that to their current wins and losses to determine the W/L % for the season for each team ... which is then used to project playoff participants.

So, assuming you're right on your numbers (no time to double check right now), NE's current Margin of Victory (MoV) is +3.1 ... and their future opponents have a MoV of +0.35 ... indicating that the teams that NE are going to play teams that are relatively decent (on average) ... so, their future W/L % would be slightly lower than it would be if (say) they were facing teams that had a MoV of exactly 0 ... hence them winning four (rounded) and losing three (rounded).

A couple of other things that play into my projections include:

* the differential between the historic W/L % of teams played in games that didn't involve the reference team vs. the W/L % of the reference team ... which allows us to compare how, for example, the teams TEN played when they were playing teams other than TEN in order to determine how difficult TENs schedule actually is...and then compare that to everyone elses' historic schedule difficulty.

* the differential between the historic W/L % of teams still to be played by the reference team vs. the historic W/L % of the reference team ... which allows for a comparison of how strong the teams are when playing teams other than the reference team.

So muck, who do my Lions beat?

Right now, my money is on 0-11 beats 11-0 on Turkey Day. It's just too damn perfect; the Lions will finally have raised futility to an art form.

Peace

policy

Generally, I project the future W/L % of each team based on a variety of factors.

One way to sum it up for DET is something like this:

* Based on all of the inputs I look at, DET has about a 0.200 forward W/L % for the rest of the season, or about a 1 in 5 chance of winning each game.

* DET has seven more games on their schedule.

* Statistically, they should win 1.4 games ... rounded to 1.0 games.

Who it is is anyone's guess.

NOTE: If my probabilities are right, there is a 20% chance that they go 0-16; also, there is about a 0.001% chance that they win the final seven games of the year.

Picking all the favorites must be pretty tough... :D

AHEM:

THU 8:15 PM NYJ @ NEP -3.5

SUN 8:15 PM DAL @ WAS 1.5

:wacko:

NOTE: I just go from the spreadsheet to the post without really thinking about it ... and doing this has given me a 59.375% winning record when picking the winners outright of every game of the season (except week 1 games where there were no inputs available).

AHEM:

THU 8:15 PM NYJ @ NEP -3.5

SUN 8:15 PM DAL @ WAS 1.5

:wacko:

NOTE: I just go from the spreadsheet to the post without really thinking about it ... and doing this has given me a 59.375% winning record when picking the winners outright of every game of the season (except week 1 games where there were no inputs available).

I was poking fun. I know you spend lots of time on this...