[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The ribds are on. I repeat, the ribs are on.

Chief Dick

what am I mopping with? :wacko:

You need to make one. Here's an easy one:

1 Beer

1/2 cup cider vinegar. I substitute regular vinegar if I don't have any cider

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1/2 onion, chopped

1 clove minced garlic. I use the garlic already minced in a jar here. Figure a tablespoon or two here

A tablespoon of your leftover rub

Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce. If you have it.

Mix ingredients and warm up in a saucepan. I usually throw an old saucepan in the smoker and it stays warm there. Don't worry if you don't have all the stuff. I usually just mix and match what I have. The key is to mop it (or baste it) every hour. When the ribs are in the foil don't worry about mopping it then. The juices if the meat does the trick.

I cannot stress this enough: when the meat is in the foil put the back side UP. Meat side down in the foil.

A couple of thoughts.

Why foil when a mop will do? I never foil my ribs and just mop every 20 minutes and the ribs don't dry out. I use a simple mop of 1 cup apple juice and 1/4 cup cider vinegar. Apply the rub the night before and let them marinate in that.

Cook you ribs flat, bone side down. Don't use a rib rack, you're inviting trouble.

You should never use MSG on your ribs. Period.

A couple of thoughts.

Why foil when a mop will do? I never foil my ribs and just mop every 20 minutes and the ribs don't dry out. I use a simple mop of 1 cup apple juice and 1/4 cup cider vinegar. Apply the rub the night before and let them marinate in that.

Cook you ribs flat, bone side down. Don't use a rib rack, you're inviting trouble.

I've done it both ways, and I can honestly say the foil method is better. Mainly because they cook in their own juices instead of the juice falling into the smoker.

As far as putting the rub on the night before, for me I like to do it about 30 minutes before they go on the smoker. My theory is that the salt in the rub may pull some moisture out of the meat.

Just personal preference for me.

Edited by Chief Dick

A couple of thoughts.

I've done it both ways, and I can honestly say the foil method is better. Mainly because they cook in their own juices instead of the juice falling into the smoker.

As far as putting the rub on the night before, for me I like to do it about 30 minutes before they go on the smoker. My theory is that the salt in the rub may pull some moisture out of the meat.

Just personal preference for me.

My method is a combo - rub goes on the day before and the ribs get 2 hours in foil with a little apple juice. :wacko: