[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Always start your stud?

T-Scorp

Not sure this is right forum for this but...

I know Romo is back but can I start him over Thigpen who has been on fire?

I guess this goes back to the always start your studs mentallity, but in the case of coming off an injury does this hold true. I have always preferred Stud theory vs matchup theory but is there a time when a stud is not a stud due to matchup or returning from an injury or poor line play?

I guess this goes back to the always start your studs mentallity, but in the case of coming off an injury does this hold true. I have always preferred Stud theory vs matchup theory but is there a time when a stud is not a stud due to matchup or returning from an injury or poor line play?

I certainly subscribe to the "start your stud" theory, but as you intimate here, I think there are caveats: one, and most importantly, injury status. Romo is supposedly playing with some kind of splint/brace. Not sure how/if it will affect his throwing, but you'd think it would have to, no?

A second caveat - albeit not quite as important - is matchup. Yeah, Romo's a "stud", but has a difficult road matchup against a divisional rival. Thigpen, who has been "on fire", has a terrific matchup.

As an aside, I'm starting Thigpen over Jason Campbell this week. While Campbell is not of Romo's stud ilk, he's been steady all season and represents a fine start.

I don't think anyone would look sideways at you for taking into consideration the injury concern and matchup when leaving Romo on the bench in favor of Thigpen.

Man, never thought I'd say something like that! :wacko:

I've got the same problem. I just traded for Romo and picked up Thigpen. I've also got Delhomme coming off a terrible game and now playing the Lions. Guranteed I'll pick the wrong guy. I've got Romo in there now because I could see this maybe being a high-scoring game, but who's knows? With Springs hobbled and Dallas with a chip on their shoulder, they could be out to make a statement. Or Romo could hurt his pinky on the first play and be out for the whole game. Not an easy call, but I don't want to miss out on Romo if he throws for 300 yards and 3 TD's.

IMHO, the start your stud theory is based on your stud going through a couple of bad games, and not on coming back from injury...it usually takes 'any' ball player a few quarters to again get used to the rhythm of game play, so tempering your expectations is usually a good thing.

And by all means, I'd play Thigpen this weekend over Romo in a heartbeat... :wacko:

I personally NEVER start a player the week he comes back from an injury, unless he is a shut-up stud and/or I have no competent backup at that position. Romo was making noise about not missing any time at all, and instead he needed like a month to come back. I wouldn't touch Romo this week if you have a hot hand in there.

Peace

policy

Your stud is not a stud when it's week 10 and he's not putting up stud numbers. At some point, you have to readjust. I'm at that stage with LT right now. First half of the season, dude is the #1 overall pick and a must start regardless of the matchup. Now, if it's him @ Pitt or someone like Forte vs a weak run D, you've got to think long and hard about sitting him.

He's still good enough to start against even a decent D, but nobody you have to feel bad about not rolling out regardless of the matchup. His name alone is not worth 20 FF pts.

Same obviously goes for B Edwards, Larry Johnson, to some degree Randy Moss...

I still remember the time when I benched Peyton Manning against a tough TB Defense. There's no way one Peyton Manning that hadn't had a decent game so far to date would tear up a shut down defense like a dominating Bucs D. Right?

No Wrong. :wacko:

Week 5 of 2003 was the scene of the crime. He had 3 passing tds after week three, had a great week 4 then faced a Tampa team that absolutely shut teams down that year.

Edited by MikesVikes

I'm in this same boat..Thigpen vs Romo. I agree that Romo won't be 100% and that there is a lot of risk in starting him...BUT is Thigpen a proven player? Does 2 good games out of 3 qualify? Before the injury, Romo was a guaranteed 20+ pts every week. This is a must win game for the Cowboys IMO...so they're going to try to come out blazin' in this game. Romo is definitely a high risk/reward player this week...I just think the possible reward could far outweigh the 250/2 that is likely for Thigpen.

Lets take this to a different level cause these aren't studs were talking about - their either hurt guys or guys that may have had the label either by reputation or past performance but simply aren't that anymore....

In looking at last week, lets say you had Brian Westbrook (an always start stud) as your number 2 RB (somehow you also have APete for instance), but your third RB was Thomas Jones agaist the Rams - do you take matchups into circumstance especially at RB in the "always start the stud" argument? Hindsight is obviously 10/40 (hindsight should be a lot better than "good" vision)...but should there be a level of matchup differential that would go against "always start your studs"

I'm starting Matt Ryan in 2 leagues over Homo...I mean Romo. Just have to see what he does first and Ryan's been playing very well also. My only worry is that Hotlanta doesn't have to throw because Turner and Norwood are running all over the hapless Broncos D.

While kinda in same boat.....Reggie Bush coming off injury, Even if he played I was going to play Marion Barber against the skins and everyone that plays fantasy football, should know MB3 is owned by the skins. So I made the choice even if Bush played......against KC, that a healthy Barber against a team that owns him is a better start. I don't like playing injured players, you never know if they are completely healed. It's a business and I believe players are rushed back......not at 75% but 85% and up sure. I think, like every week there are different variables, Where is the defense ranked, are there injuries that affect the start offense or defense and mostly just pure research........(Blind Luck!) A stud is a target and when his targets start to fade thats when he is not a stud! Looks and Touches........

Edited by IrishPride