[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The ribds are on. I repeat, the ribs are on.

Chief Dick

Got a bit of a late start today, but they should be ready after the first quarter.

Soaked them in apple juice overnight, which is something I typically don't do. Towel dried the ribs, and then put on a simple rub I got out of the Raichlan book.

Celery salt

Paprika

Fresh ground pepper

Garlic powder

Something else. Can't remember.

Anyway, using a combo of hickory and cherry. This is a tip from a competitor who is known around here for his ribs. I'll do a 2 hours on, 2 hours in foil(bone side UP), and a one hour finish.

I will typically mix some honey in with a spicy BBQ sauce just to give it enough stickiness to hang on the slab.

Have you scored any " Wabash" sauce yet? my family didn't like the Gates cause it was to vinegerie...i think it's a nice change of pace instead of the same ole Honey BBQ

I stick with the Gates for the most part. I just add enough honey to make the sauce sticky.

I know I need to branch out, but I do this so infrequently any more that I go with the tried and true.

First day in a week it hasn't been raining so, although it's only 50 degrees outside, I put a pork shoulder on the smoker. . . . :fingerscrossed:

How big was the shoulder, and what time did you start?

And it's 45 here right now. Probably 40 when I started 2 hours ago. No problem with the heat in this weather.

How big was the shoulder, and what time did you start?

And it's 45 here right now. Probably 40 when I started 2 hours ago. No problem with the heat in this weather.

I'd say about a 3 pounder. I pierced a bunch of deep holes in it with a knife, started it about 10:30. I'm hoping to get it 2 hours in the smoke and then finish it in the oven. . .hopefully have pulled pork sammiches by 4:00 kickoffs. Not the most time in the smoker, but hopefully enough to get some results.

I'd say about a 3 pounder. I pierced a bunch of deep holes in it with a knife, started it about 10:30. I'm hoping to get it 2 hours in the smoke and then finish it in the oven. . .hopefully have pulled pork sammiches by 4:00 kickoffs. Not the most time in the smoker, but hopefully enough to get some results.

You'll be fine. A cut of meat can only absorb so much smoke, so the rest of the time you're adding a little smoke but really more of the cooking part of the equation.

And I would guess you would easily be done by 4.

Do you cook your shoulder up to 200 internal? I usually do that if I'm doing pulled pork.

You'll be fine. A cut of meat can only absorb so much smoke, so the rest of the time you're adding a little smoke but really more of the cooking part of the equation.

And I would guess you would easily be done by 4.

Do you cook your shoulder up to 200 internal? I usually do that if I'm doing pulled pork.

Don't know about internal temp. I do a bone-in and pull it when the bone easily pulls out of the roast. It's a beautiful thing.

I have 4 racks of spares in the fridge with the membrane removed ready to go. 2 buddies coming over for the games tomorrow.

I'll dust them (with my go to rub I got from the innernets) about 9 or 930 am and throw 'em on the smoker about 11. Cherry is the wood.

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup non-iodized table salt

1/8 cup brown sugar, dried

4 teaspoons chili powder

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon Accent (MSG)

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground

1 teaspoon granulated garlic

1 teaspoon onion powder

225 degrees or so for about 3 1/2 to 4 hours, then an hour or so in foil. CD, I noticed you do 2 hours, then 2 in foil then an hour without. Any special reason?

Tomorrow will be a good day. :wacko:

I have 4 racks of spares in the fridge with the membrane removed ready to go. 2 buddies coming over for the games tomorrow.

I'll dust them (with my go to rub I got from the innernets) about 9 or 930 am and throw 'em on the smoker about 11. Cherry is the wood.

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup non-iodized table salt

1/8 cup brown sugar, dried

4 teaspoons chili powder

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon Accent (MSG)

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground

1 teaspoon granulated garlic

1 teaspoon onion powder

225 degrees or so for about 3 1/2 to 4 hours, then an hour or so in foil. CD, I noticed you do 2 hours, then 2 in foil then an hour without. Any special reason?

Tomorrow will be a good day. :wacko:

No real reason. I have a good buddy who competes in contests around here, and he is known for his ribs. So I follow his advice on this one. The theory is that you get them in the foil before they have a chance to dry out. You put the ribs in the foil with the back side UP, so the meat will cook in it's own juices. Then the last hour just puts a little color to the outside. And I tend to have my heat get up to the 250 or 275 range. Just my preference, and works perfectly with the 5 hour timetable.

If you have some apple juice or apple cider, I would recommend marinating them overnight. They will be awesome.

No real reason. I have a good buddy who competes in contests around here, and he is known for his ribs. So I follow his advice on this one. The theory is that you get them in the foil before they have a chance to dry out. You put the ribs in the foil with the back side UP, so the meat will cook in it's own juices. Then the last hour just puts a little color to the outside. And I tend to have my heat get up to the 250 or 275 range. Just my preference, and works perfectly with the 5 hour timetable.

If you have some apple juice or apple cider, I would recommend marinating them overnight. They will be awesome.

I have no juice or cider in the house. But I will try it next time.

I will however try the 2, 2, 1 that you do. I assume you don't sauce anything until they come off, correct?

I have no juice or cider in the house. But I will try it next time.

I will however try the 2, 2, 1 that you do. I assume you don't sauce anything until they come off, correct?

I will sauce them with about 10 minutes to go. Just enough to warm up the sauce on the meat.

Oh, and don't forget to mop the meat. Mop after an hour. Mop right before they go into the foil. And then mop when you put them on the smoker for the last hour.